The Wishing Well on Bellenden Road

tommy

• 2 weeks later...

People - behold - the Sean McG posse have already experienced the delights of the Victoria. A twitter account gained a select group entry to the pre-opening party last Thursday evening and I can report the following:

The space is big - very big. I'm not sure where it was hiding before considering they've added a kitchen. But nicely turned out and cosy. Hard to tell about this "family" area but there are curtains that could separate the back bar from the front. Not sure who gets what though. The exterior paint job and new Victoria signage all look top notch. A Fuss-ball table was unplayed but a nice touch.

The staff - attractive. Very. If that sort of thing matters to you. But then they may have shipped in the good looking ones from all the sister pubs. But all were friendly as well.

The drinks - Well, they were free this night and only draughts on offer but it'll be the same schtick as the Bishop/Florence so decent, mid-market booze without being overly eccentric or different. 3 draught ales and half a dozen lagers and wine.

Food - again free, but only a limited choice (fair enough), and all of it was lovely - especially the fried chicken.

Clientele - freeloaders, the lot of 'em. But with free food and beer everyone was in good spirits. A few sad faces from those not on the guest list being turned away.

All-in-all it's a very welcome addition to the Bellenden area and will give the Gowlett and Montpellier some needed competition.

ps. Rumours were heard that evening that the old Bellenden Brasserie (which closed in, ahem, murky circumstances) is to be bought by the Petit-Tou cafe for larger premises. There's still life in the area yet.

I can answer all questions...

The kid's room won't be open until early July, due to a few planning issues, but families are more than welcome in the back half of the pub.

The booze offering is a little more than 'mid-market'...I'd like to think.

It's been packed for two days straight now, which has been a surpise, to say the least.

ta

Enjoyed the opening night (nice touch re comp booze and food). Think it will be busy most of the time and I am planning on taking it for a test run on saturday again.

Good change of use of space, back bit very nice and better than previous by a mile (unless you like playing pool). Glad the old wooden bar intact and its been a while since i drank Murphys and pleased to say I liked it.

Darn...I've just noticed four emails asking me about that opening night! I didn't stand a chance with work - I'll take a look at the weekend if I get a sec....Help-ma-boab see you there (or at our usual Sat early pint meeting spot).

Does it have any outdoor seating?

Plenty of seating out the front ? the old wooden benches from the wishing well have been replaced with some spanking new (white?) tables and chairs

Don?t think there is a rear garden tho?

If I was review bookshop I would be anticipating an upswing in sales as well ? it just looks too tempting when one is sat outside

• 3 weeks later...