The Wishing Well on Bellenden Road

tommy

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I 'heard' the lot who own the Bishop have got

> it...just a rumour tho

xxxxxxx

Shame. I hate the Bishop. Liked the Wishing Well. Except they never had any decent beer on!

So that's the end of the laser-filled Kraftwerk (sp?) tribute nights then :))(td)

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, the speculation...

The company that I am a shareholder of has acquired The Wishing Well.

The plans for it (licensing and planning permitting) will clearly please some but not all :

It will return to being The Victoria

The bulk of the woodwork and detail that is in the main bar will stay.

Giant screen and 'Corrie' to go..

Strippers not coming.

As The Bishop serves it's neighbourhood, The Victoria (Lodge/Tavern/Inn) will attempt to serve it's.

In no attempt to woo Sue alone, there will be an extensive range of real ales.

Vastly improved food offering with Sunday roasts aplenty.

Pool table to go

two bar areas to be made in to one.

Bed and breakfast in the upstairs rooms (not rentable by the hour as used to be the case)

Last but not least and sure to ruffle a few feathers...one area of the bar will be kid free and one family friendly with a purpose built Children's Room.

I welcome any questions but not over keen on the word 'hate'.

Cheers

Scott

Scott - you have got it all wrong. Pool table and big screens are options that we need. We need a range of pubs doing different things not lots of "Bishop"s.

Hope the food is good though and whatever happens will give it a try, but based on yesterdays day/night out - watching the football and rugby in a very crowded EDT (they made huge money yesterday at the Magdela/Magnolia's expense) and putting my name on the long list to play pool in the Gowlett suggest there is a shortage of pubs providing these services.

The gentrification of ED/Peckham can go too far.

There is a lot of snobbery about showing sports and playing pool and even live music - but there is a big demand for it. You can't compete with the Herne on the family front so don't try. Also don't forget the pub is in Peckham. If you want to get people to walk down from ED to go to another bishop then you need to offer something different not another packaged product.

Scott

"...one area of the bar will be kid free and one family friendly with a purpose built Children's Room."

So like the Florence? That works pretty well.

Good luck with the new venture. If you get the beer, food, ambience right (like the Florence), you'll do very well. You'll probably further denude the Montpelier of custom, too, which promised great things for the area, but has never delivered.

I dunno Mick - the Well used to show football but didn't draw the footfall so I'm not sure Scott and the company have got that part wrong. Personally I would love to be able to watch sports there, it's a great space and I used to enjoy watching games (sometimes on my own) there but it's no way to stay in business

If only the Montpelier up the road would allow sounds as well as pictures on their big screen

Besides, if you are going to walk in from ED to watch sport, the Prince Albert a stones throw away does the job nicely

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I dunno Mick - the Well used to show football but

> didn't draw the footfall so I'm not sure Scott and

> the company have got that part wrong. Personally I

> would love to be able to watch sports there, it's

> a great space and I used to enjoy watching games

> (sometimes on my own) there but it's no way to

> stay in business

>

> If only the Montpelier up the road would allow

> sounds as well as pictures on their big screen

>

> Besides, if you are going to walk in from ED to

> watch sport, the Prince Albert a stones throw away

> does the job nicely

I was in the Price Albert last night for one drink and it will be the last time I go in there. It is a complete dive. Sorry Sean but people do have some standards. Don't associate wanting to watch sports or play pool with wanting to rough it with shell suits.

I surveyed all the pubs in the area yesterday :) and the EDT is the best pub in ED for me. Followed by the Gowlett. And Liqourish. Those would be my top 3.

If you want a nice bar look at the Magnolia. All very nice but must struggle to make a profit. The old Magdela on a 6 Nations day would have made thousands of pounds. I passed it on the way down to the EDT and it was virtually empty. Nice place to ahve a coffee though.

The bishop is a very good pub, but we don't need another.

You've obviously never been to The Castle on Crystal Palace rd Mick. Now that's a dive. Probably the only place still open where you can watch paddy's throwing fivers into a hat on the horses, and get a splinter in your chips as well.

Strictly Fred Perry and Ben Sherman, and kids drink for free.

I like the Castle and go there occaisionally now that it has been done up. Best Guinness in ED, a "locals" pub I guess but appears to have a few characters. Much nicer than the Prince Albert. The PA is easily the worst pub I have been in for a long time. Disgusting mix of outdated decor and plasma screens. Not to mention the toilets.

Dear Mick Mac,

The Wishing Well (journey's inn) went into receivership. This could have been bad management, ownership or that the area demands something a little more forward thinking.

I am not trying to compete with The Herne (Jamie is a great operator and The Bishop is not in competition with The Palmerston and they are 100yds apart as opposed to approx a mile between them)

There is no 'snobbery against showing sports'. The ever increasing cost of Sky Sports prohibitive.

The pub is aimed at Bellenden road/village locals, primarily. New and old locals alike. Why would I try to cannibalise The Bishop's trade by opening another one ?

Can you give me you interpretation of 'packaged product' ?

Sean, target date is to start work in 2 weeks time with a 5-6 week turnaround.

Taper, yes similar split of kid friendly & adult only. We are also building a Kid's Pavillion at the rear of The Florence to cope with the volume of families visiting. There has been a huge increase in families in pubs ever since the smoking ban and it is difficult to keep a balance. Even people who have children and are drinking in a pub without them would rather not have to see or hear them (customer views not my own).

The press is always quoting that 5-6 pubs a week are closing but never delve into the little known fact that the pubs that most that have closed have not changed their 'offering' in the last 3 years. e.g. The Wishing Well.

The Castle & The Prince Albert are owned by the same company from who we have also acquired The Uplands (which will have Sky Sports)

Please keep your comments coming...

Scott