The Wishing Well on Bellenden Road

tommy

look forward to the new place opening, Scott. Recently moved into Choumert Road so it'll be really good to having another good neighbourhood pub - especially because a well patronised pub should be a good thing for the road in general, keeping life around the place during the evenings. I've previously enjoyed the Florence and the Bishop, both of which have fairly different identities so be interesting to see what you do with this place. Hope you are able to keep a reasonable range of beers and ales on tap.

I think it's good that there's such a mixed economy of pubs in the area - I can't see why the complaints about it being 'gentrified'. At the end of the day if you want an old school boozer with sport on the TV, there's the Prince Albert, and Hoopers Bar round the corner.

Having moved up the road from Stockwell/the Oval where there's a glut of decent boozers, I feel a little spoilt for choice up in SE15/SE22 so far as pubs go. Long may it continue.

scott Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > In no attempt to woo Sue alone, there will be an

> extensive range of real ales.

> Vastly improved food offering with Sunday roasts

> aplenty.

> > Bed and breakfast in the upstairs rooms one area of the bar will be kid free

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hurrah to all that :))

Live music? A nice chilled Sunday afternoon with a roast and a pint and the Sunday papers and some good music would be, er, good.

Edited to add: My hatred (actually it's not that strong) of the Bishop is not unconnected to the fact that I was once turned out of an unoccupied (except by me) seat at an unoccupied (except by me) table because apparently it was the owner's dog's seat. Who at the time was nowhere around - neither the owner nor the dog. :))

jimmyraj Wrote:

>

> I think it's good that there's such a mixed

> economy of pubs in the area - I can't see why the

> complaints about it being 'gentrified'. At the

> end of the day if you want an old school boozer

> with sport on the TV, there's the Prince Albert,

Guess what Jimmy - I want to watch my sport in a "new" school boozer. A nice environment.

Don't be such a one dimensional twat.

Edited to say that you are new so its nothing personal - but I think its an old fashioned attitude.

Sorry Mick Mac - I think you're reading too much into that comment. agree that watching sport shouldn't mean you have to put up with a tired old pub. Personally I'd quite like to drink in a decent well kept pub, with decent decor and environment, that offered some of the 'old school' pub offerings like pool, darts, live sport, fruities.

My point was that all the nearest pubs to the Wishing Well show sport already - ie the Prince Albert, Hoopers Bar, and the Montpellier (albeit sometimes with the sound down). As a result it's hardly a shocker that a new pub might choose to offer something different to the immediate local market. Not sure there's anything one dimensional about that view - there's room

for them all...

Yes, a kick start is needed on Bellenden Road. In the sense that there are too many empty shop premises along the road

Not sure about you but I have not liked seeing the closure of Bayberry, Lucius & Richard, 3 of a Kind, The Bellenden Brasserie, etc in the last couple of years.

....and part of the reason why I live in the area is that its not Lordship Lane

Looking forward to adding my custom to The Victoria

• 2 weeks later...

scott Wrote:

> Ah, the speculation...

> The company that I am a shareholder of has

> acquired The Wishing Well.

> The plans for it (licensing and planning

> permitting) will clearly please some but not all

> :

>

> It will return to being The Victoria

> The bulk of the woodwork and detail that is in the

> main bar will stay.

> Giant screen and 'Corrie' to go..

> Strippers not coming.

> As The Bishop serves it's neighbourhood, The

> Victoria (Lodge/Tavern/Inn) will attempt to serve

> it's.

> In no attempt to woo Sue alone, there will be an

> extensive range of real ales.

> Vastly improved food offering with Sunday roasts

> aplenty.

> Pool table to go

> two bar areas to be made in to one.

> Bed and breakfast in the upstairs rooms (not

> rentable by the hour as used to be the case)

> Last but not least and sure to ruffle a few

> feathers...one area of the bar will be kid free

> and one family friendly with a purpose built

> Children's Room.

>

> I welcome any questions but not over keen on the

> word 'hate'.

>

> Cheers

>

> Scott

Sounds like you've got rid of the beastly oiky folk and will soon be selling upmarket bangers and mash for ?12!

Bravo, we need more pubs like this!

I think Scott's on the money here. I walked down Choumert Road recently and noticed the clientele in Le Petis Tou or whatever it's called - sitting there munching away and reading their Observers and whatnot and couldn't believe I was in Peckham. That part (the Bellenden Road area) has changed so much over the last ten years it's almost unrecognisable.

There are a lot of more shall we say well heeled residents that have moved into that area and you've got to give them somewhere where they would feel comfortable having a drink. Better to have a pub that is open and thriving than one that is on it's last legs and empty.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> Sounds like you've got rid of the beastly oiky

> folk and will soon be selling upmarket bangers and

> mash for ?12!

>

> Bravo, we need more pubs like this!

You might not be far wrong. Had upmarket bangers and mash in the bishop on monday. However came with a drink for a tenner.

Jah Lush:

> There are a lot of more shall we say well heeled

> residents that have moved into that area and

> you've got to give them somewhere where they would

> feel comfortable having a drink.

I got new heels on my shoes yesterday. So I hope to be allowed in. :)

Still think you miss a trick with a "no sport" policy. Even if only for selected events. I'm not in agreeemnt with pubs having a tv on all the time or even showing every meaningless premiership game. But pubs that are not showing world cup games for example will lose out.

I guess about 5,000 people in ED will all try to get into the EDT.