> marvel at. That?s when they give up.

>

> To reduce the cost to the council, the ones to

> remove it should be those who have been sentenced

> to community service.

>

> Fixing the pot holes, as suggested, is much

> better use of our money. I suggest James you have

> a look at Matham Grove and other streets off LL.

> The potholes there are developing fast and there's

> an urgent need to do something.

>

>

> It appears that some councillors have failed to

> appreciate the need to maintain existing

> infrastructure - like the roads - hence the road

> surfaces became vulnerable to frost damage which

> leads on to pot holes. Instead you want to splash

> tax money on a totally needless arty farty

> project that isn?t even art.

>

> The sooner you are off the council the better.

And the within 24 hours is the policy, so what's the problem? To my understanding it's also been shown that a decorated wall is much less of a target than a blank one.

Regarding potholes they'll get done sooner or later, I'm not losing any sleep over them. Natural traffic calming, drive slower.

Sorry but I think it's really depressing and horrible, like those dreary public murals we used to see everywhere in the 80s. You have so many talented local artists in this area, why not put it out to tender and see what they come up with?

Will go along and consult and have emailed you directly; I think it's an eyesore.

It was clearly put out to some kind of process, hence the entry form asking for designs (although it does look a bit more like a school project).

The councillor is damned if he does and doesn't isn't he? Let's people know what's happening, people moan. If he doesn't, people would moan.

Or let's have a sense of perspective and not jump up and down a week after the frosts and say "I want my road doing now now NOW!".

I'm prepared to believe the council has a programme to repair the potholes which have opened on almost every road in the last few weeks and they're getting on with it. I'm also pretty confident that this painting of a wall will have absolutely zero effect on that programme.

Sorry only skimmed the thread so don't know if this was mentioned...

Why don't the council allow the graffiti artists to use this space, this being the one place graffiti wouldn't be removed or painted over in blue unless offensive in some way, of course. It would be an ongoing exhibition and might be interesting, at least much more interesting than a bunch of coloured blocks, in my humble opinion.

Edited to add that no one will ever agree on one set painting/sculpture/vegetation added to the space and graffiti would certainly be a less expensive option.

Hi Green Goose,

The snowy weather meant lots of freeze thaw action creating lots of pot holes. They can't all be fixed instantly but will be as soon as possible. I've reported lots of pot holes for fixing. Have you?

Every year the Lib Dem led Southwark Council spends ?5M on fixing roads and street lighting. BUT, after so many years of neglect - last year of labour led southwark Council zero was spent. So after 40 years of under repairing upto 2002 so it will take many years to catch up on basic maintenance and renewal.

Back to this public art. Pop along have your say.

If you know an artist with a better idea submit it.

Winglessxbird, I believe the art in Trafalgar square is classified as Contemporary art, assuming you're talking about the fourth plinth. And quite a generalisation to say you hate all of modern art.

Mr Barber, it was only a suggestion and as I said in my reply to your PM, the statement that graffiti leads to crime is preposterous, at best. Leave the wall blank and sort our crumbling streets and pavements first.

Best,

-C

thexwinglessxbird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is tacky.

>

> xxxxxxxxxx

Yes I think that's a large part of the problem.

I went past the wall today, and was looking back along the street.

Basically, this proposed "design" just doesn't fit in with the feel of the rest of North Cross Road. It's the sort of thing you'd have in a shopping centre (well I wouldn't, but it would be more appropriate there).

Has anybody asked the shopkeepers in North Cross Road what they think about this?