North Cross Road sub station - art installation

Yes, they all pretty much started painting 'actual' graffiti, on walls, it was cheap form of expression. My original suggestion to Mr barber was to allow graffiti artists to use the wall as a space for themselves and his blanket reply that [all] graffiti leads to crime is what I was surprised by.

Katie, I went on a detour on the way home to confirm my liking of the wall as is, I even touched it :-$. It has quite a few nails in it where the stall holders must hang their pictures for sale. Mr Barber, do you have an details of the graffiti over the last say 5 years that has been done on the wall and the cost of cleaning it off? What do edf energy think, I'm quite suprised they haven't seized this opportunity to promote themselves by sponsoring some kind of locall environmental 'art piece/installation'. Unfortunately I can't make the meeting but I hope a great and cheap idea is born (which in my personal view is to leave it as is) whatever that may be.

I've always thought that wall was a really good place for a community noticeboard. I was fined ?75 last year by southwark council for putting 6 veg plant sale notices on lamposts. They were only up 24 hours. A notice board there would be a great place to advertise local events.

My original posting was to get people thinking what could be done to brighten up this long electrcitiy sub station wall. I've already talkedto electricity engineers about if the sub station could be reduced in size and they said we would'nt have the scale of money. Anyway, it seems some people took the graphic literally - it's just a diagram of the wall with a few ideas - but it certainly got people talking!

The wall is not owned by the Southwark council but by EDF electrictiy and it took lengthy negotiations before they agreed in principle to art work on the wall. The idea they agreed to was laminated art work on the "squares" as these could be removed if they withdrew their permission at a later date. EDF will be asked to give formal permission when we have one or more ideas for the artwork. They absolutely have turned down the idea of a mural or graffiti.

Apparently the graphic I was given and posted was to encourage people to think how an unusual feature of the wall, ie four "panels" with raised squares on them, could be exploited for any art work. The graphic also showed how it might have a greater impact to select a limited number of squares rather than decorate all the squares.

The consultation will take place at the Palmerston back room this Saturday between 3 and 6pm - with free nibbles - all welcome.

with a fuller idea of the brief hopefully all those East Dulwich can give their ideas.

I've attached another mock-up to generate even more 'interest' ;-)

Who is doing these 'mock ups'? I don't know why but I'm finding them quite insulting because there are so many creative and qualified people in ED but these seem to be done by someone who is (in my opinion) definitely not. These printed flower ones presumably cost more and (again in my opinion) I think they're extremely tacky. I can't attend so would it be possible to give my vote here please? If so my vote is definitely to leave the lovely wall exactly as it is. Thank you

sophiesofa Wrote:

If so my vote is definitely to leave

> the lovely wall exactly as it is. Thank you

I am with you Sophie, let's leave the wall as it is.

Whatever gets stuck on it will get deliberately defaced within days and this will lead to rampant grafitti later.

But I suspect Mr Barber doesn't want to give up as the original proposal came from him in the first place.

Hands off our wall Barber and stop squandering tax payers money!

Again, leave the wall as is. It's fine. I cannot stand the idea of areas being given a fresh "identity" by council and community committee- you just feel that the end result will be a series of compromises- bland and tacky. Still cannot understand why this is an "ishooo" at all. I cannot ever recall seeing graffiti on this wall. Can Councillor Barber give times and dates of offending graffiti? Concentrate the funding on getting the paving sorted, I say, so fewer of us trip whilst on our way to peruse market goods.

JBARBER Wrote:

> I've attached another mock-up to generate even

> more 'interest' ;-)

xxxxxxxx

Well that's better than the first lot - in my opinion!

Apart from the fact that blue dahlias don't exist .... well that's what they look like, anyway .....

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> JBARBER Wrote:

> > I've attached another mock-up to generate even

> > more 'interest' ;-)

>

> xxxxxxxx

>

> Well that's better than the first lot - in my

> opinion!

>

> Apart from the fact that blue dahlias don't exist

> .... well that's what they look like, anyway .....

As far as I can see that is the first lot, the photoshop mock up referred to on design 1 I'd have thought.

Wow - what amazingly underwhelming idea.

Sorry Mr Barber, really really soft, sad and second rate. I have no issue with public art when done properly, but throwing a few dozen plastic sheets at a wall does not improve it.

I would also suggest the budget is pretty poor and if raised to say ?10k and opened to the local artist community including the lovely people in Forest Hill I am sure you would get a great set of proposals.

Please see the below link for excellent public art / signage.

http://graphicdefiner.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bankside-5.jpg?w=500&h=316

If the goal is to make NCR market more of a destination and cool, why not just scale up the road sign to cover the whole wall? The sign is sort of iconic in its design and would really cover up that ugly wall.

I can understand they didn't want to stand on North Cross Road in freezing weather, but why not put a sign against the wall in question briefly explaining the proposals and directing people to the Pamerston? Lots of people come down this way on a Saturday.

The only publicity for this "consultation" I have seen is on this forum.

I was told they had put info round locally, but I live just round the corner to the wall and haven't had anything about it. I'd have known nothing about it if I didn't come on the EDF.

For what it's worth I suggested

a) Lighting up the wall with coloured light, as the National Theatre does at night

b) Green wall with wires and an evergreen non-clinging plant which would not hurt the wall, such as Clematis armandii which is shade tolerant and has scented flowers in Winter. Also has attractive evergreen leaves.

c) Their option of photos - photos of East Dulwich, combined with a community notice board as someone suggested above.

I think any of the options with those harsh colours would be really out of keeping with the feel of the road.

After all the comments and strong feelings on this subject I would like to know what happened at the meeting this afternoon in the Palmerston.I was playing piano in a concert at the Barbican today and have only just got home.

Please don't do anythig to this wall.Pink Floyd "leave the wall alone".

MN

^ + loads.

I really can't see what all the fuss is about!

It's a busy, thriving, bustling and interesting street.....

Doesn't silly waste of money councilors thinking dumb hair brain ways of 'improving' out landscape at our cost when there isn't a problem in the first place.... jeebus!

I like it just the way it is thanks!

*thinks* Aren't there more worthy causes to be focusing on....