The Gardens

Hello everyone from a new forum user - I lived in East Dulwich in 2004/05 but defected to Clapham then West Dulwich for a couple of years of flatmate hell. I'm pleased to say I'm due back in July, hurrah!

I was just wondering whether any residents of (or near to) The Gardens can tell me what that area's like, where to go and what to avoid? I used to live on Lordship Lane so am unfamiliar with the top end. Also, does anyone have any idea what decade the flats in The Gardens were built in? Finally, is it ok to have guests in the green bit in the middle or is it strictly residents only?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

My friend used to rent a flat in The Gardens through a company called TILT, on Peckham Rye. She had her own key for the garden and we could only go there when she invited us in !

If you aren't with a doctor The Gardens practice is very good.

PS welcome back!

Ooh I'm so pleased other people are saying nice things about it, it seemed so tranquil and pretty but you can never tell from just visiting once. It's nice that all the East Dulwich people are so friendly too, that's rare in the other places I've lived! I've been reading about the new WI and will be right round there as soon as my boxes are unpacked :)

welcome back FJG. The Gardens should be a bit different from living on Lordship Lane - more tranquil. Peckham Rye Park is right on your door step (and there is going to be a cafe there soon) and you are not far from the brillianr North Cross Road with its fantastic weekend market.

citizen

I'd be interested in other forum-ite's suggestions of things round that way as I'm moving into Oakhurst grove next Saturday, which is just round the corner.

It's also nice and quiet as the road is blocked off preventing it being a rat run bypass of LL.

Apparently the Gold Lee chinese is very good?

Hi,

I actually rent a flat from Tilt. They own over 100 flats/properties in and around the gardens. They seem to have a complete monopoly in this area, pricing other individuals out of the buying market. That said, they are quite good landlords, even if many of their staff are very rude.

It is pretty quite in the gardens, except in the daytime. Pretty much every day, all day, the man who maintains the main "garden" in the centre is either mowing or hedge cutting, which is VERY VERY NOISY. Also, as Tilt are constantly buying properties in the area, there are constant building works going on. They use a team of builders who work for them, who constantly drive around and around all day in vans/lorries. Due to the building work, the area is extremely dusty (don't bother cleaning windows, there's no point!). The quality of the building work is very basic, in our flat almost every fixture and fitting has now broken or needed repairing.

The big bonus is the use of the garden in the centre, which you get a key for when you rent from Tilt. This is great on occasions, apart from when huge groups decide to have picnics and BBQ's with all their little brats runing around crying and leaving bits of sausage everywhere, while they stay sitting in the dark until 2am, singing and cheering after drinking way too much white wine...

Anyway, I guess you take the good with the bad...

> I actually rent a flat from Tilt. They own over

> 100 flats/properties in and around the gardens.

> They seem to have a complete monopoly in this

> area, pricing other individuals out of the buying

> market.

I almost bought an ex-rental flat from Tilt, on Barry Road. They accepted the offer, but then pulled out because they'd decided to sell it to someone else as part of a batch. That's enough to convince me never to deal with them again!

Dear Moz200,

Somebody has to have "little brats", "who run about screaming and leave bits of sausage everywhere" or else who will there be to look after you when you are old and grey, you good natured sweet tolerant person?

You must be glad you live in The Gardens, just 5 minutes up the road to Peckham High Street where you can buy yourself a great big bag of strangely shaped vegetables to boil in your cauldron for tea?

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Moz200,

>

> Somebody has to have "little brats", "who run

> about screaming and leave bits of sausage

> everywhere" or else who will there be to look

> after you when you are old and grey, you good

> natured sweet tolerant person?

>

> You must be glad you live in The Gardens, just 5

> minutes up the road to Peckham High Street where

> you can buy yourself a great big bag of strangely

> shaped vegetables to boil in your cauldron for

> tea?

Harsh but fair.

.....And funny.

:))

I'm sure your two delightful children don't even eat sausages (very common) do they DM? Although your polish "manny" may convert them onto kielbasa. I'd watch out. It'll be saurkraut next.

Dear Dulwichmum,

Why do you end every sentance with a question mark? Is it because you know I'm right? Either way, I live here, you don't, so it was just my observations from my window during the past year...Keep eating the sausages darling.