Recession is over ......hip hip ...

Mick Mac

'Raise your glass of cut price cava to celebrate the end of recession-before its too late.

We can talk ourselves into despond or we can at least have a bit of a celebration'. Says tonights Standard.

Lets try to be a bit more positive about the future. (ill have stella instead of cava.)

When I jacked in my last ever day job in July 2007 to start a business I remember sitting in the Drum writing my business plan, over draft maxed and relying on a special Peroni credit system I worked out with Coops.....

Then when the queues started outside Northern Rock and I wondered if it was perhaps the worst single moment in history to do such a dumb thing. But with hindsight the recession has been good for start ups - you can start slowly with lower overheads (like our 3 year office lease in EC2 at 60% below re-recession rates), less competition and the chance to target a product at a customer who's now more cost aware without it disrupting a legacy cost ridden business model. We've also been darn lucky.

The recession has been a great time to start the right kind of business and we've actually benefited from it. My simple view on the wider economy is that we've been massively cushioned by artificially low interest rates and policy dictated by an upcoming election. Bottom line is that at some point we begin to pay it all back - and that simply hasn't started yet. It has to come from increased taxation and reduced public spending. And I'm keen to know what a Tory government would do for small business - e.g. increasing capital gains tax to the main higher rate of 40% will kill any entrepreneurial green shoots unless there are concessions for business owners.

We're not out the woods yet by any means really are we?

SCSB79 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> what do you do MrBen?

I run a chain of curry houses on Lordship Lane from a head office in the square mile. All with different names but the foods exactly the same = nice economy of scale = winner.

• 2 weeks later...