Has anyone else got this cold?

apbremer

Male, getting on a bit, slim, tennis and cycling every day, non smoker. sensible diet has been struck down in the past 10 days by the heaviest foulest ever cold, catarrh ridden, with a hacking cough and no end in sight except the grave. Is it a virus going around or am I just unlucky??

I had a horrible cold recently, first one in a year and it took about three weeks to clear rather than my usual three days. Sometimes I find I can shake off a cold completely if I hit it at the start with 500mg vitamin C every hour, liquid vitamin D and a good gargle with brandy, but sometimes you're just in for it, I'm afraid.

My top tip is not going outside after dark. I've noticed that every time you do that with a cold it puts your recovery back by another day or so. No idea why - ozone maybe.

And drink lots of lemon, honey and ginger. Ginger's magic.

I gargle with salt water as soon as I get a tickle in the throat, then drink fizzy Vitamin C/Zinc with ginger and garlic and honey. It sounds bad, but it's OK. Lots of sleep is a must, as is lots of water. Boots chesty cough syrup is good to dissolved the phlegm. Muninex Maximum Strength is really good, but it's only available in the US. It contains about six times the amount of guaifinesin, the stuff that loosens the catarrh, than UK medicines. http://biovea.net/uk/product_detail.aspx?PID=3652&OS=204&KW=mucinex%20&cp=4&NAME=MUCINEX?-12-HOUR-EXPECTORANT-Maximum-Strength-48-Tablets

Am approaching the middle of my 3rd week with this little git - not debilitating just annoying. Hacking cough and that feeling that a dessert spoonful of phlegm is stuck to the inside of your chest so you try to hack it off - it comes back moments after you nearly herniate moving the sucker.

Gave up smoking 2 and half years back and this is worse cough since then.

combatting with honey, lemon, ginger in hot water, vapour rub, olbas oil, lots of garlic and chillies in food and the occasional top-shelf lovely.

Yes..I've had it almost 3 weeks...still feeling grim.

Went to doctor last week and got antibiotics but at end of course still coughing in the night and feeling really gluey and rundown.

weird cos I usually shake these things off in a couple of days.

Now thinking I got off lightly with mine... I was talked into doing an interview while I had it. With hindsight that was never going to go well.

An ex-boyfriend used to dose himself with 'garlic soup' - you crush into a mug as many garlic cloves as you can bear, add boiling water and let it steep like herbal tea before drinking it. He swore by it. (I had to sleep in a separate room, but it's not as bad if you're the one with the cold as you can't smell it.)

I usually manage to fight off the winter ones and succumb to the spring ones for some weird reason.

Has a nasty winter cough 2 years back. couldn't shake it, cough started raspy, when to tickly, then scratchy, then chesty, then hacking, lasted three months.

Went to the doctor several times who more or less told me to eff off.

Started getting fevers and pains, went to the lister walk in where a lovely lady gaveme antibiotics, a day later the pleuresy kicked in.

Ouch.

Luckily I'd already started the course and I wasn't in intense pain for more than a week.

If you suspect your cough to be bcterial I'd get it seen to, that was the nastiest thing i've ever had, though the pain drugs they gave me were GREAT!!!!

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes..I've had it almost 3 weeks...still feeling

> grim.

> Went to doctor last week and got antibiotics but

> at end of course still coughing in the night and

> feeling really gluey and rundown.

> weird cos I usually shake these things off in a

> couple of days.

Why on earth is a doctor giving out antibiotics for a cold? It's a virus, not bacteria.