Parent and toddler group welcoming to dads

I know it's not in Nunhead, but if you struggle to find anything local then try Hilltots at the Herne Hill United Reform Church on Wed am or Boppin Tots at the Herne Hill Baptist Church on Friday. Both have a few Dads there most weeks. In fact, I think most play groups do. The Besemmer Grange Children's Centre also has male play workers as well as Dads and male childminders who go on a regular basis.

Yeah I used to sometimes take my daughters to tipee toes when they were little and even if I was the only dad and no one talked to me (you mum's really don't) there was enough happening that it didn't matter.

I would often find though that I went to things and tried to look smiley and unthreatening but would still be largely ignored. My mum would then take my kids to the same groups and tell me how friendly they were.

How much of that is gender and how much is personality? I'm pretty introverted and don't really talk to other parents at playgroups. On the other hand, my (male) nanny can go to the same groups and talk to everyone. As can my husband...

Hi my husband took our eldest to sing and sign classes over at Goose green, he loved it although I think he was the only dad. Assuming it's still going there is also the music session at Buchan road hall on a Tuesday morning (run by Ivydale I think) ususaly quite a few dads there.

oimissus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I found the same Otta, but I can be quite shy with

> strangers. I think the only person I spoke to at

> Tippee Toes was Kim and a lovely grandma. As long

> as Miss Oi enjoyed herself I soldiered on going to

> things.

When/where was this Tippee Toes? Just wondering whether it may have been my mum, but we're going back about 3 years since she took my older girl to All fired up in Dulwich.

Otta - it might have been! It was about 2/3 years ago in All Fired Up, and if I remember rightly she was the little girl's paternal grandma. Does your mum sing in the choir at St Clement's - I saw this lady there one time (I'm not a regular there at all but I recognised her straight away).

Hi - I'm Kim from Tippee Toes. It's so sad to hear dads feeling ignored as personally, I LOVE dads attending our classes and make extra effort to make them feel welcome.

Any regular Tippee Toes families out there, please do make our dads feel welcome, even if it is a quick 'hello'. We have such a lovely, friendly bunch of families attending our classes each week and I am sure it would not be deliberate at all.

etta166 - thanks for recommending Wednesday Hilltots at Herne Hill United Church.

Just to let everybody know it's very popular and has a catchment area when there's a waiting list (like at the moment) so ED and Nunhead is a bit far out I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi to all Mums and Dads, child carers, Nannies, Grandparents, I am starting singing lessons for parents and babies/toddlers to learn the old fashioned nursery rhymes we have lost over the years, and to learn any songs anyone wants to learn like from the Disney films or musicals your kids love, or indeed you love. The idea is to build confidence in your singing voice through various methods of exploring how you can use it to bond with your little one and singing to your child is proven to help development.A lott of people don't know how to explore their voices and it would be great if they could use if to have fun and create entertainment and joy with their kids.I will also be adding percussion using around the house instruments and teach a holistic approach to your voice and your child relationship.The idea being that you can make music whereever you are. I am a classically trained opera singer and mother of a 21 year old, and love babies and kids. I have done a lot of research into this and plan to develop my ideas so that one day when I retire I have something other than opera in my life. The sessions will be one to one with parents and child/children. I am charging ?25 per session of 30 minutes.Look forward to hearing from you. My website is sallysilversoprano.com. Based in East Dulwich Grove, I can teach in the comfort of your home,in the park or at my home (not extra travel charges) My number is 07795804394