Platform 1

lbsmith73

Went there last night, really impressed with the food, fresh interesting and totally unlike anything on the Lane! Staff were friendly, knowledgable but not overbearing. Although pricey a great experience that is definitely worth a visit. Cocktails were great too!

I was lucky enough to attend the press launch at platform 1 on Tuesday and I have to say that I love what they have done with the decor in there.

Chloe and her team made everyone very welcome, serving a selection of wines and unfiltered Prosecco. The atmosphere was buzzing and lots of people were there enjoying the evening.

The Smoke and Salt boys then proceeded to bring around bite size samples of their dishes which went down well with everyone, I loved the pork belly that melted in your mouth and the mackerel was stunning.

I have to admit that I was treated like a king by everyone there and it echoes the experience I had a short while ago when I popped in for s quick bite and some wine.

It's a great concept of a static restaurant with pop-up chefs and Smoke and Salt area delivering great dishes at a price that doesn't break the bank (assuming that you aren't a big issue seller that is...)

I will be back again soon and would recommend it to anyone who is curious but not popped in yet.

I am also looking forward to following Smoke and Salt when they embark on their next adventure after their 3 months at Platform 1.

Artful

• 5 weeks later...

Got dragged along to Platform one by LBsmith73 on Saturday

Amazing. Absolutely stunning food, served by knowledgeable & friendly people

I've always been a big fan of places like the Palmerston (and continue to be so) - but IMO, this is a step change in the quality of food on LL.

I also love the concept of it being a "permeant pop-up" - hopefully that will bring a new, innovative chef every few months. Of course, it could mean that its hit or miss

Have to agree. Went a couple of Saturdays ago, not busy as England were being thrashed at Rugby. They position themselves as fine-dining but at reasonable prices. Less than ?100 for three courses and wine (very decent Chardonnay they source/grow themselves), equally as good as Roux at the Landau. Knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, just wanted to say thanks for the kind words about everything that we, the Smoke & Salt http://www.smokeandsalt.com team, have been doing at Platform 1. For those who have been in we do appreciate you having joined us and supported the concept, and for those who haven't we do hope you join us between now and the 31st of October (Halloween) as our residency at Platform 1 will be coming to an end there. We know that there was a bit of controversy from day with regards to various aspects of the space but we feel that Chloe and the team here are working towards creating something very special on Lordship Lane. Our residency will be culminating with a rather terrifying feast (Menu: http://www.smokeandsalt.com/uploads/4/0/3/0/40309377/smoke___salt_halloween_menu_08oct15.pdf) that we hope some of you will be happy to attend before the next set of residents, Perilla Dining, open up the following week. We do hope to see you soon and again, thanks for the support.

Smoke & Salt,

Platform 1,

71 Lordship Lane,

SE22 8EP

I must admit that I was one of those who found the initial name crass and was a bit put off, but have been there a few times now and it's wonderful. Lovely food, not like anything else on LL, and really good cocktails. Chloe and her team are all lovely and the service is smashing

Congrats to the Smoke & Salt team for a fantastic job. Sounds like more exciting things are afoot too - I was lucky enough to see some pics of the next residency's dishes when Chloe popped into the shop, and it looks and sounds amazing...

• 2 weeks later...

They were closed for a kitchen changeover whilst the new restaurant pop up moves in, according to their facebook page. Reopening Thursday with Perilla installed. They maybe didn't realise until late on that they might need to do that, but they still gave 3 days notice of the cancellation. All sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but by all means let's get angry about a local business trying to do something interesting and probably still feeling its way a bit. That's always fun.

Looking forward to trying it when it reopens, haven't been yet but glad that there is something a bit different on Lordship Lane (and that they changed their name, so can let that one go now and get on with trying the food).

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They were indeed closed last night... Very poor

> show when they have people having booked 2 weeks

> previous.

>

> .. and no apology ? Don't deserve any trade..

>

> DulwichFox

That's probably one of the nastiest things I've ever read on here. Why...just why be so unpleasant? They made a mistake, but to say a local business (which you always seem to feel should be supported) needs to fold and have everyone lose their jobs just seems plain...horrible.

Tell you what, why don't you go into the venue and tell them to their face that they don't deserve to be in business? Hey, if you're willing to say it online...

JoeLeg Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They were indeed closed last night... Very poor

> > show when they have people having booked 2

> weeks

> > previous.

> >

> > .. and no apology ? Don't deserve any trade..

>

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

>

> That's probably one of the nastiest things I've

> ever read on here. Why...just why be so

> unpleasant? They made a mistake, but to say a

> local business (which you always seem to feel

> should be supported) needs to fold and have

> everyone lose their jobs just seems

> plain...horrible.

>

> Tell you what, why don't you go into the venue and

> tell them to their face that they don't deserve to

> be in business? Hey, if you're willing to say it

> online...

Forgive Fox, he's a reformed miserablist

He's just fallen off the wagon this time

I"m sure he'll come back all sweetness and light

Now come on Foxter, you show 'em!

🏃🏽

Depsoits for restaurants are unusual unless it's a large group.

I expect they'd thank you for letting them know (rather than simply not showing up which is what lots of people unfortunately do).

Things happen, they're still a fairly new business (and it's an unconventional business model too), they're still learning. It might put me off too, but let's not be too mean spirited...

JoeLeg Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They were indeed closed last night... Very poor

> > show when they have people having booked 2

> weeks

> > previous.

> >

> > .. and no apology ? Don't deserve any trade..

>

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

>

> That's probably one of the nastiest things I've

> ever read on here. Why...just why be so

> unpleasant? They made a mistake, but to say a

> local business (which you always seem to feel

> should be supported) needs to fold and have

> everyone lose their jobs just seems

> plain...horrible.

>

> Tell you what, why don't you go into the venue and

> tell them to their face that they don't deserve to

> be in business? Hey, if you're willing to say it

> online...

Nastiest.. ? God you haven't read many posts on here..

People book a table.. with great expectations presumably for a special occasion considering the prices.

Then the restaurant cancels and gives no apology. That's nasty.

That's contemptuous showing no respect for their customers.

Do you really think they would give a damn if I were to go in and tell them what I think.

They would laugh in my face and stick two fingers up.

DulwichFox

Never in my life had to put down a deposit for a restaurant booking. And as Jeremy says, a lot of poorly mannered people just don't even show up (booking several restaurants and then making a final choice at the last minute is apparently quite common now), so actually letting them know is unfortunately a bonus. Possibly why I've never had a restaurant or similar establishment make a fuss when I've had to cancel either.

Just as I've never made a big fuss when a restaurant, play, event, etc etc, has had to cancel on me (as long as they aren't rude about it), it's not like I've had some basic human right taken away. Things happen that are beyond people's control. If they are consistently mucking people around over the next year, fair enough, but this is totally OTT for one occasion.

I think it will be to the Forum's benefit if businesses feel like it is worth engaging on here, which is probably not the case when they see stuff like this.

This review makes it sound very exciting:

A magical spirit exists in Copenhagen.

It?s in the water.

It?s in the wind.

It?s in the soup at Noma*.

All of which is nice to know, however given that:

1) Copenhagen's miles away, and

2) Noma?s old news,

you?ll be interested to learn that we?ve found the guys possibly behind the future best restaurant in the world, Perilla.

Granted it?s still early days for (what is currently) an about-to-launch ?anti-fine dining fine dining? four-month-long pop up in East Dulwich. However if you consider that all of Perilla?s previous incarnations have instantly sold out - for reasons we?re about to share - you?ll agree that they?re off to a promising start.

The duo behind it are 23 year old Ben Marks and 24 year old Matt Emmerson, whose respective stories go like this:

Ben was born in England and began cooking at Operak?llaren in Stockholm when he was just 15 years old. [if you?ve ever seen that virtuoso five year old piano player from China on YouTube, Ben?s the culinary equivalent of him. Only older, and not Chinese]. After moving back to London he then spent three years in the kitchen of Claridges before being poached by the aforementioned Noma in Copenhagen?and then being brought back to London by The (two Michelin-starred) Square.

Matt studied chemistry, which prepared him in no way at all to do the job that he went on to secure managing both Russell Norman?s Polpo and Polpetto. He then decided that "it would be really nice to have a restaurant in London which eschewed formality, while still serving the highest quality food at a reasonable price".

Thankfully, Ben agreed.

Which means that for the next four months you have somewhere to go for dishes like pot roast cauliflower coated in lardo with juiced walnuts, whole-baked mackerel with marinated cucumbers, and baked custard with juiced wild plums complemented by an indigenous wine list; autumnal, flower-laden tables; and botanical gin cocktails created in collaboration with Hawksmoor?s Adam McGurk.

There?s a magical spirit in those, too...

NOTE: Perilla opens it?s doors officially on Tuesday 10th November for four months. You can either just turn up, or you can make a reservation by either emailing [email protected] or calling Platform 1 on 020 3609 2050.

Ate here last night - the food is exceptional and the concept is utterly refreshing: serving gastronomic delights at affordable prices. They're going to be mobbed, so we got in early and booked again while we were there. Well done to this brilliant young team - they've nailed it. (Top tips: don't skip the flatbread and brown butter before your starters arrive; do have both the desserts)

I have never written a review on the forum before but I ate dinner at Perilla, the pop-up restaurant (from the people behind Noma) at Platform 1 last night and just had to post to say how AMAZING it was.

Fantastic infused cocktails, great wine, super friendly service and, genuinely, some of the best food my husband and I have ever eaten (including some Michelin starred restaurants). This restaurant is a real treat for East Dulwich. Book up ASAP, you will not be disappointed! :)

Went to Smoke and Salt and our meal was simply the best we have ever had - start to finish and better than Michelin One Star's we have eaten at. We will be trying Perillo asap - Platform One from an uneasy start are creating something totally amazing for foodies in the heart of East Dulwich - a place we look forward to revisiting unlike Pedlar and Artusi where we were underwhelmed by the hype. And yes the best cocktails ever.