Dulwich Leisure Centre

giggirl

A while back there were some very bad reviews of the Leisure Centre. I seem to remember that one of the main problems was that it was difficult to get into the classes. Are there any current members who can say what the situation is now? I am thinking of joining but if I can't get access to the classes then there is no point and I can do without the frustration.

Thank you.

You do have to book well ahead to get into the classes but they're good when you get there. For the gym though, it's infuriatingly overcrowded these days (greedily oversubscribed) and you do have to wait around a lot for treadmills and the other popular machines.

They're also very disorganised there. The reception staff are often (not always) quite clueless, the staff who hang around the gym supervising do sod all when you have groups of mooching teenagers sitting on the machines and texting for half an hour or people hogging machines despite the 30 minute rule they've put in place.

My husband talked to reception about the overcrowding and they said they're hoping it'll calm down soon when all the new year's resolutions start tailing off. It was a lot better from October to Xmas last year, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Can't recommend the place highly enough. I'd much rather have online booking than 'turn up and see'. Staff are universally lovely including (and perhaps especially) the trainers. The place is spotless. You get 90m free creche care when using the gym. I'm amazed frankly at how much value you get for 34 quid a month. Especially given you can use any gym in the area including the posh new one they're building at E&C. Anyone complaining really doesn't know how good they've got it. Get organised, get your classes.

Zenoria Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> people hogging

> machines despite the 30 minute rule they've put in

> place.

>

Maybe people don't know about this rule. I'm a member and this is the first I've heard of it - does it apply to all machines?

I agree with most of the comments. The gym is spotless and the trainers are lovely. The front staff seem bored most of the time and clueless. Avoid Friday evenings!

If you are on benefits ie job seekers or income support you pay ?34 monthly and no joining fee, otherwise ?48.

Agree with above but you also get this deal for those in full time education, ( in our case sixth form). I go regularly and can't complain about adults or teenagers hogging machines; I didn't know about the 30 minute rule which would be impossible to enforce but I don't think it's such an issue. True enough, evenings in early January were rammed but I think it's now settling.

To the OP. When I joined I was given an online log-in and evening classes were indeed fully booked. I'm happy with the gym and pool so haven't persisted but I suspect with patience and determination you could achieve your requirements.

I really like the place, I qualify for the amazing ?34 price but would pay full price if I had too, this is a great local resource.

There's a sign up at reception about the 30 minute rule but you're right, it's not very prominent.

By the way, if you read my response I'm not complaining about teenagers hogging machines. I'm complaining that many of them are using said machines to just sit there and text or chat with their mates. There are plenty who are actually doing something, I don't have a problem with them.

Well if teens are on machines and not using them ask them to please get off...really not hard or complicated.. and yes you are complaining.

They have limited time in the gym think its 4-6pm 2 days a week and once on the weekend...hey if they really annoy you why dont you ask at reception so you can avoid...

Our work machines used to go into stop mode after 60 minutes

of running etc.

You could just start again of course - but I usually stopped

then.

Zenoria Wrote:

> There's a sign up at reception about the 30 minute

> rule but you're right, it's not very prominent.

>

> By the way, if you read my response I'm not

> complaining about teenagers hogging machines. I'm

> complaining that many of them are using said

> machines to just sit there and text or chat with

> their mates. There are plenty who are actually

> doing something, I don't have a problem with them.

mariababe Wrote:

> Well if teens are on machines and not using them

> ask them to please get off...really not hard or

> complicated.. and yes you are complaining.

>

> They have limited time in the gym think its 4-6pm

> 2 days a week and once on the weekend...hey if

> they really annoy you why dont you ask at

> reception so you can avoid...

That's exactly what I do, I ask them them to move so I can make actual use of the equipment. My point is that I shouldn't have to. Firstly, they should be using the machines, not wasting their parents' money by sitting there texting and chatting. Secondly, the staff should be keeping an eye out for this and telling them to move on. I am complaining about this specific thing, not about teenagers in general, many of whom are actually there to work out. I wasn't aware that they're only allowed in at certain times - good to know.

Aw, shucks! I am actually quite happy with what I get for what I pay but that's still galling for a cheapskate like me!

I do generally use the gym in Peckham. It's smaller but seems to have more machines than dulwich which seems to have a lot more weight and resistance equipment and I've never had a problem getting on the equipment. The one time I used dulwich gym, it was heaving and I spent a lot of time waiting for treadmills etc.

The aqua aerobics instructor is better at dulwich but Peckham runs twice as many sessions there per week and Peckham is open a couple of hours later than dulwich on weekends.

Still, it's handy to have options locally 😊

worldwiser Wrote:

> They were offering the 34 rate to all comers last

> week. So naturally we got signed up immediately.

> But 48 still sounds bargainous compared with

> private gym rates.

I think it's a great gym! Good range of classes, good cardio facilities, and clean, pleasant changing rooms. The Fusion Card also allows you to access a number of alternative gyms within Southwark - Peckham Pulse, Seven Islands, Brockwell Lido, etc, all of which offer different facilities. The booking system is better now than it was last year - I've not been refused a single class since November-ish, and I tend to go to around three each week. Personally, I've never even seen a teenager in there, but agree with comments about Saturday/Sunday mornings (when you can wait for up to 20mins for a treadmill) and Friday nights (when you'll struggle to get into the weights lounge for all the 20-somethings trying to pump their biceps before going out on the pull).

caught a bloke "manscaping" in the showers recently

another shaving his chest in the mirror

blokes regularly leave their pants in the showers

plenty also don't shower afterwards, preferring to aim the hairdryer into their jogging bottoms

beasts

Hello, I wanted to find out whether joining this gym would be a good idea... I was at the 'GYM group' and it was good but too far. Is it too crowded? and is it quite spacious? also how much is it monthly? should I sign up with this gym or the one in peckham instead?

Can you please share your opinions... Thank yoou

kathia12 Wrote:

> Hello, I wanted to find out whether joining this

> gym would be a good idea... I was at the 'GYM

> group' and it was good but too far. Is it too

> crowded? and is it quite spacious? also how much

> is it monthly? should I sign up with this gym or

> the one in peckham instead?

>

> Can you please share your opinions... Thank yoou

If you scroll up and read all of the above threads, you'll find all of your questions already answered, some on multiple posts.