Evil council have cut down the trees on my road today

That's awful! Were the trees showing any sign of being sick? There are some trees at the back of our flat that look a bit sadder each year and we think the tree surgeon (who comes round every couple of years) may cut them down next time. It will be sad to see it go. Were they healthy trees?

I have had quite a lot of dealings with the local council when it comes to trees being cut down. They only allow it to happen if they are left with absolutely no choice, and it is usually nothing to do with the health of the tree but that it is causing subsidence to a property close by.

I work with tree people in another council, and I'm sure the trees wouldn't have been cut down without an extremely good reason. Council people who work with trees usually do so because they love trees..... :)

Hasn't anybody asked why they were cut down??

TIMSTER Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have had quite a lot of dealings with the local

> council when it comes to trees being cut down.

> They only allow it to happen if they are left with

> absolutely no choice, and it is usually nothing to

> do with the health of the tree but that it is

> causing subsidence to a property close by.

Yes, it is usually because the trees are causing damage to the foundations of houses nearby or even drains. We've had several trees cut down around here over the years and mostly because of foundation problems. But even if this is the cause, they can still cause movement because the soil will shrink back and dry out, usually causing the property to move the other way.

It's a shame to see trees go but we have a particular problem in this area with trees.

TIMSTER Wrote:

> They only allow it to happen if they are left with absolutely no choice, and it is usually nothing to do with the health of the tree but that it is causing subsidence to a property close by.

Really? Our house has suffered from subsidence and the council refused to remove the tree, we watched our house deteriorate over three years, whilst our insurance company battled for it's removal, they lost, we had to go to partial underpinning and the tree still remains and the council paid the insurers ?35k+! Great use of council tax monies!

Does anyone know how you get trees pruned every year? The tree is turning into a monster and needs pruning? Who does one have to contact at Southwark Council?

Most trees are on a two or three year rotation to get pruned, but there is a department at the council with specific responsibility for this sort of thing who will speed it up if you contact them. (I'll PM you the e-mail address of one of the individuals there tomorrow when I'm back in the office.)

I had a similar 12 month battle with the council to get a tree removed but I did at least win in the end.