Moaning about (local) stuff

Genuinely seriously, what are people hoping to achieve with threads like this?

If the service ain't great, or the beer's a bit stale, or the waitress is a bit slow - just tell them. It seems to me that by raising a whole thread of issues on here basically moaning about a venue you can suddenly create a whole vibe that somewhere is a bit shit by creating a central point for people to complain. If your objective is to kill business this is a great way to start.

If I don't get the service I expect I raise it there and then,?not moan about it on a forum.

I have no connections to any local businesses by the way, just getting a bit tired of the the odd moan becoming a big issue. All a bit net curtains.

The best way for people to get things of their chest is to open their mouths and say something in person if it means that much to them.

Failing that - smiling, saying "everything's lovely, thanks" and then nipping home to deliver an anonymous electronic slagging-off is The Right And Proper British Way.

I don't rally see a problem as this forum is all about local opinions and observations. It would be good if some of the criticism was tempered with more threads praising local places, though these often seem to raise suspicion.

That said I disike threads slagging off identifiable individuals at local shops, which is just rude and out of order.

Why don't you start "an everything in ED is nice, and all the shops are lovely thread?"

I'm torn on this. Reading ruffers' post I was nodding, thinking "quite right". However, places get praised on here if they are great, if you have a really bad experience, why not share it? You could argue that people have a right to know, and as adults, surely we can make our minds up.

I can honestly say that nothing I've read on here has ever made me try a place out or not.

I agree that maybe you should say something there and then, but if you get no joy from that, then by all means get on the forum and stick the knife in! >:D<

Don't have a problem with criticism, but half the time it's not criticism.. it's revenge, dressed-up in the ill-fitting guise of 'public service', posted by someone who couldn't bring themselves to say anything at the time, has stewed over it, had a few beers, come over all righteous and spilled it out on here.

That's poor.

i agree, the type of pathetic whinging heard on this forum, is due to people who don,t have the balls to actually stand up and say something for themselves in the first place, but would rather hide behind a keyboard and no doubt dress up their moan using a bit of poetic license. as my old mother would say to me "have you no tongue in your head"

i tend to find the best policy is not to walk into a shop and not expect the staff to be fawning all over me and falling at my feet just because i have graced their presence, but rather acknowledge them, get on with my business and then if i feel there are any issues let them know about it, asking for the manager usually stirs things up a bit.

then i add them to my blacklist and vow to shop elsewhere. job done.

I moaned about the Montpelier and the bad service I recieved there the one (and still only) time I went in there. The responses I had were mixed, however if others had all concurred that my negative experience was highly unusual I may have put it down to bad luck and given it another chance.

If people dont moan nothing gets fixed it's as simple as that. Some people are not into complaining whilst in the shop/restaurant/pub, and so feel the need to vent the anger on here. Others do both, such as myself, and usually we do get some sort of change over time. I will never forget my ranting about the Fish and Chips on LL not so long ago, I was eventually and rather kindly offered a free meal and glass of wine. Complaining does work, try it sometime.

Louisa.

If you don't like winging you can always move to America where's everything just GREAT or Australia where you can reinforce their belief in winging poms - it's our kultur innit.

First time I went to the USA I hired a car at the airport and when the assistant asked me how I was I replied not so bad - he looked at me astonished and said what does that mean is that good or bad - so I took breath and said ABSOLUTELY GREAT to which he replied great - I really love your Queen Mother - can't really argue with that - I wanted to but realised it wasn't appropriate. I'm from the North where we're taught not to get too big for our boots and that everything's a bit sh*t really - which is why probably people are more friendly and you can talk to strangers without them thinking you're a psycopath or trying to chat them up.

Some large organisations (think Housing Associations) only seem to respond to organised criticisms on forums such as this.

I still often say nothing about bad service .. but go elsewhere - it's the way I was brought up/British nature. More and more you get asked if everything is fine now - but the tendancy is still to say 'Yes, OK :)' even when it isn't.

I moan and complain when appropriate, and find it gets results.

I praise and compliment when appropriate, and find it gets results.

Both are easy and free - a boon in these credit-crunched times, eh?

I agree Nero.

I know for a fact that this forum can briefly influence a restaurant's takings when praised on here.

I do not think it can put anyone out of business, unless that business was rubbish and going out of business anyway, but I believe it can accelerate it's position.