Look out for new (traffic) camera car (in East Dulwich)

lpool

You may by now have spotted a red Smart car doing the rounds of East Dulwich with a camera sticking out the roof. I was given a demonstration of a similar one last week and they are clever beasts, and could cost you lots of money. They can replace current traffic wardens by simply driving around, logging car number plates and location, and immediately determine if a car is illegally parked on a single or double yellow line. If it is, it links to the DVLA to obtain owner details and a PCN gets issued in the post. It will also hi-light any car parked on the road that has not got an MOT or insurance which is a positive thing.

Couldn't agree more!

Only me! Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A few minutes in Grove Vale around the Nth bound

> bus stop, where inconsiderate/poorly parked cars

> reduce trafic to a single lane & bring the road to

> a standstill when there is a bus at the stop ...

> would be most appreciated.

Only me! Wrote:

> A few minutes in Grove Vale around the Nth bound

> bus stop, where inconsiderate/poorly parked cars

> reduce trafic to a single lane & bring the road to

> a standstill when there is a bus at the stop ...

> would be most appreciated.

It was there today at about 445 pm. A woman pulled up outside the newsagent on the corner of Elsie Rd. - about 2 cars back from the Smart car and the periscope camera went up and I assume took a picture of the car.

There's an item in another forum called TheLondonBikers where it has been discovered that these cars are themselves not required to obey the rules they fine others for. So if they're parked on a double yellow line taking a photo of a car parked on a double yellow line in order to send them a fine, that's allowed; they weren't breaking the law themselves by parking on the double yellow line. Ridiculous eh?

AcedOut Wrote:

> They also have to clearly display a camera sign.

> If they catch you and there is no camera warning

> where you are parked, then it's not enforceable.

> Or so I have been led to believe.

What kind of camera sign? I just noticed the car as I was walking down the street. It was just near the bus stop. How would you see it if you pulled up a few cars behind as did the woman I saw?

Car with camera watching people - good idea. People it currently targets - bad idea. Focus on safety and not money making. I guarantee the money brought in by the council barely covers the cost of the car, petrol, insurance and salary of the two numpties with their new toy currently prying on the 99% of honest, innocent ED residents.

AllSeeingEye

Am I misunderstanding or are you contradicting yourself - you are implying the council are out to make money but then suggesting they aren't doing that? Because they are focusing on the non-profit-making safetu cases?

And 99% is a figure I don't recognise trying to cross the road and avoiding the mobile-toting-speedlimit-breaking drivers I encounter on any 5 minute walk