Making great coffee at home

char1ie

I'm thinking about buying a Gaggia Titanium to make proper espresso and capuccino at home. Anybody else have a method, a machine or a recommendation for proper coffee?

The Titanium has beans at the top, espresso out the bottom, a proper steamer with proper pressure and it's fully automatic:

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/prodimages/gaggia/titanium-plus/198_99_titanium_plus.jpg

And I have been lusting after the tank filled Gaggia TS for some time - more robust, more industrial, less automatic:

http://kofem.ru/images/goods/good_455bbd36bd797.jpg

There's one on the bar of the EDT.

Charlie

Out of interest how many double espressos could you buy at the EDT for the cost of this admittedly marvellous-looking machine? :))

And yes, Illy beans are the best, and should be at the price: from time to time though Sainsbury's knock ?1 off a tin and then I bulk-buy!

I must say that I think percolating coffee has a special quality and also is hugely reminiscent for me of Christmas time when my grandfather would buy freshly ground coffee beans and fill the house with the wonderful smell every morning. I would come downstairs as a five or six year old to see the silver coffee percolator going "blubble-blubble" on the hot-plate. Memories!

I knew there had to be an answer. And, let's face it, for a six year old, it is the most exciting way to watch coffee being made (especially if you have also watched the beans being ground at local importer). I remember us getting the plywood tea-crates from the importer to put our toys in. We had to rip out the foil linings and every time we went to get out Action Man there was a wonderful smell of tea.

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Out of interest how many double espressos could

> you buy at the EDT for the cost of this admittedly

> marvellous-looking machine? :))

>

> And yes, Illy beans are the best, and should be at

> the price: from time to time though Sainsbury's

> knock ?1 off a tin and then I bulk-buy!

For the Gaggia TS the answer is 550ish.

Ive had a brace of the gaggaias and they aint what you expect

they make a noise like a trabant engine with a loose scraper ring & shot bottom end. they really are grim - the finish is utterly shocking - more sharp edged tinplate than a 1950's Japanese toy robot.

Th water takn on my model did seem to be constructed to make filling as complicated as possible.

Go for simplicity - there a many decent priced espresso machineas about that do exactly the same job , but with no fancy dan frills - its a very basic concept - a water tank, a heater and a filter.

you atre paying serious money for the gaggia badge and in my opinion, its not worth the hassle or the expense.

AnotherPaul Wrote:

> Kimbo is my favourite coffee, fiesty and

> Neopolitan.

> It's stocked in SMBS

> and no I don't work there.

Iv been to naples and its not a taste I would wish to remembet to be honest - Tirana felt a great deal safer and marginally cleaner

snorky Wrote:

> Ive had a brace of the gaggaias and they aint what

> you expect

>

> they make a noise like a trabant engine with a

> loose scraper ring & shot bottom end. they really

> are grim - the finish is utterly shocking - more

> sharp edged tinplate than a 1950's Japanese toy

> robot.

>

> Th water takn on my model did seem to be

> constructed to make filling as complicated as

> possible.

>

> Go for simplicity - there a many decent priced

> espresso machineas about that do exactly the same

> job , but with no fancy dan frills - its a very

> basic concept - a water tank, a heater and a

> filter.

>

> you atre paying serious money for the gaggia badge

> and in my opinion, its not worth the hassle or the

> expense.

I agree that they are Italian made, rough and ready, unreliable and shonky. Do you have a recommendation for a good machine Snorky?

Charlie