Loft extensions - seeking views on a few companies

We're planning to convert our loft and after doing some research (on here and elsewhere) we got quotes from four: Benchmark Lofts, Taylored Lofts, Absolute Lofts and Prestige Build and Management (the legit one - Jay Gentle). We were most impressed with Benchmark and Prestige and think we're edging towards Benchmark based on price.

Before we take the plunge, has anyone used any of these companies recently, especially Benchmark? Good/bad experiences?

We are using Benchmark and have been really impressed with the quality of work and the time that the build has taken, will be completed in around 8 weeks total. Thomas has been really helpful guiding us along the way, he is very knowledgeable and has some great ideas. All of the various trades people involved have been really hard working and respectful around our house. We would recommend Thomas and Benchmark.

We used Benchmark Lofts, really good all round service. The guys onsite were extremely hardworking and polite. Thomas was onsite everyday and kept us up to speed with how the project was progressing. Before the project began Thomas sent us a schedule to fill out where we could choose what type of electrical and carpentry finishes we wanted. Really happy with the workmanship and would definitely recommend Benchmark.

We used Outlook lofts and can't recommend them enough. They came up with design ideas other companies didn't and the quality of the finish was excellent. At the time I had a newborn baby but it was a quick and stress free process. Thr only thing is you might have to wait a while as they are very popular because they do such a good job.

• 5 months later...

We would strongly recommend Benchmark. Tom is the owner but instead of just doing the sales pitch then leaving it all to builders he was on site everyday making sure everything was ok. Nothing was too much trouble and he and the team genuinely care about their projects. We had a problem with a leak during the crazy rain this summer and Tom came over at 10.30 at night to fix it. He has also been on hand after the project for any small amendments as well as extremely patient with our indecision on lighting design.

The best part of it was that Tom actually provided genuine advice on our choices, helping us make our loft look the best it can be. Some companies wouldnt care but Benchmark clearly wanted what was best for the house.

I would recommend Benchmark to anyone and happy to expand on this if needed.

Thanks Tom and co!

• 4 weeks later...

Another recommendation for Benchmark Lofts. Tom has been brilliant to deal with from the outset. Solution focused and with aesthetic sensibility - brilliant and imaginative design ideas that are you'd struggle to find among "geezer" builders or job lot loft firms. He's on site every day from 7am ish before his guys arrive and his guys have been happy to work 6 and sometimes 7 day weeks.

His quote came in equally affordable to the others we sought and every one of his subcontractors and labourers have been pleasant and professional and all describe loving working for him. I would not hesitate to recommend him and as with others would be happy to expand if you PM me.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I would massively recommend Benchmark Lofts as well. We have just had our loft converted, and Thomas and his team finished on time (in fact slightly earlier than expected), came in on budget and have done an amazing standard of work. They are all are so polite and respectful, they coped with my toddler causing chaos everywhere and they honestly went over and above what we could have expected them to do. Thomas is really communicative, and has an awesome memory - you just have to ask him to do something once and it just gets done. Also happy to expand on any of this if you PM me. Genuinely, we could not have been happier with the process or the end result.

Chloe