I have to get out of Gipsy Hill...

Well after 3 months of living in Gipsy Hill and the multiple run ins with the local crack heads and drug dealers (one of which apparently lives in my building) we are moving.. We had no idea what it was actually really like when we moved there (we had returned from a year in Australia and needed a place to stay lively!) and much to my disappointment its just not the place for me...

I would love to be around East Dulwich even North Dulwich (wouldnt we all) but my partner is very hesitant as ED is so close to Peckham and she feels its possibly not the safest area in the world...

Without anyone taking offence to what I have said about ED, Peckham or GH could I please have some honest opinions on what the area is like both good and bad.. We do go out in ED alot but I guess commuting and living from an area is highly different from just getting dropped off and picked up by a cab when you fancy a pint..

thanks I would really appreciate it..

Jules :)

We live in the bit of Peckham that borders East Dulwich (Bellenden) and moved here from renting in Pimlico in 1999, all a-tremor at the SE15 postcode but have found it friendly, quiet, neighbourly , attractive, convenient and even a bit groovy.

I live on the ED side of East Dulwich Road so am a spit from the SE15 badlands. I walk to work everyday up Rye Lane or through the back steets. Often go wandering up Rye Lane shopping at the weekend and get late night buses back from town quite regularly.

Not one problem in 9 months. Not one. Nothing threatening at all. Some anti-social behaviour but nothing worth writing home about. Rye Lane is a bit grubby but lively, friendly and cheap. Bellenden is a bit more chic with prices to match.

I know nothing about Gypsy Hill but if it's as bad as you say it is, get down here sharpish. The water's lovely.

I would be amazed if this thread didn't get several horror stories from those living in ED and or near Peckham. Not because they are especially bad areas but as Mike P says, there is no part of London which isn't affected by crime of some sort. Even within areas - Gypsy Hill, East Dulwich etc there are good and bad parts.

It is conceivable on a Gypsy Hill forum that someone living in ED has had a run of burglaries and muggings and has had enough and is asking GH residents what it's like

ALL THAT SAID

This is a topic that has cropped up many a time on here and I still say that pound for pound, ED is the safest place I have lived. And that includes rural Ireland and Devon as well as several other parts of London. I have been here seven years and like dave-carnell regularly walk through ED & Peckham often at night and never, not once had a problem. I'm not saying there are no problems - justa bit of street smarts and basic odds should see you fine.

You mention "run-ins" with crackheads - not sure if that means muggings, being robbed or just keep running into them. Simply moving won't stop you runninginto or seeing these people regularly- but then you say you go out in ED quite a lot so you are probably aware of how things pan out in the evenings here too

Lived in Coop House - bottom of Rye Lane snce November - no run ins with locals of any sort - although someone did smash my car window once (in the secure car park too). Don't feel threatened round here at all (in the way you seem to in Gypsy Hill) - I even had a pint in Peckham Weatherspoons once (strange place).

Rye lane is noisy though.

We live up near the library and it is completely fine. There has been some trouble once or twice over the past few years outside the late night Cost Cutter by the bus stop but other than that the closest to anti social behaviour is the bastard bus drivers pissing by the bins and dog poo on the pavement.

Aside from that the air in East Dulwich is fresher, the sky bluer and the birdsong more harmonious. The sun shines here for 355 days a year with the other 10 days reserved for snow over Christmas. The women are the fairest in the land and as testament the men have a spring in their step. The Empire?s finest beer is reserved for distribution in our pubs and sold to locals to the reasonable price of 17p a pint and credit is always given if you find yourself short. Which you will not as East Dulwich people are all 6 inches taller than their out-borough counterparts as a result of the healthy air, sunlight and the superior quality food sold in our shops. Every barman is a qualified psychologist and knowledgeable of classical literature and contemporary music and after closing time the dimension of space conveniently changes to make you house within easy walking distance of whichever establishment you are leaving. I won?t carry on for fear that some cynics may think I am speaking rubbish.

It is also, in my opinion, not as plagued as by self obsessed wankers with something to prove as the others areas I have lived in London have been.

Thank you so much its really great to get such an insight..

@cdonline - my partner has also received the same 'battygirl' well battyboy for you around GH so I guess its just around isnt it.. Such a shame..

@SEanM - my run ins have been being abused and confronted by a bunch of them at the shop, being harrassed at the station, been called a F'ing white B by someone amongst other things and on saturday afternoon was actually followed in to my block by someone who was a little bit of a loose cannon and screaming at me I f*cking know where you live all because I was unloading my shopping bags out of the boot of a friends car in MY driveway and she needed to park up to go and score of the dealer on my first floor... Im all for a little variety in my life in regards to people I see and meet on the street but GH has presented a whole different level of it that to be honest with you Im not ashamed to say I dont like and just dont want to live around..

thanks again everyone I do really appreciate you taking the time to post your views.

Jules

Just to add to the other comments - I have lived in ED for over 20 years and have never felt anything but safe - although I am not out and about late at night Fridays/Saturdays. I have also never had any trouble with Peckham - if anything it feels safer there than it did about 15 years ago.

Have visited Gypsy Hill on a couple of occasions - to be honest I thought the place was horrible. Loads of skanky, dodgy-looking characters hanging about. A shame, because some of the houses look lovely.

I think you'll find East D and Posh Peckham much nicer!

the "battyboy" comments have made me all nostalgic - I used to get that all the time in East London. Sign of getting old I suppose

Strawbs: sound like an unfortunate situation. I've left places before but not been in the situation you describe. I have friends in GH who say the love it and have never had problems but if you one is unlucky enough to end up in a street with anti-social neighbours it can turn you off a whole area

best of luck with any move you do make. You could always come alongto the next forum drink up and meet several of people from the forum - many of whom live in different neighbourhoods. Compare notes and that...

@SeanM - thanks that would be great!! I had put my name down for the last one but had to get a wisdom tooth out.. I will keep my eyes peeled for the next thread re drinks.. We have 9 weeks til we can move so I definitely have some time up my sleeve..

thanks again

:)-D

I've lived in ED for 9 years and have had no problems. Lovely place to live. Key thing for me is that you can walk in to many nice destinations and without having to pass through a dodgy area. As SeamMac says, bit of street nous is always handy. Guess you learn that over time.

I've lived in various places In East Dulwich for the last 8 years, including 5 years in a lovely flat on Muschamp Road which is actually SE15 and we've never had any problems and love the area! We go to pubs in the Bellenden Road area alot and as a female I have never had any problems walking home from either Peckham Rye station or East Dulwich day or night....

I am sure East Duwlich has its own fair share of characters but that's the same for all parts of London

Strawbs I sympathise with your plight and whilst moving area may or may not lead to a perceived safer environment (economics has a lot to do with choices available) there may be another option (which you may have done already). Why not report the drug dealers to the police if you know they operate from the first floor of your block? Is there a residents association for your building and are other residents prepared to take a stand? Unfortunately the only way we're going to reduce crime is if more of us stop putting up with it, and I'm not talking necessarily about single handedly confronting the villains with a baseball bat.

Moved to the area last year due to the ED/Lordship Lane draw (predictable "drift" from Clapham like many others - cue abuse...). Ended up going for the Bellenden area and no regrets. SE15 postcode of course but discounted houses as a result.

Safety wise no problems at all, in fact quite a community feel. As pointed out by Mike P absolutely nowhere in London is immune to trouble, I think the difference is in frequency. Friend of mine got held up at gun point on Goose Green (SE22!) at the end of last year but isolated incident and hasn't put him off living around here at all. So it happens, but there's a difference between the psyhological battering of continual insults/grief and one off things happening (unless you actually get shot, of course in which case I'd take the occasional "batty-boy" comment!).

To the comments in the original post, a word on Peckham itself and the cross over into ED or other neighbouring areas. Yes, there are some undesirable elements in "real" Peckham (east and north of Rye Lane) although fewer than people think. But Rye Lane itself is a real boundary - west of it "posh" Peckham is completely different and in my experience doesn't suffer from proximity. Without wanting to start an ED/Peckham Rye debate, it also has the advantage of being close to both ED and Peckham Rye train stations which offer hugely flexible traval options (a prime reason for us moving here in the first place).

@lozzyloz - Unfortunately I had the same thought as you and when the landlord arrived on saturday after the 'incident' and we said we were moving out he said not to do anything about the guy downstairs as its rumoured/well founded no idea that the police are on the take as apparently they are well aware of him, he has people working for him, other places in London and abroad so as much as I would like to I think whilst I live there it would not be in my interest to take the man on especially if my landlord is correct and the police wont do anything.. Now I dont know this to be gospel but if my landlord thinks that and he owns the flat I think Im best to just get the hell out of dodge!

@shorri - where is the Bellenden area? what parameters would I use to look for flats there on an online real estate site? I.e. surrounding streets or something..

Strawbs - see attached map for a rough idea of the "Bellenden area".

Basically anywhere in the proximity of the Bellenden Rd shops or that has a Gormley-designed bollard and fancy street lights. Estate Agents will stretch its boundaries, no doubt.

It's a very nice little patch - especially at weekends. But a bit quieter than Lordship Lane which is a bit more of a destination point.

@david - that is brilliant absolutely what Im after.. thank you..

Ok so I guess the next step is to research properties, Ive already researched the transport which isnt too bad, certainly much better than North Dulwich..

thanks

:)

Strawbs does the dealer live there permanently or only when dealing? If he lives there and it's not a huge expensive apartment then I'd tend to think that he's just one of thousands of average dealers rather than the head of some international trafficking syndicate. Call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Even if SWAT don't burst in with machine guns and dogs the intelligence might be useful in the future.

I remember reading about the guy who was killed on Gipsy Hill after confronting a couple of youths about litter in Gipsy Hill. Sickening crime and the killers only got 4 years.

Another option if you want to stay around the East Dulwich area is somewhere on the ED/Forest Hill/Honor Oak borders (draw a line down Barry Road, up Forest Hill Road, down Honor Oak Park Rd and back up Lordship Lane). We moved here about 18 months ago and it feels like a good compromise/combination. Close to Lordship Lane and the Park, but (in my experience) quieter residential streets with lots of families. Transport links not as good as elsewhere in ED (we're about equidistant from Forest Hill and Honor Oak rail) but the buses are good. Some good basic local shops on Forest Hill Road.

Touch wood, we haven't had any serious issues with crime and we live on a street with an active neighbourhood watch co-ordinator. So much so that my other half accidentially left our car unlocked for 24 hours recently and nothing got taken.

@Lozz - Im not sure to be honest he is there sometimes and not others but I will definitely give it some thought..

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted on here for me, I have printed the thread and armed with the info you have given me, transport links and a map Im going home to convince the wife that ED is the place to be..

thanks again I really appreciate it..

:)