Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Your Local Personal Trainer

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
messageRe: Aircraft noise -
Posted by mikeb April 11, 06:20PM

It's been a great week for noise. Although my kid did complain that the birdsong was waking him up - no pleasing some people!

Posted by toto April 14, 07:16AM

To a all the people who claim they don't make any noise difference whether planes fly above us or not, please have a listen today - when they don't - and realise how badly Heathrow is located.

Posted by mikeb April 15, 11:06PM

Still quiet in the mornings. Iím loviní it!

Posted by Asset April 16, 08:50AM

Yep, we have East winds forecast until Monday next week, quiet mornings until then.

Posted by Penguin68 April 16, 08:58AM

To a all the people who claim they don't make any noise difference whether planes fly above us or not, please have a listen today - when they don't - and realise how badly Heathrow is located.

Or how badly you are located? Or did you move to your current address before the airport was built?

Posted by stephent April 16, 09:28PM

Penguin68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To a all the people who claim they don't make any
> noise difference whether planes fly above us or
> not, please have a listen today - when they don't
> - and realise how badly Heathrow is located.
>
> Or how badly you are located? Or did you move to
> your current address before the airport was built?

When Heathrow opened it carried 63,000 passengers a year, and was (initially) built very intelligently to allow for takeoffs and landings in a wide range of directions. If that were still the case I donít think many people would be complaining about the noise.
Aircraft technology changes, flight paths change, passenger numbers change; as such the number and location of impacted people change.

Posted by ThorNogson April 18, 07:58PM

It has been better this last week without Heathrow over us, but SE London gets no respite- if we don't get Heathrow arrivals we get London City, and in light easterly winds it is both.

April 9th to 18th, saw 10 consecutive days of every single London City aircraft flying under 2000 feet over Forest Hill/Dulwich/Herne Hill. In Nov 2018, Liam McKay, a director of this airport said . 'The key metric for us is noise complaints as a reflection of distress levelsí.
So complain if you are bothered by this at all otherwise they think this is ok. Little airport, big noise.
Here is where you do it. [www.londoncityairport.com]

Posted by mikeb April 25, 10:28AM

Cheeky bonus today - westerlies yesterday afternoon but reverted to easterly overnight! honestly, I would much rather have the City landings every 5 minutes than Heathrow every 40 seconds.

I wonder if the westerly preference has anything to do with HM Queen's residence in Windsor? From personal experience, Windsor is completely intolerable when planes are landing overhead.

Posted by Applespider April 25, 04:29PM

Mikeb, I think it depends where you are in the area. Personally, the Heathrow flights are less intrusive than the city one so am becoming more and more keen on Westerlies!

Posted by mikeb April 26, 10:22AM

let's agree that we'd rather the flight paths for both airports didn't overfly millions of people at low altitude.

Posted by ThorNogson May 13, 07:47PM

Fine weather again, donít forget to keep logging noise complaints with London City Airport. Hereís mine from today.
'Once again I find it necessary to complain about the low altitude aircraft flying today over Forest Hill to LCY. They fly under 2000 feet, which is too low, create persistent repeated noise at around 60 db and interrupt greatly the enjoyment of the outdoors. Inevitably this happens during the fine weather that accompanies east winds in this area. I am also dismayed to see that LCY has applied to the CAA to put back by nearly a year the CP1616 process. This appears to demonstrate the lack of any urgency or concern by the airport for overflown residents, despite three years of record complaints and detailed representations to the airport by residents including from the Forest Hill Society following the introduction of concentrated low altitude flight paths over SE London in 2016.'

London City are going through an Airspace Change process, a review of the flight paths they use. They have applied to the CAA put back the process í in order to deconflict the engagement process with previously planned airport activityí. I would think this means their expected expansion plans in the forthcoming Masterplan, which they are prioritising ahead of addressing noise relief and flight paths.

Meanwhile here is a way we can all help to quantity the aircraft noise in our or any area, using a new app developed in Holland. Download Explane on to your smartphone, then simply point the phone mic at a noisy aircraft. It logs the noisiest 10 seconds, identifies the plane and you can then submit the data to their central database. The crowdsourced data is then analysed, shared and can be used to provide evidence of the need for change. This is so new that no one is using it for London City planes yet. I started today. Could a few of us start to build an evidence base that we can use to create more pressure for change? Anyone else care to try it and report back?
[explane.org]

Posted by Humdinger May 14, 09:23AM

How peculiar that one could live in a city such as London, with its multiple airports, and complain about aircraft noise.

Perhaps a move to a more rural area may be best, but then of course, you'd need to be careful not to move close to any churches, lest the bells which have rung for hundreds of years might interrupt ones beauty sleep.

I find the birds singing from 4:30 in the morning far more disruptive to sleep than planes going over, i do however have no intention of complaining to the council, and perhaps encouraging a cull.

Posted by mikeb May 14, 10:08AM

@Humdinger, thank you for taking the time to comment. It is true that some birds have the ability to sing at unbelievable volumes - see here:
[www.newscientist.com]

but I think more commonly aeroplanes are typically louder. It is also true that aircraft flight paths are changing to increase the noise whereas sadly I think bird numbers are declining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 14, 10:08am by mikeb.

Posted by MrDude21 May 15, 11:29PM

I really donít think they care, they probably have websites for you to complain, a campaign, regular updates saying ďcontinued problemĒ ďlooking into itĒ etc, even if they take it to parliament to debate.. they donít care, itís all for show to make public feel that things are in place for them because if they didnít have these things in place it will be worse, this way they can control those who complain about aircraft noise by making you feel you are doing something, but the actual truth is they simply donít care! London airports make millions in revenue yearly, pilots will not be able to monitor where they fly over, they need to circle London airspace for a number of reasons until they get the all clear for landing, a majority of the time planes fly over this part of London 3,500 - 4000ft low, as for LCY itís understandable for them to fly lower as they are approaching the airport runway.

We live in London, we chose to carry on with our lives here/move here and we have the choice not be here. We live in one of the biggest cities in the world, where Heathrow is one of the worlds biggest hubs in terms of incoming/outgoing/connecting flights, this is our life, and unfortunately the truth is no matter how much you complain about it they simply donít care, they get your feedback, they put up articles, campaigns are led by the public but I donít think it will change at all, itís all about money to them..

Posted by MrDude21 May 15, 11:35PM

I also want to add I have noticed that many landings now take place from reading down to LHR rather than over London, but you must also remember that people on that side will also start complaining, no matter what there will never be a solution or peace for anyone, if it really does bother many of you then the only solution is to to move to somewhere where you wonít find any aircraft noise at low altitudes.

Posted by mikeb May 30, 10:32PM

Mr Dude, I know you are right: Heathrow would rather spend £20bn (and be remunerated for this) than think more imaginatively and long-term about what might actually work for this country i.e. an airport north west of London.

By the way, I have complained to CAA, NATS, Heathrow and City about the particular situations that result in both Heathrow and City planes overflying us. On Tuesday, this reached 90db and was so continuous that holding a conversation in the park was difficult. CAA has written back saying it's down to NATS. I will report back.

Finally, can anyone understand what this is about? [airspacechange.caa.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 03, 01:35pm by mikeb.

Posted by ThorNogson August 01, 08:29PM

As the word spreads about what London City wants to do- their draft Masterplan aims for a huge increase in their low altitude concentrated flights over Forest Hill, Dulwich/Herne Hill, the fight back is being led by a new campaign from HACAN East which needs support from the overflown right now. ĎBack the Baní, supports the retention of the existing 24 hour ban on flights between Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes. London City say they now want to fly in this period. What can you do?

1. Fill out a Back the Ban postcard and post it to London City at their Freepost address. Here it is. [hacan.org.uk]

2.Sign the Change petition to Newham Council, which is the body with approval over the airportís planning applications and activities. Here it is. [chng.it]

[www.hacaneast.org.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum