Aircraft noise -

lparsons

"I've tried earplugs "?150 made to measure in soft silicone sleep plugs" but after 5 hours they begin hurting and wake me up so they don't help."

It sounds as though you gave up on them rather than trying to either find a solution to the hurting, or tying another pair. You don't seem like someone that really looks for solutions, you just rant and call people moron. You should be careful about that by the way. I couldn't give a toss, but other people might not take too kindly to being called moron.

Not that I think you'd have the bottle to actually speak to someone face to face the way you speak to people on here.

Oh go on then, I can't resist!

fazer71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Further there have been changes to Jet engines

> which makes the current design prone to a high

> pitched whistle in certain atmospheric conditions

> which will drive the noise downward as the slow

> and it?s at a level which can become noticeable to

> some people more than others. Double glazing makes

> little difference as the pitch isn?t contained

> through DG and Glass.

>

You're right about the whistling sound. Quite often it's two different whistling tones, which accentuates the effect. It's by far the most disturbing and irritating noise up there in the skies, if this sort of thing bothers you. These are Airbus A320's (and previous incarnations which share the same design) - one of the most numerous aircraft currently in service - hence hearing it a lot.

That said, it's been in service - making the same sound - for about 25 years.

Casual readers and newcomers to this topic should consider small details such as this before they decide to accept 'as fact' the obsessive ramblings of a man who spent 25 years oblivious to a sound that was there all along - then woke up last Tuesday, suddenly noticed it - and decided it was ruining his life.

On with the show!

Have you been promoted to chief forum police office or something, Sue?! Thanks for your input though.

Sue Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Indeed. And complaining about aircraft noise

> in

> > London is like complaining about the sea being

> > wet.

> >

>

>

> The OP wasn't "complaining about aircraft noise in

> London".

>

> S/he was asking whether there had been a change in

> flight paths.

>

> And in any case, whilst nothing can be done about

> the sea being wet, there are various ways in which

> aircraft noise in London could potentially be

> reduced.

>

> I can't undertand why some people on here get so

> upset when the subject of aircraft noise is

> raised. If you don't want to discuss it, or think

> other people shouldn't be discussing it, why do

> you bother clicking on the thread in the first

> place?

• Administrator

Please just let people discuss topics without having to pitch in an comment about them or their posting etiquette. The topic is aircraft noise so offer advice, information, an opinion on aircraft noise etc, or a link to a previous thread on the topic.

Play the ball and not the player. And please stay on topic (or what ever your chocolate bar of choice is Bluerevolution)

*Bob* Wrote:

> That said, it's been in service - making the same

> sound - for about 25 years.

>

> Casual readers and newcomers to this topic should

> consider small details such as this before they

> decide to accept 'as fact' the obsessive ramblings

> of a man who spent 25 years oblivious to a sound

> that was there all along - then woke up last

> Tuesday, suddenly noticed it - and decided it was

> ruining his life.

>

> On with the show!

Let's be clear I am not mad I have not suddenly started noticing a noise that was "always" there.

Today there has been zero aircraft noise.

Which is exactly as it was prior to 2011 when aircraft flew into Heathrow over the Thames.

Prior to 2011 I would wake up to the sound of birds singing and turn to my GF and say "we are so lucky to live here it's so lovely and quiet".

Then sometime after 2011 little by little day by day week by week the aircraft noise increased to the point where now there is little bird song, mostly Airbus A320 engine whistle with increased rumble & drone of every type of aircraft that passes overhead toward Heathrow .. every 2 to 3 minutes starting at 5.30 am.

Sorry if I'm rambling, this is what I have heard with my ears and my experienced in the same room in the same property in the same road for over 25 years.

Casual readers and newcomers to this topic

If you are considering moving to ED and want to know the truth .... about aircraft noise .

The truth is we have aircraft noise blasting overhead into Heathrow most days it starts at 5.30 am.

If you don't want that in your life buy further north Bermondsey East London etc .... or further south though you may have problems from flights into Gatwick.

We are totally blighted by the constant sound of jet aircraft.

Apparently some locals don't hear them.. I F$?%%^% do all the F%?$??% time.

I am happy for you if you don't hear the aircraft. :)

• 1 month later...
Is the aircraft noise worse this year then last? I'm sure it was never this bad?? Or was I just happily deluded? They're flying so low I can see what kind of carrier it is and at peak times it's like a motorway up there.

klove Wrote:

> Is the aircraft noise worse this year then last?

> I'm sure it was never this bad?? Or was I just

> happily deluded? They're flying so low I can see

> what kind of carrier it is and at peak times it's

> like a motorway up there.

It's terrible 5 AM this morning !

Getting worst over the last couple of years.

hpsaucey Wrote:

> Personally think its worse. Seem to be getting

> more going to Heathrow and City through Nunhead

> anyway.

Agreed .

We're living on the FULL flight path near ZERO respite.

DRONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

WIHINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GROANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

EVERY

2-3 mins

INSANE !

I don't think its *worse* this year, but I do think it's seasonal - seems to pick up around late april/early may. its definitely worse than it was during the winter. Bloody annoying. In the late evening, its so loud, and constant, if I'm watching TV with the window open i often pause the TV to wait for the noise to subside.

This is an area-wide issue that affects much of Southwark - but is particularly bad over Camberwell, Peckham, Nunhead, East Dulwich / Dulwich village. We are being overflown by virtually every plane landing at Heathrow - coming from both the holding stacks in North London and the holding stacks over Biggin Hill and Croydon. And unlike those under the flight paths in West London - which get some respite when Heathrow swaps runways - it can be completely relentless. Unless the wind is an easterly, which is hardly ever, we can have planes flying overheard every 90 secs from 4.30am to 11pm. It is not seasonal - the planes are just as frequent in the winter as they are in the summer. It is a blight on the area and people's lives and we should be making our own noise about it.

If you have not done so already, complain to Heathrow every time you are affected by noise. Heathrow has to log every complaint about noise as well as publish data on the number of complaints they receive each year and where from so it is worth doing. How to do this is outlined here: www.heathrowairport.com/noise.

Heathrow is considering a trial on steeper landing descents, so you should ask for this when you complain. We are 15 miles from Heathrow, yet planes are flying so low and are so big you can see the logos on many of them now. You should also ask for them to impose periods of respite. The more people that put pressure on them to do this the more likely it will happen.

You should also get in touch with James Barber and other local politicians and flag it as an issue they should be raising.

You should also get in touch with Hacan(http://hacan.org.uk)which lobbies on behalf of people living under the Heathrow flight path. Its website has a lot of good advice on what to do.

Finally we should all be lobbying against a third runway at Heathrow. If we think this is bad, it will be nothing to what will happen if the third runway is given the go ahead!

Sorry for the length of the post. Am a first time poster who is fed up with the constant overhead noise.