Forum Sponsors

www.lilasjewels.co.uk
xxxx
www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20
messageRe: Aircraft noise -
Posted by lavelle72 05 November, 2017 21:00

Quite loud over ED at 4.26 this morning. Would that not be curfew time? Clearly not

Posted by singalto 06 November, 2017 00:07

4 minutes early!

Posted by alex_b 06 November, 2017 10:24

lavelle72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quite loud over ED at 4.26 this morning. Would
> that not be curfew time? Clearly not

Doesn't curfew only apply to landings? I think they stack the planes over SE London waiting for the curfew which is why we get some many planes so early in the morning. I don't ever recall it being so constantly disruptive in Twickenham.

Posted by DulwichFox 06 November, 2017 10:33

I don't think aircraft stack over East Dulwich.
Planes over E.D. are on their final approach into Heathrow.

DulwichFox

Posted by tigerranks 06 November, 2017 10:57

here are the 1st flight arrivals this morning

5 American Airlines flightAA6448 Cape Town Landed 04:34
AA6448View flight details
04:45 Finnair flightAY5948 Cape Town Landed 04:34
AY5948View flight details
04:45 British Airways flightBA058 Cape Town Landed 04:34
BA058View flight details
04:45 Iberia flightIB4757 Cape Town Landed 04:34
IB4757View flight details
04:45 British Airways flightBA032 Hong Kong Landed 04:31
BA032View flight details
04:55 British Airways flightBA016 Sydney Via Singapore Landed 04:48

Posted by DadOf4 06 November, 2017 11:38

Those first 4 are all the same plane (codeshares)

tigerranks Wrote:
> here are the 1st flight arrivals this morning
>
>
> 5 American Airlines flightAA6448 Cape Town Landed
> 04:34
> 3
> AA6448View flight details
> 04:45 Finnair flightAY5948 Cape Town Landed
> 04:34
> 3
> AY5948View flight details
> 04:45 British Airways flightBA058 Cape Town
> Landed 04:34
> 3
> BA058View flight details
> 04:45 Iberia flightIB4757 Cape Town Landed 04:34
> 3
> IB4757View flight details
> 04:45 British Airways flightBA032 Hong Kong
> Landed 04:31
> 5
> BA032View flight details
> 04:55 British Airways flightBA016 Sydney Via
> Singapore Landed 04:48
> 5

Posted by alex_b 06 November, 2017 11:48

You're quite right, I should have looked more carefully. I don't know why it seems so much busier in the sky here.

DulwichFox Wrote:
> I don't think aircraft stack over East Dulwich.
> Planes over E.D. are on their final approach into
> Heathrow.
>
> DulwichFox

Posted by peckham_ryu 03 April, 2018 09:01

HACAN’s latest report, released today, finds that he problem has indeed got worse in recent years in the ‘Brockley corridor’. Here’s part of the summary:

The area is heavily overflown, with typically 38 planes an hour audible to many communities. This could rise to over 40 during busy periods and over 50 in the hour between 6am and 7am (when planes land on both runways at Heathrow). The planes are typically at heights between 5,000ft in the Greenwich area to under 4,000ft at Clapham Common. Heights have changed little in the past few years.
 Increased concentration of flights has taken place in recent years. More than ever flights are being guided through ‘concentrated corridors’ which means that particular communities are especially badly hit. We have deliberately used the word ‘corridor’ as the planes are not necessarily in a precise line but are within a corridor where they are audible.
 The overall number of flights is much the same as when we last surveyed the area 10 years ago but this masks significant changes in certain places:
- the number of flights in the east of the region has increased dramatically: daily flights in the Brockley corridor grew by 135 between 2011 and 2017; Greenwich saw an increase of 165 a day.
- flights numbers in the ‘southern corridor’ – which is focused on the southern runway – have risen significantly
- increased concentration has meant more flights for particular communities.
We concluded many more planes are joining their final approach corridors further east than before and are more concentrated within those corridors. We also found evidence of increased night concentration

Full report here: [hacan.org.uk]

Posted by MoysieC 19 April, 2018 18:24

Thanks for sharing this. I’m a member of HACAN but hadn’t seen it. Great to have the data to show that our patch of London is now constantly subjected to loud flights overhead and how much this has increased over recent years.

Posted by redpost 26 April, 2018 01:24

i believe the reason for concentration is to reduce the volume of unique complaints. Less people affected but to a much higher degree, means less complaints especially if successive complaints are not counted in stats.

Posted by mikeb 12 May, 2018 11:25

Today is one of those days when planes are landing over our heads for both Heathrow and City. That somehow doesn’t seem very fair.

Posted by klove 12 May, 2018 14:55

[hacan.org.uk]

Interesting reading on page 8 about Se22, planes have definitely got worse since 2011.

[www.heathrow.com]

Posted by mikeb 19 May, 2018 10:19

Easterlies again today, so nice and quiet.

But whenever I’ve been in Windsor when aircraft are landing from the west, the noise has been unbearable. Can you notice it on the coverage of Harry’s wedding?

Posted by uncleglen 19 May, 2018 10:37

there will be no planes over Windsor for 15 minutes today

Posted by rendelharris 19 May, 2018 19:29

uncleglen Wrote:
> there will be no planes over Windsor for 15
> minutes today

Though I was visiting my mother near Kingston and we saw/heard a very low flying chopper going to pick Wills up for the cup final and coming back again, and doubtless he'll be coming back that way...very ecological!

Posted by singalto 21 May, 2018 20:15

I’m pretty sure Prince William didn’t attend the football.

Posted by rendelharris 21 May, 2018 20:20

singalto Wrote:
> I’m pretty sure Prince William didn’t attend the
> football.

Can't have been him then. Media maybe.

Posted by fabfor 14 August, 2018 20:00

From Hacan:
A PLAN TO END EXPANSION ALTOGETHER
Innovative tax plan boosts campaign against expansion
An innovative plan to replace Air Passenger Duty with a variable levy based on the number of flights taken each year would remove the need for airport expansion altogether.

HACAN is among a coalition of campaign organisations, environmentalists and trade unions calling for a new approach to taxation around flights which would prove both equitable and fair.

Revealed in the final countdown to the publication of the Airports Commission’s recommendation on airport expansion in the south east, the tax plan aims to reduce the numbers of flights taken by a minority of the population – while allowing ordinary families a tax-free flight each year.

Writing in the Observer, campaigners said: “Contrary to aviation lobby rhetoric, a new runway is not needed to allow more international business flights, which have been declining steadily since the turn of the century.

“The hub airport argument is a smokescreen. In reality, growing demand for air travel is concentrated in the short-haul leisure sector and among a small, wealthy minority of the population. It is more of these flights that a new runway will in practice service.”

Read an in-depth report into the proposals here: [www.theguardian.com]

Half of the UK population do not fly at all in any given year – and 15% of the UK population take 70% of all our flights

The frequent flyer levy would come into effect on the second flight during each tax year, and increase proportionally with each flight taken thereafter.

Meanwhile, opposition to proposed expansion at Heathrow continues in the run up to the Commission’s recommendation.

Posted by James Barber 20 August, 2018 12:22

HACAN East [www.hacaneast.org.uk] are highlighting the noise consultation for London City Airport - [t.co]
Significant proportion of the over flights of the area due to this airport.

Posted by ThorNogson February 28, 10:08AM

just a reminder that in the recent fine weather all London City Airport arrivals are overflying us once again. Planes at 2000ft every 4 minutes at some times of day. Research shows that different people are disturbed by different noise levels. If you are at all concerned, read on.

London City are on record as saying their key reported measure on the issue is numbers of complaints so it is up to us to fill their inbox. You do this by filling in their form at [www.londoncityairport.com]
or by emailing environment@londoncityairport.com

Meanwhile Forest Hill Society with support from Dulwich Society will be meeting London City executives in early March to raise once again what we want to change - a redesign of flightpaths over us with proper consultation, an end to the concentrated flight path, flying higher for longer, periods of relief from aircraft noise and proper joint planning with Heathrow to minimise or end double overflight.

Posted by bobbsy February 28, 10:56AM

done

Posted by jwinters February 28, 01:02PM

thanks for this, I have emailed

Posted by goldilocks February 28, 01:36PM

Is there are summary anywhere of the key points for SE22 and immediate vicinity re City, like there has been for the Heathrow consultation, in terms of the factors that lead to more planes flying over our airspace that could be referenced in our comments please?

Posted by Nigello February 28, 02:23PM

I understand what you mean about different people being bothered by different planes. The smaller, quieter ones that go to City (Embraers and some turboprops, etc.) do not disturb me at all, even if they are frequent. The horrible whines and "gear changes" from the large jets in the early morning really grate; there's something about the sound that is unpleasant. I don't think they will change in the short term, however.

Posted by mikeb March 19, 05:29AM

Lying here listening to the planes. About every minute since 5. And even though I’ve got earplugs in. ☹️

Posted by lavender27 March 22, 04:33AM

It's 4.27am roaring sound of air planes every few minutes.

Posted by lavender27 March 22, 07:48AM

Ucking oody issing anking hell, I am that close to understanding shit. 4.30am , nothing gets started when hardly any sleep, and the builders in the area will start crashing and banging soon. ucking hell

Posted by rahrahrah March 22, 03:37PM

I noticed them too at around 4:30. It was a bit weird as they stopped again, but there were a load of planes flying over for maybe 45 minutes.

Posted by rahrahrah March 22, 03:38PM

I'm sure they're not meant to come over that early

Posted by mikeb April 07, 11:25PM

Today was glorious - no City or Heathrow flights. Even my kids noticed (unprompted) that they could hear more birds singing than normal.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum