Forum Sponsors

www.inshutters.co.uk
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

007Handyman

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
messageGoose Green councillors - how can we help?
Posted by jamesmcash 04 May, 2018 17:04

Hello all,

I'm James McAsh. I'm one of the three newly elected Labour councillors for Goose Green ward, along with Victoria Olisa and Charlie Smith.

I wanted to introduce myself to the East Dulwich Forum community, and to thank everyone who voted in yesterday's local elections. I know I speak for Victoria and Charlie as well when I say that it is a true honour and privilege to have your trust placed in us.

Regardless of whom you support politically, or whether you vote at all, we three Labour Councillors for Goose Green are keen to do whatever we can to help.

If you want to raise something with us then you can do any of the following:
- Email: James.McAsh@southwark.gov.uk, Victoria.Olisa@southwark.gov.uk, Charlie.Smith@southwark.gov.uk
- In person at a surgery on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm at East Dulwich Community Centre, Darrell Road
- On this thread!

In general, we are able to deal with things quicker if you are able to provide:
- Your address (or the address/location of where the issue relates)
- A brief outline of the problem
- Any communication you have already had with the council regarding the issue
- For longstanding issues, a brief timeline of event
- Photos, where relevant

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit was january 31, 11:01am by jamesmcash.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by colville09 04 May, 2018 17:39

Dear James, Victoria and Charlie - thanks for saying hello on The Forum. As you say big shoes to fill but having meet you when you were all campaigning I'm very impressed with the energy and commitment so good luck as you begin your new roles.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by DulwichBorn&Bred 04 May, 2018 18:07

Definitely big shoes to fill and I hope you will at least answer emails, get things moving and support the community because my past experience has shown Labour to come up short on the above whenever Iíve contacted them whereas James has always been on the ball and got results for me.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by singalto 04 May, 2018 18:56

Colville09, you were lucky to meet them during the campaign as I certainly didnít. And I had no idea there were any Tory candidates until I got my ballot paper. As a huge supporter of James, it will take a lot to impress me.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by rendelharris 04 May, 2018 20:12

Like many, many people on the other thread, I was tremendously impressed by JB (shouldn't there be a tribute bench on GG or something? I'd subscribe!) even though he was not of a party for which I naturally have sympathy. But the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, these guys have won a free and fair election and gained the votes of a majority of residents, so let's see what they can do rather than start their tenure with a negative approach! The fact that he's already reaching out on the forum is a positive sign, no?

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Bic Basher 04 May, 2018 21:11

I'm in the new Dulwich Wood Ward and James Barber took the time to talk to me, even though I'm not a constituent. Best of luck.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Penguin68 04 May, 2018 21:58

It would be good if you could talk to your colleagues in Dulwich Hill Ward (which also covers part of the old ED Ward) to see if they too would be prepared to join this forum. Goose Green and Dulwich Hill together cover much of what people think of as 'East Dulwich' (i.e SE22 and its immediately adjacent areas). As local issues are often not exactly ward specific (i.e. they cross ward boundaries) cooperative working may prove valuable in addressing constituent problems. Whilst this forum can in no way be representative (statistically) of East Dulwich views - it might offer at times a reasonable approximation of some of them.

Good luck to you, and while you may not wish to ape James Barber's policies, copying his diligence and care for his constituents (and his willingness to enter into debate) would serve you, and us, well. Much of what he did was anyway nothing to do with party, and everything to do with constituent need.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Sue 04 May, 2018 22:04

singalto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Colville09, you were lucky to meet them during the
> campaign as I certainly didnít.


They could hardly get round everybody, let alone find them all in!

I have heard both the "new" Labour councillors speak at the meeting where they were elected to stand as candidates, and I was very impressed with their knowledge, passion and commitment.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Abe_froeman 05 May, 2018 11:21

"Much of what he did was anyway nothing to do with party, and everything to do with constituent need."

I think this is why there are so many messages of thanks on his thread.

Other Labour councillors in London who apparently found themselves in conflict on local issues with Momentum's political views seemed to end up in a very unpleasant place indeed: [www.bbc.co.uk].

We'll have to wait to see what Mr McAsh can achieve.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by kibris 05 May, 2018 14:30

Welcome good to see labour covering the wards and I don't think you have big shoes to fill more like you will do a better job. If people wanted to keep JB then they should have voted for him. But anyway welcome and good luck not that you will need it

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by alex_b 05 May, 2018 15:53

James I hope you will a good job for your constituents. I also hope youíll speak to your colleagues in neighbouring wards (particularly Rye Lane) and ask them to at least answer constituent emails if not also post on here. The most disappointing things about the Labour Party is they seem to take the electorate around here for granted.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Renata Hamvas 09 May, 2018 10:11

Hello James, welcome to the East Dulwich Forum.
Renata

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by uncleglen 09 May, 2018 23:33

alex_b Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> James I hope you will a good job for your
> constituents. I also hope youíll speak to your
> colleagues in neighbouring wards (particularly Rye
> Lane) and ask them to at least answer constituent
> emails if not also post on here. The most
> disappointing things about the Labour Party is
> they seem to take the electorate around here for
> granted.

Yes unfortunately there are some areas where you could put a red rosette on a donkey and it would get elected -as my son keeps reminding me!

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by rendelharris 10 May, 2018 06:00

uncleglen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes unfortunately there are some areas where you
> could put a red rosette on a donkey and it would
> get elected

Hope for you yet then. Funny how democracy's all fine until you don't get your own way, isn't it? Sure any suggestion that Brexit voters were ill-informed or misguided would be met with squeals of outrage from you, but when the vote doesn't go your way, out come the insults.

Extremely poor manners, by the way, to make a comment like that on a thread where a new councillor has come to introduce himself and tell people how to get in touch. I suggest you would do well to look at Mr.Barber's gracious and generous response to his defeat and try to learn something.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Penguin68 11 May, 2018 22:59

Maybe, James et al you might care to look at this, as an early case. I think it falls into your patch:-

[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by uncleglen 13 May, 2018 13:57

rendelharris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> uncleglen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Yes unfortunately there are some areas where
> you
> > could put a red rosette on a donkey and it
> would
> > get elected
>
> Hope for you yet then. Funny how democracy's all
> fine until you don't get your own way, isn't it?
> Sure any suggestion that Brexit voters were
> ill-informed or misguided would be met with
> squeals of outrage from you, but when the vote
> doesn't go your way, out come the insults.
>
> Extremely poor manners, by the way, to make a
> comment like that on a thread where a new
> councillor has come to introduce himself and tell
> people how to get in touch. I suggest you would
> do well to look at Mr.Barber's gracious and
> generous response to his defeat and try to learn
> something.

Manners- I have had enough dealings with the Labour party to know that they themselves have none - have you never been to a council meeting?- if you had you will know that whatever is going on the Labour lot toe the party line regardless- AND they ONLY care about your vote....I am proud to say that I have NEVER voted Labour despite coming from the East End and from an immigrant family....

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by JoeLeg 13 May, 2018 15:09

Stop derailing the thread and take it to PM Uncleglen, not that you have the stones for that...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2018:05:13:15:10:30 by JoeLeg.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by northernexile 17 May, 2018 11:04

Not sure if this falls on your patch.

St Francis Park.

Just as I type this there are chain sawed tree fellers savaging the greenery that's "close" to the house boundaries that back on from St Francis Road.

I can slightly understand the need for doing it.... but seriously, mid to late Spring when birds are nesting? Come on guys, surely you can get this changed to late Autumn early winter when its easier to get along anyway. I take care of the area behind my house anyway usually doing it in October/ November.

Just a bit of common sense, rather than random destruction of local wildlife habitat at an important time of year for it.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Penguin68 17 May, 2018 12:11

Actually, disturbing nesting birds is illegal unless there is clear and imminent danger from not doing so

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by northernexile 17 May, 2018 12:12

Absolutely livid

Two young lads in ground control orange bibs. Asked them not to cut down the beautiful lilac that overhangs and I've purposefully left for a decade. Now butchered to the ground "because they have to"

Buddleaia butchered before it gets into flower, Elderflower butchered as it gets into flower.

They said they'd leave what was left.... then carried on after i went inside. I mentioned about it being nesting season.... they said they were checking as they were going along. Absolutely not from the 40 metre stretch I witnessed being hatcheted at speed.

Who authorised this? Who canvassed residents? Who's paying for this, because I can assure you, I don't condone or encourage wanton vandalism of natural habitat that not only encourages wildlife and allows birds to nest, but also provides security and privacy.

It's been done in past years and there has at least been some sensitivity. This year, hardly anything is left standing.

Absolute idiots. Fuming.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2018:05:17:12:16:36 by northernexile.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by kford 17 May, 2018 14:35

This is happening all over Network Rail and the motorways right now. Hawthorn being ripped up during nesting season. Illegal, for sure.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by almost peckham 17 May, 2018 15:08

St. Francis park is (mis)managed by Sainsbury's, I think, not the council.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by northernexile 17 May, 2018 15:18

I believe Sainsbury's control the locking of the gates at either end, but I wasn't aware they were responsible for "managing" inside the park too.

And I'm not sure why Sainsburys would be the ones to "prune" the area between the park perimeter and the gardens it overlooks on St Francis Road. Surely that would be a council responsibility?

If a council representative could find out, that would be most helpful. We get allsorts of bird wildlife in our garden, a woodpecker visited just hours earlier, surely something can be done to stop management of trees, shrubs and habitat to be so destructively removed at such a crucial time of year.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by nxjen 17 May, 2018 16:08

From previous threads on EDF it appears that Sainsburys are responsible for maintenance of St Francis Park. See [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk].

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Tractorlad 18 May, 2018 13:41

Penguin68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be good if you could talk to your
> colleagues in Dulwich Hill Ward (which also covers
> part of the old ED Ward) to see if they too would
> be prepared to join this forum. Goose Green and
> Dulwich Hill together cover much of what people
> think of as 'East Dulwich' (i.e SE22 and its
> immediately adjacent areas). As local issues are
> often not exactly ward specific (i.e. they cross
> ward boundaries) cooperative working may prove
> valuable in addressing constituent problems.
> Whilst this forum can in no way be representative
> (statistically) of East Dulwich views - it might
> offer at times a reasonable approximation of some
> of them.
>
> Good luck to you, and while you may not wish to
> ape James Barber's policies, copying his diligence
> and care for his constituents (and his willingness
> to enter into debate) would serve you, and us,
> well. Much of what he did was anyway nothing to do
> with party, and everything to do with constituent
> need.


I second that. It would be nice for the Dulwich Hill Councillors to make themselves available via the forum and follow the example set by James Barber. This is the "East Dulwich" forum after all.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Jennys 18 May, 2018 15:54

Part of Village Ward is also SE22 as well.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by Cora 18 May, 2018 15:56

Hello James,

I am finding the £16 cost for collection of bulk waste really galling. I have 1 armchair to collect but am allowed up to 10 items. I have asked a neighbour if they have anything they would like to get rid of and we will share the cost. I also thought that if other items come up I would be able to amend the collection but no, once I have handed over the money I am not allowed to add anything else to my collection. Why has the cost gone from 0 - £16?! and why is it so inflexible that if I find an old stereo that can go I have to fork out another £16?! rather than add it to my collection. I completely understand why people fly tip now, what's the incentive not to? £16 is a lot of money and I do believe that bulk waste should be part of residential waste collection. I do not have a car so I have no alternative.

I understand this was a Labour council decision.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by JohnL 18 May, 2018 17:38

Most boroughs charge now - some much more than Southwark. It was free I agree.

[www.itv.com]

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by rendelharris 18 May, 2018 17:57

Cora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello James,
>
> I am finding the £16 cost for collection of bulk
> waste really galling. I have 1 armchair to collect
> but am allowed up to 10 items. I have asked a
> neighbour if they have anything they would like to
> get rid of and we will share the cost. I also
> thought that if other items come up I would be
> able to amend the collection but no, once I have
> handed over the money I am not allowed to add
> anything else to my collection. Why has the cost
> gone from 0 - £16?! and why is it so inflexible
> that if I find an old stereo that can go I have to
> fork out another £16?! rather than add it to my
> collection. I completely understand why people fly
> tip now, what's the incentive not to? £16 is a lot
> of money and I do believe that bulk waste should
> be part of residential waste collection. I do not
> have a car so I have no alternative.
>
> I understand this was a Labour council decision.

Ahem. Perhaps one needs to go a little further than that. It was the decision of a Labour council that's had £12M cut from its budget by a Tory government, and so reluctantly can't afford to provide all the free services it did previously.

messageRe: Goose Green councillors - hello and thank you
Posted by James Barber 19 May, 2018 10:18

Hi rendelharris,
But it has enough money for Golden Goodbyes to Labour councillors who chose to stand down as councillors back in December.
At the February budget setting Lib Dems showed how to make sufficient savings, from memory £5M, to avoid any increase in Council Tax. Amazingly this was rejected and Council Tax increased by 6% this year.
It is political choices that caused the £16 fee to be introduced.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum