Plague of flies

I have been extremely irritated by a recent dramatic increase in the population of flies in my small back-garden. In particular, I have noted large numbers of shiny, iridescent green flies. I have also observed several horseflies. As I do not keep horses, I have wondered as to the reason for this phenomenon.

Have other members of the Forum noticed a similar increase in the numbers of these insects? Is there evidence of release by malicious fly-breeders? Could it be part of a maverick ?Rewilding? project? (Perhaps providing food for birds and other insectivores).

Tobacco smoke and alcohol vapour (slowly escaping from a glass) together seem to have little deterrent effect. Do members have suggestions for keeping these unwanted pests at bay?

Yes, there do seem to be more of these about this year. It usually means there is something decaying in the garden somewhere, not always obvious, often fox or cat poo. But just today I saw a dead slug in the birdbath, covered in flies....ugh.

That's green bottle flies u get them anyone leaving food reminents. Sweet drinks spilt fox poo.

We had our Dulwich property garden due neighbours gard not regularly clearing up fox poo.

Lots it.

I regularly cleaned my bit so only flies got were from neighbours.

If ate outside spilled I'd discenfected worked well.

• 2 weeks later...

LJC56 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wasps all over the fennel just now. Evidently

> fennel is a wasp magnet, which rather puts me off

> it. Lots of bees too, on the lavender.

Are you sure its not hoverflies, they love yarrow.

I?ve noticed this too, on the area around Peckham Rye Park. We?ve had an unprecedented number of the shiny green flies, which are partial to our dog?s poo, but also to nothing food based. Perhaps it?s a consequence of all the open air spaces increase in human poo. There?s a human turd lurking behind almost every Bush in Peckham Rye Park. The dog owners pick their dogs ?gifts? up. Why not the humans?

Within minutes of walking into the garden this morning I became the focus of a cloud of small black flies. I was just about to rush indoors when I caught a whiff of something unpleasant. Examination of left shoe revealed large deposit of Dulwich foxshit. So, guess there is some truth in previous postings. However, no green, shiny flies - or large horseflies - so where did they go?

That's why we're strictly shoes-off in the house !

Fitzgeraldo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Within minutes of walking into the garden this

> morning I became the focus of a cloud of small

> black flies. I was just about to rush indoors when

> I caught a whiff of something unpleasant.

> Examination of left shoe revealed large deposit of

> Dulwich foxshit. So, guess there is some truth in

> previous postings. However, no green, shiny flies

> - or large horseflies - so where did they go?