Where is the heart of East Dulwich?

I read in another thread that part of our Forest Hill Road area should be sacrificed for the good of ""greater" East Dulwich". I know the Forest Hill Road area has for a long time been considered an outlier. In the 1970s some people even called the roads South of Colyton Road "The Bermuda Triangle".

This made me wonder where the early 21st Century perception of the heart of East Dulwich now lies.

Putting "SE22" or "East Dulwich" into internet map engines produces varying results. The only centering that makes sense to me is Silvester Road, and only because the Post Office owns the definition of "SE22" and that's where the sorting office is located.

I think most people would probably say the strip of Lordship Lane from the EDT up to Magdala is the heart of East Dulwich but I reckon you're about right in the centralising of Silvester Road, but just round the corner from there is the CPT and I think you'll get a lot of Forumites (Keef springs to mind) who would agree with me on that.

Geographically speaking the strip of LL that Jah talks of (though i reckon its up to William Rose rather than Mag) cannot be the heart, as in the centre, of ED. In postcode terms, places like top end of underhill road and the Dovedale road estate are all SE22 but are too far from that strip. The EDT is just as much on the border of ED as is the Grove Tavern. I guess the CPT is as close to the heart, geographically and spiritually speaking, as anywhere.

citizen

>>This made me wonder where the early 21st Century perception of the heart of East Dulwich now lies.<<

Northcross Road, on the pavement by Pretty Traditional, somewhere between the pineapples and the English strawberries.

Except most Fridays when it drifts a little towards the English Cheese Van...

Surely everyone knows this? :))

> the strip of Lordship Lane from the EDT up to Magdala is the heart of East Dulwich

I thought that was the liver, kidneys, and stomach of East Dulwich.

If I believe what I've read about estate agents on the forum, then it's certainly not the brains of East Dulwich.

Heart is where the home is. I think the area radiating from the Barry Road and Underhill Road crossroads may qualify as it is centered on where the majority of residents have their homes and live their lives.

I asked my children this question and they agree on an answer to it!!!

Hope and Greenwood on Northcross Road is the heart of East Dulwich as far as children are concerned. I myself would agree with Northcross Road, but would say that the heart is actually in Stell B the shoe shop. My darling husband thinks the heart of East Dulwich is William Rose on Lordship Lane, but then I have in fact been buying his meat from the butcher counter in Sainsbury's without telling him, so I just smiled sweetly and thanked him for his opinion.

Its more of a reflection on the commodification of everything - I am not a sad old marixst BTW - but shops and retail opportunities dont make an area, its the people and dare I say it, community, that make an area.