We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.hensonsecurity.com

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...175176177178179180181182183184185...LastNext
Current Page: 180 of 196
messageRe: East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?
Posted by James Barber 27 June, 2017 17:57

Hi seenbeen,
If you email me Ill ask council officials to review it - usually they get removed once the original applicant is no longer using it.

Hi Emmie42,
GLA Assembly member Caroline Pidgeon reported this issue to me several weeks ago. So you can thank her.
Really should be on a proactive maintenance list - I'm pushing for this.

Hi kford,
This seems a systemic issue. I reported it yesterday and several other instances. It should take long to get fixed...

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by Mimmum 11 July, 2017 19:14

Hello,

I would like to bring something to your attention once again Councillor Barber..
As you know, there is an illegal garage operating from Bawdale Road and I would really like to know what is being done about it? - we have sent numerous pictures and flagged this up with you on numerous occasions, but nothing is being done. If you remember, this was an issue back in 2013 on Whateley Road where the garage was previously. The mechanics are on the road constantly mending vehicles and parking cars. This is leaving mess, oil and general debris on a daily basis. They use foul language around the kids that live on the road and one of the mechanics is sleeping in the back of one of the vans now. They are constantly drinking and two of the cars have basically been abandoned on the road. As you are aware, parking is a nightmare around here anyway, let alone running a business on it. This is illegal and I can't understand how you are turning a blind eye to it time and time again. For residents on this road, it's becoming a pain and we would like it rectified.
Please let me know what you propose to do regarding this matter please. We are getting tired of reporting this to the council and to you....
Thanks in advance!

Posted by James Barber 16 July, 2017 10:21

Hi Mimmum,
I'm just back from holiday and starting to catch-up.
Let me talk to officers first thing tomorrow and come back to you.

--------------------
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by Sally Eva 17 July, 2017 17:23

Dear Councillor Barber,

The sign on the bus stand at the top of Barry road has changed and it's operation is no longer limited to overnight. There is no time limit set for the operation of the stand.

Cars are still parking in the area marked for the bus stand.

Are they risking a PCN or is there a further stage before that?

Sally

Posted by Pugwash 18 July, 2017 11:49

Where was the sign displayed? The sign I saw yesterday and today is on the lamp post and states Bus Stand. No stopping from 11 pm - midnight and midnight to 8 am. Local Buses only.

Posted by Sally Eva 18 July, 2017 18:20

I'm probably going mad. I'll look more carefully on Monday which is the next time I go through there

Posted by gabys1st 19 July, 2017 11:12

Carpark next to cafe on Peckham Rye Park has now closed............. You said that you wd look into the matter for me, see if could use access rd. Very much upset by fact tht am being made to feel more disabled than I am.

Posted by first mate 19 July, 2017 16:14

gabys1st
A number of elderly and disabled people have commented on how far the new car park is from cafe and toilets- not very well thought through. You have my sympathy.

Posted by Renata Hamvas 21 July, 2017 11:38

Sorry James for posting on your thread, but Gaby has posted about an item I have looked into.

Hi Gaby, I was told by officers that there were not going to be disabled bays put on Strakers Rd (the access road) as disabled drivers are able to park there presently.

--------------------
Cllr Renata Hamvas
Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward
Renata.Hamvas@southwark.gov.uk

Ward Surgery
4th Thursday of each month (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

Posted by worldwiser 21 July, 2017 13:08

James - wondered if you knew who to speak to: The people in the new flats above the Foxtons on LL are regularly dumping rubbish outside their building on the pavement. Would this be classed as basically fly-tipping?

Posted by James Barber 21 July, 2017 15:21

Hi Renata,
Many thanks, that's what I've now been told.

Hi worldwiser,
Yes that would be flytipping.
Homes above shops often are tenants new to Southwark and don't know how collections work and their landlords don't tell them. Let me get this seen into.

--------------------
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by worldwiser 22 July, 2017 14:41

Cheers James!

Posted by Callo143 27 July, 2017 22:39

There's a brown bin on the footpath outside my house, which does not have a lid. I've asked the council to collect it a few months ago, but it didn't happen. When I previously reported it, it was full of random rubbish and had filled up with, presumably, rain water so it absolutely stank. I cleared all of the rubbish and water out of it, still not collected. It's now filled up again with rubbish. I presume it's because it's open and passers by use it as a dustbin. I contacted the council this week again, for the 5th or 6th time and there's still no response or advice on how to resolve.

Any ideas?

Posted by first mate 28 July, 2017 07:28

Unless you are using it for rubbish yourself perhaps turning it upside down or sealing off the opening with a black plastic bag, might deter others?

Posted by James Barber 28 July, 2017 14:58

Hi Callo143,
Can you email me your address please and any reference numbers form your contact with the council and I'll get it sorted for you.

Hi first mate,
i'd rather people didn't empty such bins on the road - possibly gets things resolved but what a res and work for the street cleaners to clear-up. Not good.

--------------------
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by first mate 28 July, 2017 22:40

James, I was not suggesting they turn the bin with the rubbish in it upside down, thereby covering the street in rubbish. Havng emptied it out once my assumption was the OP might do the same again BEFORE turning it upside down or covering it to prevent further use. Dearie me.

Posted by edhistory 28 July, 2017 22:45

> Hi first mate,
> i'd rather people didn't empty such bins on the road - possibly gets things resolved but what a res and work for > the street cleaners to clear-up. Not good.

?

Posted by worldwiser 29 July, 2017 18:58

Hi James, do we have a response from the council re. Crawthew Grove? Rubbish is still there...

Posted by KrackersMaracas 30 July, 2017 00:35

...and growing

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 30 July, 2017 09:44

Hi James

Quietways work on the junction of Dulwich Village and Calton Ave is due to start in a week's time. According to the works schedule handed out to residents in the area they are scheduled to take an unbelievable six and a half months - assuming they finish on time - with multiway lights and some road closures from early Nov to Christmas. And that appears to be just for this small section of the Quietway.

This seems astonishingly slow. The junction is very busy and aggressive ay peak times and given the concentration of schools, and parents and coaches driving children to them, I fear this will cause massive stress and disruption in this area, as well as to local businesses. Can anything be done to speed it up?

Not sure this is on your patch but Village ward councillors only seem visible at election time.

Thanks.

Posted by apmuso 02 August, 2017 11:17

Hi James - as you know from previous correspondence, we back on to the site of the new health centre/school behind Melbourne Grove. We are still occasionally disturbed by generator noise in the night, but it's not generally too much of an issue. Last night, however, we were woken up at 4am by noise from the site - either them being robbed or, more likely, taking delivery of some materials. Can you let me know what's going on and get some assurances from the contractor that that will never happen again?

Thanks.

Andy

Posted by James Barber 02 August, 2017 13:41

Hi Andy,
Sorry to hear this.
Are you sure its the part for the new school or the new super clinic?
Former is the bit closest to the railway line and the latter nearer East Dulwich Grove.

I'm at work taking a quick sandwich - so ideally you'd email me at cllrjamesbarber@gmail.com so I get cracking on this on the way home from work.

Hi Robert Poste's Child,
The proposed works do seem incredibly slow. They were also proposed to start before the official governance and decision making process hadn't finished - jumping the gun. I think my lot have stopped that now.
I will ask to see the project plan and be walked through the timescales.

--------------------
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

messageRe: East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?attachment
Posted by ianr 02 August, 2017 14:32

There's been no generator noise on the Hospital site at night for at least a week. That came from the personnel cabin that was in the middle of the whole plot, which was used by a night watchman. Syd Bishop removed it last week, and their last bit of plant was I think removed yesterday. The signs put up now that Kier have taken over speak of security via CCTV monitoring. Kier are working on the school side of the fence. Their own cabin has a generator that backs onto Melbourne Grove, and is substantially louder in my estimation. It's been waking me up when switched on at seven or even earlier, even with window and curtains closed. In the daytime, if there's other random engine noise that it merges with, it's usually no problem. But if on its own it's difficult to ignore. Attached is a small sample, recorded at 7.17 this morning with a mic between the curtain and the window pane. The mic was probably unsuitable, so I've amplified the recording a bit. For comparison, the radio in the background was at lowish listening volume.

I understand that Kier have actually been setting up a communication channel for local residents, that I was going to go through. But as the matter's been raised I might as well add my own twopenn'orth of information here as well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was 2017:08:02:14:49:09 by ianr.

Attachments: s3.mp3 (112.5KB)  
Posted by Robert Poste's Child 02 August, 2017 22:17

James Barber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hi Robert Poste's Child,
> The proposed works do seem incredibly slow. They
> were also proposed to start before the official
> governance and decision making process hadn't
> finished - jumping the gun. I think my lot have
> stopped that now.
> I will ask to see the project plan and be walked
> through the timescales.

Thanks very much, James. I really feel for the small businesses at that junction and the infants school, which would effectively have works noise going on outside it all term.

Posted by dulwichrich 05 August, 2017 01:00

Hi James

Please could you let me know who approved the current road works on Lordship Lane/South circular junction by the grove tavern.

Seemingly it's been approved that extremely noisy and disruptive works can take place all night. The last few nights we have had pneumatic drills and slab cutting machines until 3 or 4am which is quite ridiculous in a very residential area. Especially with no prior warning from the council.

Why do these very noisy works need to take place so late? Previously during the road resurfacing works the noisy works finished at 2300 and after that no heavy machinery could be operated.

Richard

Posted by James Barber 10 August, 2017 10:14

Hi dulwichrich,
These road works would have been approved by TfL consulting with Southwark Council.

TfL ignore the noise problem for residents and minimise the inconvenience for south circular road users by having the works undertaken at night. Those earlier works involved some Southwakr COuncil works and were as a result more influenced to have some regard to local residents.

Philosphocially do we want as a society to maxmimise traffic regardless of local people - the TfL approach. Or do we consider local people sleep as more important than TfL road users beign delayed udirng the day. The social and economic evidence suggests the latter is better for society but portrayed as part of a 'war on cars'. The car, lorry, petrol/diesel lobbies are extremely well funded and newspaper owners support them.

--------------------
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by Penguin68 10 August, 2017 10:43

Or do we consider local people sleep as more important than TfL road users beign delayed udirng the day. The social and economic evidence suggests the latter is better for society but portrayed as part of a 'war on cars'.

Actually that isn't true - there is a real economic hit from traffic delays (and an environmental one if delayed traffic is expelling i.e. NO2 fumes as it is delayed) - if the 'social' impact of sleep deprivation - actually more like disturbance - is limited by time (only a few days) its long-term impact, even socially, is limited and it has virtually no short or long-term economic effect. I do consider that disturbing local people's sleep (however annoying it is) for a short period (under a week) - and avoiding exhaust fumes caused by queuing day time traffic - is a price worth paying even locally, and clearly we know (because studies have shown us) that lengthy queuing traffic does have an economic impact as transport costs increase. There are very strong arguments in favour of moving traffic quickly through residential areas (outwith arguments about safe speeds to travel - and I am very happy about the 20mph limits on local residential roads) for both economic and environmental reasons.

Posted by johnhinton 10 August, 2017 15:08

James, this is a ludicrous and self-serving conspiratorial fantasy: "..part of a 'war on cars'. The car, lorry, petrol/diesel lobbies are extremely well funded and newspaper owners support them." There is no such thing: your claim is just a lame rhetorical appeal when you run out of rational arguments.

All sorts of people need roads: pedestrians, cyclists, freight, tradesmen, public transport and individual motorists; and it is in everyone's interests for any necessary works to be carried out swiftly and efficiently. Not all works seem to be necessary and not all are either undertaken swiftly of efficiently, but that doesn't mean there is a vast conspiracy undermining our democratic freedoms - not when we have a Tory government that was able to co-opt the LibDems to do precisely that.

Posted by James Barber 11 August, 2017 12:15

Hi johnhinton, P68,
Also a real economic hit when people don't get a proper nights sleep. Most car journeys in London are optional. Not all but most. Sleeping isn't optional.

The works could have been programmed for a Saturday or Sunday day time for example.

--------------------
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by worldwiser 11 August, 2017 12:41

James, can you advise what the response was from the council about the refuse dumped outside the new Foxton flats? No sooner was it collected then the pile was replaced by 5 or 6 more bags. A few days later that was collected... Surely the point is that the bags shouldn't be left there in the first place? Being a new development, provision should have been made for occupants' refuse and I think local residents should be able to demand that an alternative to the public pavement be found immediately.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...175176177178179180181182183184185...LastNext
Current Page: 180 of 196

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum