The Uplands to become....(Lounged)

Steph

I too think it's a shame to change the name.

Why "The Villager", Scott?

ED isn't actually a village, though I remember laughing when it was on the cusp (good word!) of change and an estate agent called it "East Dulwich Village".

Also, Villager sounds a bit like Cottager, or maybe that's just me :))

Edited to add: Also, it's near Upland Road

I like both new names actually. Always thought 'Wishing Well' was a little odd, and think 'The Uplands' needs completely rebranding to start anew. Good luck - am also hoping at least one of them will be finished for June as will be looking for a local b&b for a family event.

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> don't forget the wishing well or whatever it will

> be called down in bellenden village.

Ooooooooh. Left my parents there one night last year, but felt sooooo guilty cause despite very friendly, very nice owners and staff it was pretty grim. Needs a serious bit of TLC before I could recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to stay.

Ooops, always read the whole thread!!! Wow, great to find a few lovely b&b's are cropping up in the area - just in time for me to move out! Typical.

wallerski Wrote:

> karter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > don't forget the wishing well or whatever it

> will

> > be called down in bellenden village.

>

>

> Ooooooooh. Left my parents there one night last

> year, but felt sooooo guilty cause despite very

> friendly, very nice owners and staff it was pretty

> grim. Needs a serious bit of TLC before I could

> recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to

> stay.

Pam50,

I am quietly confident that The Victorian Inn will be open by June. If you want to email me directly a little nearer the time we can discuss it further. [email protected]

Sue and Sazzle, I may be opening a can of worms (which is normally the case when I discuss pubs on here)... Do you feel East Dulwich is more of a Town than a Village ? And I'm talking about 'feel' not definition here.

Pam50,

I am quietly confident that The Victorian Inn will be open by June. If you want to email me directly a little nearer the time we can discuss it further. [email protected]

Sue and Sazzle, I may be opening a can of worms (which is normally the case when I discuss pubs on here)... Do you think East Dulwich is more of a Town than a Village ? And I'm talking about 'feel' not definition here.

What happened to the other Uplands thread?

I don't think it's necessary to label ED as either a village or a town or anything else.

I just think to call something a village within a City is a bit odd, unless there are historical reasons for it, and we already have Dulwich Village just up the road.

Sorry but I think to call a bar "The Villager" is just odd. Just my opinion.

The Page 2 Bar (?) called itself The Village Inn or something of that ilk a couple of years back in one of its brief incarnations, and the first time I saw the name I just thought, that's so not right.

scott Wrote:

> Did you think 'The Bishop' was a right name ?

xxxxx

Didn't have a problem with that, it was named after a chess piece - at least I gather it was from its sign!

Can't wait for it to open. There's no doubt that Scott (don't know him personally but seems to be a great landlord) has the knack of opening pubs that are a massive improvement and greatly enhance the local area. I know he plans to have rooms above the pub but does anyone know what the plan is with regards to the style of the pub? Beers/decor/food etc??

reds Wrote:

I know he plans to have rooms above

> the pub but does anyone know what the plan is with

> regards to the style of the pub? Beers/decor/food

> etc??

xxxxxx

As he's posting on this thread, I guess he can tell you himself :)

Nice observation Sazzle.. The cap fits.

Thanks Reds & Mattbrownis.

The idea (planning and licensing permitting)is to put in a Horseshoe bar (more social), move the toilets downstairs to increase trading upstairs. Show the better offerings from Sky Sports down one side (still chewing this over as Sky costs ?12k P.A. for the site). Design wise, capitalise on all the natural light and the big outside area which is a suntrap. Put in a further three 'hotel' rooms bringing the total to eight. Foodwise will be a very different offering from The Bishop but not a Gastro offering a la Palmerston & Franklins...

More news at 11....