The Uplands to become....(Lounged)

Steph

I think perhaps there was a missed opportunity here. I mean, if you already have a pub called "The Bishop" then its companion establishment might reasonably be called "The Actress" no? especially in a place as popular with great thesps of our time as ED....

I used to live near the Forester's, as it was then called, and liked to persuade myself it was named after the local writer who gave us Hornblower and the African Queen....I longed for a pub whose sign depicted a leech-covered Bogart towing that boat, assisted by Kate Hepburn....

Now I want a companion to the "Florence" called the "Ermintrude" or the "Dougal"....

All this is probably why I am an armchair pundit of mediocre wit rather than a pub magnate.....:)

i completely agree. The Villager sounds cringeworthy.

Worse, Scott, it sounds artificial and possibly even cynical, which i know isn't your intention.

Have you researched the site and found out what the pub was called years ago? (or was it the Uplands?)

Well, I think we shouldn't be too narrow minded here!

If it has been The Uplands for the last 50 years (and with a great reputation), I am sure Scott knows that it would be damn stupid to change it. If it has been named like this for less than 10 years (and it's one off 1000 other different names it might have had!) & with an infamous pedigree then it makes sense to wipe the slate clean & from a marketing point of view make sure that everybody knows it's a new beginning.

Not keen on The Villager, but what do I know in marketing & graphic design? Not a pork scratching..!

Anyway Scott you know you won't please everyone, but try to go for the majority!!!!

Good luck & can't wait to see the new premises.

Bartoche.

PS: what about The Upland Village!!!?

Amusingly, Hoser, my mates have L.A.'s first 'Gastro Pub', called 'The Village Idiot'(www.http://www.villageidiotla.com/). They spent a long week The Bishop, researching & developing.

Cheers for your comforting viewpoint SteveT, however what the press continually fail to report is The number of 'new build' Bars, Restaurants and Pubs that are opening. That along with the fact that the one thing nearly all the closing pubs have in common is that they haven't changed their offering for at least 3 years.

Can't continue the chess theme as I sold The Castle years ago and don't wish to be associated with it in it's current guise.

I like The Actress...

Domitianus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What Jah Lush and Keef said. The name is sightly

> distinctive and gives a sense of cntinuiy even

> with an upgrade. If people know it is the Uplands

> they will go to see what has been made of it. The

> Vllage sounds naff and for ages people will be

> really pissed off having to add "You know....the

> place that used to be The Uplands."

What they all said!! Keep it as the Uplands

Or take the other road it's on and called it The North Cross. sounds old and new at the same time, to my mind.

Or, much better, use the OTHER road it's by and call it the Crystal Palace. Or even the Crystal Palace Tavern. and you could have a quiz on Wednesdays. I know someone who might be free... Here's a link:

Crystal Palace pub quiz

well, political it may be, but also historical. (Lord) Palmerston was the prime minister around the time East dulwich was formed, and considering that the palmerston is at one end of the road, and the Uplands the other, surely the real man's great opponent should be the opposite number:

The Gladstone

??

Gladstone and Palmerston did fall out, but at the time Gladstone was Palmerston's Chancellor of the Exchequor (think Blair & Brown). (Palmerston had served in both Tory & Whig governments) Lord John Russell was asked by Queen Victoria (good name for a pub?) to dismiss Palmerston earlier, but was told that he was too popular ('we don't want to fight, but by Jingo if we do') celebrated his (popular, for a time) foreign policy. Gladstone was a bit of a wowser, anyway (apart from his curious attempts to 'save' fallen women) - a better political choice would surely be Disraeli - rather a convivial chap by all accounts. 'I'm off to the Disraeli for a tincture' has a ring to it.

I think I'd prefer it to remain The Uplands, if it has to change, then call it the P.G. Wodehouse.

The 'selected' Sky Sports games, don't make me chuckle sir, my lips are chapped.

As one of the few pubs around that has resisted Murdoching and the subsequent influx of bastard`idiots every time there's some sort of sporting challenge going on, I find it something of a haven.

Apologies if my language is intemperate, and I can asssure you some of my best friends are bastard idiots.

Scott - I wondered what you meant about The Castle. I used to go there lots when I worked at the Council (boy did I need it!) and used to think it was good (esp. the fish finger sandwiches). I went past this afternoon and it definitely looks the worse for wear ;-(

Looking forward to the Actress's debut?!

Sue Wrote:

> Am I imagining it, or was there not at one time a

> pub called the Gladstone round here?

xxxxx

Oh no, ooops, senility strikes again, it was in Sarf Norwood in the eighties :-$

I think it was the one in Portland Road where it was an event if one of the regulars moved slightly :))

Jake L Wrote:

> Or take the other road it's on and called it The

> North Cross. sounds old and new at the same time,

> to my mind.

Of all the suggestions on here, I think "The North Cross" is pretty good.

However, I still say keep The Uplands, which as far as I know, has always been the name.