sazzle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Scott if its a choice of calling it The Villager

> or The Towny, then lets stick with The Villager

> :))

>

>xxxxxxxxxx

Well, if those are the only two choices then yes ...... :))

Hi Scott,

Good luck with this one it really needs some major refashioning and I'm sure you're the man for the job. I'm glad you're changing the actual bar but what about those ceilings? I've always thought that the ceilings are just too high and makes it feel a little cold in there and is acoustically wrong. Anyway, who the hell am I to give advice!

On this, I am right behind you Scott, The Uplands was gutted and ruined, and anything would be an improvement on the current bar which feels like an airport departure lounge.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the name, does it HAVE to be changed? It's at the end of Uplands Road, it seems a reasonable name to me. The Villager sounds like total w@nk IMO, and is exactly the sort of thing that ED doesn't need, if it wants to cling on to a bit of self respect.

Anyway, good luck with the place, will be nice to have another decent pub slightly off the beaten track. Hopefully the annoying types will continue to drink in The Bishop, and this place will be nice ;-)

What Jah Lush and Keef said. The name is sightly distinctive and gives a sense of cntinuiy even with an upgrade. If people know it is the Uplands they will go to see what has been made of it. The Vllage sounds naff and for ages people will be really pissed off having to add "You know....the place that used to be The Uplands."

Sue Wrote:

> scott Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Did you think 'The Bishop' was a right name ?

>

> xxxxx

>

> Didn't have a problem with that, it was named

> after a chess piece - at least I gather it was

> from its sign!

There are a chain of them the Castle is in Camberwell.. wonder where all the other pieces are located.

sophiesofa Wrote:

> When I read the name the villager I thought it's

> going to be a gay pub. Maybe I'm the only one

> though?

xxxxxx

No, on the other Uplands thread with an identical name and some of the same posts in a different section of the forum, I said it reminded me of The Cottager .....

This one is the worst position for trading being off the main drag so it may prove more difficult to make it a 'jumping' success.

An interesting challenge, perhaps with more real ales and good food it should make good, but it will certainly take longer than the rest of the pubs beneath the Scott banner.

Two things I should never be consulted upon are fashion and popular music.

"The Village", however, is so naff it makes me want a poo. If I still lived locally it would be so naff it would actually make me want to move away.

In fact, if it's called the Village it should be burnt to the ground.

I genuinely don't believe that Scott is so stupid that he'd call it the Village. It's a joke isn't it. See, no question mark.