East Dulwich Sponsorship

Well this being my business an' all...

The biggest challenge with ED wouldn't be the right brand, but how many people would get to see the message. If you just wanted to get a message to the residents, you could probably put up some temporary bunting for not much more than a couple of grand. At that price Foxton's would probably take it.

The killer execution would have to generate media coverage - maybe a couple of dailies and London tonight. Remember the village in dorset that banned plastic bags??

For that you'd need someone for whom the local community embodied the aspirational character of the community as perceived by outsiders - it wouldn't need to be an accurate relection.

So Audi wouldn't work on it's own, but I'd pitch for a three week period for a hydrogen powered Audi A3. Audi would bid for residents within the SE22 area to give up their cars for a week, and replace them instead with free use of a mini fleet of say 10 eco friendly sample vehicles. They'd pay 150k for the poster coverage across the 3 weeks, with the central week having the sponsored no-drive. They'd also offer 500 quid for each household that gave up car use for the week to be paid to an environmental charity of our choice.

The 150k would go to the removal of all parking spaces on upper LL, and additional disabled spaces outside Somerfield ;-)

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well this being my business an' all...

>

> The biggest challenge with ED wouldn't be the

> right brand, but how many people would get to see

> the message. If you just wanted to get a message

> to the residents, you could probably put up some

> temporary bunting for not much more than a couple

> of grand. At that price Foxton's would probably

> take it.

>

> The killer execution would have to generate media

> coverage - maybe a couple of dailies and London

> tonight. Remember the village in dorset that

> banned plastic bags??

>

> For that you'd need someone for whom the local

> community embodied the aspirational character of

> the community as perceived by outsiders - it

> wouldn't need to be an accurate relection.

>

> So Audi wouldn't work on it's own, but I'd pitch

> for a three week period for a hydrogen powered

> Audi A3. Audi would bid for residents within the

> SE22 area to give up their cars for a week, and

> replace them instead with free use of a mini fleet

> of say 10 eco friendly sample vehicles. They'd pay

> 150k for the poster coverage across the 3 weeks,

> with the central week having the sponsored

> no-drive. They'd also offer 500 quid for each

> household that gave up car use for the week to be

> paid to an environmental charity of our choice.

>

> The 150k would go to the removal of all parking

> spaces on upper LL, and additional disabled spaces

> outside Somerfield ;-)

Ho hum - good thing I'm not paying your salary or your fee.

Taking Macroban's earlier point and recent items in the news about charitable giving - how much could the Forum do to raise funds for a worthwhile project. There must be enough management knowledge, technical skills, network contacts among the regular and irregular readers to enable this ED community to achieve something worthwhile if we so chose?

In the USA and Canada charitable giving is a way of life (I know they have tax breaks and we don't) - recently spoke to a semi professional fund raiser from Canada who reckons to generate upwards of ?50K per event, things such as hog roats, concerts, sponsored runs, sports matches - he usually manages to rope in a celebrity or two, of which there seem to be many around here.

Three points:

1. I have no axe to grind for any particular charity - local schools / hospitals or overseas good causes

2. I would help if someone wanted to kick such a thing off - but am not volunteering to lead anything at this stage

3. UK is, in fact, rather good at charitable giving - 2nd in the world (Economist data) behind the USA - 1.7% of GDP versus 2.4%.