Good cycle route into town

Different route: Upper east side to Soho Square

Townley road, North Dulwich station, RedPost Hill, Herne Hill Rd, Loughborough Rd, Brixton Road, Kennington Road, Baylis Road onto Waterloo Road and over Waterloo bridge, up Bow street and round some back bits of St. Giles to Tottenham Ct station.

To the OP: I do Forest Hill Road to Regent's Park, so very similar.

Definitely get the TfL maps.

My route: side of P R Park to Peckham, then the canal.

Peel off to join the road over it and then into Burgess Park.

Most of the way westwards through B Park, peeling off to join up with Portland St.

Up Portland St. then right into cycle lane.

Left onto road before going right into another cycle lane.

Left onto cycle lane on pavement up side of A2.

Across at lights and follow cycle route around side of - but not across! - E&C roundabout.

Right from cycle route onto Waterloo Road. Up there, Waterloo roundabout, W Bridge.

Straightover at top of W Bridge on cycle lane and up through side of Cov G.

Left after Long Acre and then first right and then admittedly sneaky illegal right and then immediate left, second right under Centre Point and you're at TCR!

I cycle every day from ED to Holbon, and I go pretty much the 176 route, apart from I use the green Dials cycle path to get to Denmark hill which is lovely but I only do it in the light due to the lack of street lighting.

I used to go around the E&C roundabout but it stressed me out too much so now I use the bypass which is much calmer!

I find that actually camberwell new road / walworth road are actually fairly quiet for cyclists as there are mostly wide bus lanes and so you get a fair bit of room, I have tried lots of different routes and find I actually perfer the bigger roads as you get more space rather than having to squeeze past cars in smaller roads.

I'd agree with others sentiments at getting the TFL maps and then just try a few routes and see what you prefer...

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it, cycling has made a big difference to me getting around London, I love it and wouldn't be without my bike now!

I cycle from Denmark Hill to Tottenham Court Road and there's a really good cycle path that allows you to cut through Kings Coll hospital, then you can take the back roads (denmark road, calais st) almost all the way to Oval Tube Station. From there there's a cycle path / very bike friendly route along Kennington Road up to Waterloo, go over Waterloo bridge (which is all cycle path) cut through the cycle path by the Lyceum Theatre on the Strand and up through Covent Garden. You can come out at Cambridge Circus on Charing Cross Rd. I think the route's pretty perfect, there's two main roads but they are major cycling roads and barely any hills/right turns! Hope that helps...

Camberwell New rd... yes intexatatthe moment, you are partly right, it is not quiet as such but from a cyclists point of view it isn't bad... I do it every day and always get lots of room in the bus lanes.

full of potholes mind....

And Imk 416 It takes me 30 mins door to door from ED to covent garden so even if you are slow it would take you a max of 25 mins to go from camberwell....

emilou, a very good way to get to Canary Warf is to cycle to Depford Bridge (or Grenwich) and take the DLR from there. Depford has plenty space to lock up your bike. It?s a great way to do it if you are new to cycling to work.

To get to Depford you can either take the A2 or is to cycle through Peckam Rye Park, Cheltenham Rd, Ivydale Rd, right on Merttins Rd, St Norbert, St Malpas, Florence and then join the A2 the last bit to Depford Bridge. Should not take you more than 20 min and not too much traffic. I am 5 month pregnant, and will be cycling up to the end. If I can do it, I am sure you can!

Have cycled to Greenwich through Nunhead. Fine but there is a massive hill just before St John's which is a bit of a shock when normally cycling from ED to central London is flat!

You can go via Greenwich foot tunnel to Isle of Dogs but have to walk through. Also lift wasn't working last time I went so had to carry the bike!

My favourite is to cycle to Greenland Dock in Rotherhithe and catch the Thames Clipper to Canary Wharf. (I then continue along the canal to Bow). Ok, so it costs, but the ferry beats the tunnels or Tower Bridge anyday, and only takes 5 minutes. You can take bikes on the ferries, no problem.