What's a good "natural" body moisturiser that's safe to use when you're pregnant?

Sorry for the trivial question but I'm nearly 7 months pregnant and my skin is so dry but I'm struggling to find an all-over body moisturiser that's safe to use in pregnancy. I'm trying to avoid anything with parabens and loads of chemicals in it but all the natural/organic ones tend to be crammed full of essential oils and I'm not sure if they're pregnancy safe. The specific pregnancy ones like Mama Mio are lovely but so pricey and I'm going through a bottle every 2 weeks. I'm using bio oil on my bump but just need something more creamy for my legs/arms etc. Also the smell of cocoa butter makes me feel a bit sick at the mo so the Palmers/Body Shop ones are out!

I forget the name of it sorry but I used a nice mum-to-be cream and oil from Sainsbury's, their own range (might even be called mum to be?). I think it's lavender and vanilla but it's very mildly scented (and nice), wasn't very expensive at all. I totally know what you mean about the cocoa butter ones, way too sweet for me too.

I use a couple of different ones - Burts Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter for stretch marks, Boots Naked Coco de Mer body butter, and Jergens Naturals (http://www.jergens.com/breakthroughs/Naturals.asp) when I go swimming. Burts Bees is quite expensive but I hardly need any, I think the pot will see me through to the birthday; the Coco de Mer is very sweet smelling so it might be a bit sickly for you. Have to say, I hadn't even thought about safety in pregnancy! Might have to do some research.

Personally have never worried about chemicals in creams etc., but if you are worried, what about somewhere like Lush? They use all natural ingredients etc. Or one of the health shops on Lordship Lane will stock "natural" products.

Or the Shea butter lady on Northcross Road, or the new soap shop up near Franklins.

Aveeno is lovely - or Oilatum wash / cream - made for kids but bet would be nice on anyone's dry skin.

"Bio oil"?

E45?

The shea butter lady on Saturdays at Northcross is fantastic, perfect for moisturing your bump. Healthmatters have some good creams too, btu shea butter probably works out cheaper. I used to melt this and then baste myself in it - pretty much worked as my bump got massive but only got a few tiny stretchmarks

I don't think you are being over cautious at all. My friend mixed together a small amount of lavender oil with olive oil for me which was nice in the bath. Now my baby gets small dry skin patches on his feet and wrists and I use olive oil on him, at recommendation of the doctor and it works very quickly.

Hi Bishberro

We sell a wide range of Handmade & Natural Products, including moisturisers. Many of our products contain natural essential oils and organic butters and organic ingredients where possible. Our Bath melts are packed with Shea Butter & Cocoa Butter.

We can order Shea butter on a next days delivery if you need it. We have some in stock, but it is proving to be very popular with the ladies.

You are more than welcome to have a look at our website or pop along and visit us at 165 Lordship Lane, next door to Karavan (police station/ franklin end of the lane). We are open Tuesday - Saturday.

Look forward to seeing you.

www.fortaroma.co.uk

Hello there...

I make handmade bath & body butters, my company is called 'almost edible'...www.almost-edible.co.uk ( currently being updated with the full range of products)-you may have seen me on northcross road or at local craft fairs.I would be more than happy to make you up some whipped shea butter which I can offer free of charge as a tester-I can make it 100% natural and fragrance free or can fragrance it with a 'safe' essential oil or a synthetic fragrance of your choice.

Shea butter has many benefits-from helping with stretch marks,scarring and eczema to being an extremely good moisturiser.

The whipped Shea butter has around 70% Shea butter content-containing no water-with alot of moisturisers water is primary ingredient suprisingly enough.

Feel free to drop me an email on [email protected] or contact me on 078500-568-45

Thanks, Katelin

you will find in the shops c

Plain olive oil can be great on very dry patches (and your bump) if you have 10 minutes to let your skin absorb it before you get dressed again. Definitely no parabens in there, you can even get organic olive oil to be sure it's 100% pure, is still cheaper than many cosmetic alternatives. The shea butter suggestions sound great though!

Hi Bishberro

I've had the same problem as you finding creams that don't contain parabens, etc.

The products at Neil's Yard don't contain any of the nasties and they have a mum to be range which doesn't contain the essential oils which aren't suitable in rpegnancy. Unfortunately the range is quite limited (body balm, bath oil and something else I think) and it's not cheap. I have the body balm (a solidified oil is the best way of describing it) and a little goes a long way, but I only use that on my bump etc and like you am lacking some sort of body lotion.

Out of interest, what face moisturiser are you using - I've struggled to find anything suitable...

I agree with Sanne Panne re olive oil as a good, cheap solution. I also use Bio Oil for my bump, but it's a bit expensive to use as an all-over moisturiser! I found that putting a capful or two of olive oil in the bath works well.

Almond oil! I used it during my pregnancy and today my tummy is as firm as it was before without any stretched mark. It?s (for me) the best and safest way to nourish your skin and has a multitude of benefits. Cacao butter and shea butter are very good too. I?ve copied and past below a part of an article found on internet about its benefits.

Almond oil for the skin

Sweet almond oil is one of the most popular essential oils used in aromatherapy. Pure almond oil can be used as carrier oil in aromatherapy or massage therapy. Almond oil is suitable for any skin type. You do not have to worry how it will react on your skin type. Listed below are benefits of almond oil for the skin. Beautiful skin will be no more just a dream.

? Improves complexion and retains glow

? Moisturises better and deeper

? Soothes skin irritation and inflammation

? Delays ageing process

? Lightens dark circles

? Relieves dry and itching skin

? Nourishes the skin. Makes it smooth and soft

? Cures chapped lips and body rashes

I second Sanne Panne - pure simple olive oil worked best for me with bump no1 (my midwife recommended it), and I dont have any stretch marks and I was maaaaaaaaasive. I am only 16 weeks pregnant now but already look about 7 months and have been using olive oil again. We also use it every night after bathing my son, all over his body, and his skin is beautifully soft.

Having said that I got a full range of MOTHER'S products by Neil's Yard as a good-bye present from work and I fell in love with their bump oil. Probably massaged the bump a few times a day because I loved the smell so much. A bit resistant to buy it now as very pricey, but it can be a nice present suggestion :)

x

to those who use olive oil - doesn't it leave you smelling a bit of salad dressing? Or is there a special kind that you can buy for use on the body that doesn't smell so much? and do you put it on while your skin is still damp after a shower, or on dry skin?

millsa - I too feel huge at 16 weeks pregnant - at this stage last time I had no bump whatsoever, now after a big lunch I feel fit to burst!