Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

Posted by Proj London Health today, 08:44PM ("What's On..." section):

The South London Press will be doing a story about the ECG cycle group this Sunday, can you email anyone you know that wants to do the Jack the Ripper cycle ride (9am at the Texaco garage / Goose Green). I compiled a document which I can email out, but more importantly, the Executive Summary I put together is just so tragic - what a beast he was!

For those Lounge Lizards who do not visit the "What's On..." section but would be interested in taking part in this Jack the Ripper Cycle Ride, more about it can be found here. With the good humoured and motivating Mr. McCabe at the helm, it should be good fun.

I went in the new bike shop on Half Moon Lane in Herne Hill the other day. Bon Velo I think it's called.

Some really nice bikes in there: Orbea racers, but also some spooky looking Euro bikes and a frame/bike building service. Excellent children's bikes too, and lots of good bike p0rn stuff like Brooks leather saddles, minimalist track pumps, retro caps, merino wool socks. Drool.

They do repairs and servicing too.

The people who run it are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Check it out.

Another bike ride which may be of interest - organised by Proj London Health:

London Marathon!

Ever wanted to do the London Marathon but found it too long, or..... you are preparing to do you first London Marathon?

Join us on Sunday 21st November to cover the distance at an easy going pace on mountain / leisure bikes. Meet for 9am at Goose Green Texaco garage. Register with [email protected]

Rendezvous Point: If you have any friends that are interested but don't live in E'Dulwich, the rendezvous point will be Blackheath for 9-45am.

More on Proj London Health's cycling activities may be found in the What's On Section: to view, click here.

What type of leaf was it citizenED? I mean, was it a large leaf (as in Horse Chestnut) or a little leaf (as in Hawthorne)? And was the leaf stalk still attached? Was it complete with vein and a midrib too? Because they really sting!

I remember a relatively small leaf (minus stalk) whacking me in the eye last year...I had to stop cycling...I thought I'd gone blind in one eye! As you say: nice!

Hope you have a better journey tomorrow (though windspeeds are forecast at 16 - they were a mere 9 today:-S).

Taper, I like the sound of those Merino wool socks...will definitely check them out...my toes were freezing today.

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does the law treat killing a cyclist seriously

> enough?

No. I can't remember where I first heard it, but I think this is true: in Britain, if you want to get away with murder, just make sure you get behind a wheel first.

Lorry driver drags cyclists under wheels for a150m then hides bike to cover up collision - 2yrs

Drunk driver, no licence, no insurance - 5yrs

New driver, lied to Police about culpability - 150 hrs COMMUNITY SERVICE!

Hit and run - 5yrs

I've read lots of cases where people have literally gotten away with murder, it's unbelievable, although it doesn't shock me any more.

Pearson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Binary-star,

>

> I didn't want to ask on the othe3r thread. But you

> said you had bought a camera for your ride.

>

> What did you buy, if you don't mind me asking.

>

> I looking to get one myself.

>

> Cheers

> P

It was bought for me: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/at-1-wireless-helmet-cameras.htm

I think it's been discontinued now, from that shop at least. The unit itself feels quite cheap, but the camera is solid and the recording is great in comparison to a lot of youtube clips I've seen!

It doesn't do that weird wavy watery thing that I've noticed other cameras do with movement, but because it's radio frequency you do get fuzzy lines every now and then when there's interferance. In general, it's REALLY good in the day time - get a bit of interferance in the city (probably due to wifi or something) but otherwise is very good. Night time it's not as good, but it still picks up a good picture considering it's not night vision or anything and it's definitely still worth recording the footage. I like it because the recording unit can be paired up with a lot of different cameras, so if I decide to get a higher spec camera at a later date or smash the current one up, I can still use the unit.

For the price it's a damn good camera, especially as it's wireless!

This is some footage (not uploaded by me!) from the same camera where you can see the interferance (this time caused by the motorcycle's engine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc045LDSgos

The quality of the video looks as though it's been compromised a lot by uploading the footage to Youtube because it's actually a lot sharper than that (you can easily make out number plates for example)!

The one that was bought for me was about ?150 at the time, but I think it's been replaced by an HD version, although I can't find it.

binary_star Wrote:

--------------------------------------------------

> Lorry driver drags cyclists under wheels for a150m

> then hides bike to cover up collision - 2yrs

> Drunk driver, no licence, no insurance - 5yrs

> New driver, lied to Police about culpability - 150

> hrs COMMUNITY SERVICE!

> Hit and run - 5yrs

Doesn't seem right - does it?:(

Lady Mock! What an absolute scream you are ! :-)

BritishCycling offers insurance for ?24, this is a good starting point as protection.

Hi Vis, I know its not hip...., but could be the difference between getting to your destination rather than the hospital.

There you are, this is a starting point from the lying Toad! Thank you so much for you tips on the forum.

Best,

McCabe.

Hi Pearson,

Lady Mucks comments above are so true which illustrates a complete injustice - a drunk person with no license / insurance gets 5-years; you know, they are probably out after 18-months.

Between the age of 11 & 18, I've been under wheels, over cars and dragged along a road and many occasions in hospital. Only one of those recieved points - now as a parent, I want to look at the preventative side and to be seen at a great distance. Hi vis isn't hip, but it helps to get you noticed. Insurance is that added protection for the extra legal arm.

McCabe

McCabe.

As a cyclist, I'm interested in how other cyclists deal with daft cylists.

Last Saturday morning, I gave a cylist a complete mouthful as he was trying to cross my path (Crystal Palace Rd crossing ED Rd) when he must have been going through a red light (eastbound along ED Rd). I think I mentioned the word 'tosser' in my shout at him (40s male, well dressed...).

Obviously, most of the time it's daft motorists... but I'd like to address the problem of cyclists who give other cyclists - like me - a bad name.

On a related note, I'm wondering whether to get one of those traditional large honking horns for the handlebars (I have a tiddly bell).