ED pubs not selling traditional bar snacks

Louisa

ahhhhh Pork scratchings. I used to work in a social club where a man used to come round and sell a big bags of proper pork scratching for 50p( you could still see the faint trace of little piggy hairs on some of the scratchings), we also sold pickled eggs served in fairy cake casings (for extra class). Sundays were of course cubes of orange mild cheddar cheese and peanuts on the bar. Crisps were Tudor then the crinkle cut Seabrook crisps. Who could forget the majesty of Frazzles which delivered a bacon-ish taste for at least 3 hours after consumption.... all washed down with Camerons Ruby Red from the local brewery.

I dont live in ED, but it does feel that the pubs have become a little uniform and only want to cater for a certain type which is a great shame.

Walker's were formerly a predominantly midlands based firm - with the factory being based in Leicester. I can remember, right up until the mid 1990's, Golden Wonder being the predominant crisp in London, with most pubs selling Smith's or Tavern Snack varities. I agree with many comments about the uniformity of pubs these days, why would anyone want to go to a pub and munch on a bit of stale Italian bread dipped in posh vinegar and oil with a bottle of crystal to wash it down with? (in areas like ED anyhow). I think the Smith's brand name has been an integral part of the public house institution(in London) anyway since Frank Smith first sold crisps at the pubs of Cricklewood in the 1920's. As for pork scratchings, Mr.Louisa reliably informs me theyve been selling them since 1400 or somewhere in that era. Why should we allow a few gastropubs to destroy those old traditions by forcing us into eating rubbish produce which we get overcharged for (and i'm not even talking about the Walker's crisps here).

Louisa

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And before anyone bothers to post about saveloys,

> what's wrong with pig lips and bottoms?

Well if you are that unfussy, I'm sure you can pick up something matching that description at the Bishop on a Friday night...

The Castle sells Scampi Fries, has a pool table, a dart board and a juke box. Unfortunately this once ubiquous model is a fairly rare one for pubs nowadays.

It's a shame that they have installed so many plasma screens. You would have thought that the one, huge pull down screen would be enough to satisfy even the most dedicated box watcher (but then I have a bit of an issue with TVs in pubs generally).

As well as Scampi Fries, I believe they have Frazzles. They also do cheese sandwiches wrapped in cling film behind the bar. Brillant!

Probably be turned into a bad bar in a few years.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> The Hope on Rye Lane - another "south London"

> boozer that, due to unprecedented lack of demand,

> has closed it's doors (last I heard anyway)

Looks like it is going to be a betting shop.

Talking of old boozers and bar snacks. Does anyone remember the Sailor Prince in Nunhead? Long gone now of course but they used to do fabulous homemade Jamaican patties and had half a dozen real ales on tap including Theakstons Old Peculiar and Fullers ESB. It had a jukebox, a dartboard and a couple of pool tables upstairs. Them was the days I tell thee.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> half a dozen

> real ales on tap including Theakstons Old Peculiar

> and Fullers ESB. It had a jukebox, a dartboard

xxxxxxx

I so wish you hadn't told me all that ......

That would have been my evenings taken care of for ever - assuming the jukebox had decent music, of course :)

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Sue, the jukebox was great. Loads of classic

> reggae tunes and the hits of the day. I am of

> course going back 30 years ago but I spent many an

> enjoyable evening in there sampling all those

> lovely ales. Marvellous.

xxxxxxxxxx

I so so didn't want to know that - oh please, someone, bring back a retro pub with real ales, darts and a juke box .....

Don't care about the pool cos I'm crap at it :))

Mick Mac Wrote:

> SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Couldn?t we just be even more traditional and

> stop

> > women going to pubs altogether?

>

>

> OMG !

I agree with that. How can we possibly get all the housework and cooking done if we are in the pub? Honestly. There's only so many hours in the day.

Edit - I have seen peanuts on sale in ED pubs. They are 'traditional' bar snacks are they not?

The Herne Tavern was a good local pub until the gastro took over with screaming children running around. Good cheap food juke box with all 60 70 80 music. The locals that went in there were like family everyone got on with eachother. We all joined in

with what ever went on.Those were the days. Bar snacks - walkers crisps scampi fries - roast potatoes cheese and biscuits on the bar. Lots of other entertainment such has race nights fancy dress well I could go on for ever. Bring back the good old

local. Pubs are all boring now - there all following each other. Majority of these people who use these gastros now hardly spend any money there glass of tipple is tap water. Bring back the traditional local.