Great Gigs

Keef

It's funny you should say that. I always used to go to the front until. But after the Animal Collective gig a couple of years back I had really bad tinitus as a direct result for about a year, and high frequencies still make a buzzing sound in my ear.

I now stand at the back, which makes drinking beer a lot easier in all fairness.

Ooh, Last Shadow Puppets, good stuff. See you like bands with silly names too!!

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder if Jules is playing with them?

>

> I can't remember which band it was but I heard a

> band stipulated an appearance on his Late Night

> show ONLY providing he did not accompany them on

> piano. ha ha.

Jules doesn't play with Squeeze anymore but his brother does...uncanny

I'm seeing Goldfrapp this evening at some tiny place that I don't know how to get to - should be interesting if I figure out where it is. I saw her once before but only because Antony and the Johnsons were supporting her and I can't get enough of A&tJs.

One of the best gigs I've been to this year was the Metallica album launch last month at the O2. The guys did a really great gig. They charged ?5 a ticket, played a cracking set, and then hung around to sign autographs, shake hands and generally thank the fans for making the album number one. I wish more bands did more for their fans. Because they played in the round it was great being on the arena floor and the views and general closeness were quite something. The only other time I've stood on the arena floor at O2 was for Led Zeppelin (I'm a lucky girl aren't I) when the views weren't so good.

Metallica returns to O2 next year and are again playing in the round. Tickets on sale this Friday but If you're on the O2 network text METAL to 2402 and buy yours a day early. Try and get arena floor standing though because it's great down there. I bought mine yesterday but the standing allocation I bought from sold out in minutes.

One negative about the Metallica gig was just how downright horrible the O2 staff were to fans on the arena floor (one notable exception of an extremely nice lady with a long pony tail and a big smile for everyone - you know who you are lady!). It's true to say that I'm a genre whore and I'm as happy in the Crush Bar at the Royal Opera House as I am in any mosh pit, and in my wide experience there is no nicer, more obliging fan, than a metal fan. They are good people. It was sad to see their night out being pissed on by bad-attitude staff. I hope O2 isn't going to way of Brixton Academy, which only seems to employ dragons and demons. I won't even go to Brixton unless it's a band I really can't live without seeing, I would rather travel half way across London to go somewhere that the staff actually respect the patrons (The Roundhouse/Shepherds Bush Empire).

Rant over - go see Metallica - a bit of headbanging will clear away the cobwebs.

Goldfrapp was very much the singing pixie. Very mellow and magical. Mesmerising really. Which is very nice, but not really to my taste. I'm not often mellow. The venue was very difficult to find but the funny thing was that there were so many of us looking for us that we all strung together and arrived in a big group. Even then we had to circle it twice to find the way in. The building was lit up blue from inside and I wish they had put "look for the building lit up blue" on the tickets - it would have made the journey easier, if less fun. Definitely 10/10 for ambience though. If you want to see how beautiful the whole thing looked ....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJKDeVAWk0

Can't praise BBC Electric Proms highly enough; they put different elements together so, for me, I go and see things that I wouldn't normally. Tonight I'm going to Oasis at the Roundhouse. I'm NOT the biggest Oasis fan on the planet so I don't know how that will go - I guess I'll let you know.

Oasis Roundhouse review as follows....

Whatever

Highlights of evening

Getting a peppermint Aero on the way home

Seeing Russell Brand in the bar looking quite hot (never got what the fuss was about before but he was looking fit)

Being home before midnight

Regarding Victoria Apollo .... this is a huge theatre so may I recommend that you check your seats on www.theatremonkey.co.uk before you book. My advice is to aim for the stalls in the central block. Be careful you don't get stuck at the extreme sides of the theatre as these are a bit out of it.

David,

I think the circle is OK. It's important to be centrally placed in the circle and not off to one side. When I checked earlier today the Ticketmaster seats being offered were fairly centrally located - so I would go for it. Check on www.theatremonkey.co.uk before buying. Theatremonkey has THE best seating plans so I always go there before buying.

Not a gig as such, but I went to the Gang Show at the Groucho Club last weekend. It's a charity event where various slebs do a turn. Ben Miller from Miller and Armstrong sung a Queen number very well. Tony Christie did a turn or two. Nick Heyward from Haircut 100 did Love Plus one which was brill and too many more to mention. Fab night and well worth the ?40.

Here are two great gigs (I think) you might like to consider going to:

Elbow at the Dome in Brighton, Saturday 28th Feb. The Dome is a lovely venue (screw Wembley!). Book direct and don't pay booking fees

http://www.brightondome.org/

The Who at Indigo2 on Wednesday 17th December. This is a tiny venue for a big band. Indigo2 is the small venue within the O2 complex. I haven't been to it yet so I don't know what it's like. You can book for this one now at Ticketmaster but be quick. They are also playing the Sunday night at Indigo but that was a fan-only gig and sold out immediately. Nobody knows about the 17th yet and it will sell out once it gets some publicity.