Great Gigs

Keef

Guys,

Chris Blackwell's fabulous Island Records is about to turn 50 and there are going to be some celebratory gigs: Amy Winehouse, Sly & Robbie, Weller, Cat Stevens, Ladyhawk, blah blah blah. Anyway, here is some more info and if you pre-register you'll be sent more details and a pre-sale:

http://www.island50.com/news/#news20

Remember, if you're buying tickets for Shepherds Bush Empire, try and go for Level One.

went to see Imelda May at Koko last Thursday... she was AMAZING, she's just been signed by Universal and is rocketing..

she's playing at Shepherds Bush Empire in October...

http://www.seetickets.com/see/event.asp?e%7Cartist=IMELDA+MAY&n%7Cartist=null&dateonsalefrom=06/03/2009&dateonsaleto=04/09/2009&resultsperpage=20&filler1=see&filler2=newlist&filler3=id1nme&orderby=

file.php?20,file=3622

Michael Jackson fans looking for tickets need to get hold of an O2 phone and text "Jackson" to 2402. You will receive a personalised password which you can use to buy tickets in the presale tomorrow morning (11th March) at 7am (yes, 7am).

http://www.o2blueroom.co.uk/Portal/Pages/Home.aspx

If you are allocated seats in Level 4 then my best advice is - WALK AWAY. Honestly, it's not worth it. I personally think that the proposed 10 dates will expand to up to 30 nights. If you want to see the Man then get in and fight for your Level 1 or Arena Floor seats tomorrow morning. Good luck.

I'm not a fan but to each their own. I'll be posting U2 pre-sale info as soon as it's available, but let's keep that between us (don't tell the I H8 Bono forumites). Our little secret. Shhh.

• 2 weeks later...

This evening I saw Mick Jones play an excellent acoustic set. It were reet good.

I can't tell you where for fear of a Louisa / Snorky double lynching. But I came away with some free shampoo and some stockings, so that was a bonus.

Spiritualized at the Festival Hall in October and selling out really really fast. Buy direct (no booking fees).

www.southbankcentre.co.uk

Best to get box seats or side stall seats rather than rear stalls or balcony, which are a long way from the stage.

Van Der Graff Generator at Leicester DeMontfort Hall three and a half/ four years ago .... effing brilliant

also the Peter Hammill gig at The Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank about four/four and a half, I dunno , years ago .... their is a tune called Still Life .... H did it for an encore ,the song starts with unacompanied vocal then the piano comes in after so many bars , then the drums , then the sax ... each member of Van Der Graff walks onstage and joins in .... ten minute standing ovation , grown men in tears etc

loong time ago i took the train to london and saw john martyn at the marquee club. the audience was sitting on the floor, on that foul carpet they used to have in there wardour street. was really smokey in there. major ganja. was a great concert. I returned home totally martynanised. so that must have been 1976.Tonight on telly they did a bit of a tribute to him, re_showing that docu of him pre leg chop. Then they showed a short concert of him, around the time I saw him. Im thinking, yep that marquee club night is probably the best thing I ever saw. Ive seen iggy pop with the horses tail at the music machine, ive seen bowie,prince james brown birthday party, suicide, some of the fullest on people you could see, ruts, motoorhead, specails, early sabbath, loads, you name it, but john martyn solo 70's took the biscuit folks. r.i.p. just saying.

Sean - yes I think they enjoy more success in Europe than they do in the UK. They are a band that I just don't get though. If you think I should give them another hearing then post a youtube link to something that you rate and I'll have a listen when I get home tonight.

In the meantime, their London gigs sell out astonishingly quickly so please use the presale link above if you want tickets. They are playing O2 in December. I know I sound like a broken record but .... PLEASE DONT' BUY SEATS ON LEVEL 4 AT THE O2. You need arena floor or Level One.

Oh, and The Prodigy are playing Brixton on Saturday 16th April. I love the new CD. Here you go.... presale

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&event=317149&interface=o2priority&referral_id=tw_uk_buyat

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How was Anthony btw, giggirl?

It was a bit frustrating to be honest Sean. His set was only 40 minutes long because there were two support acts (including Florence and the Machine, who seemed a little overwhelmed to be playing the RAH). To my mind, by the time Antony warmed up and really started to engage with the audience, it was all over. He looked a bit frustrated at the end so I think he felt the same way. I think the RAH had had some technical difficulties earlier in the night so he was a bit late on. Also, his piano was at a strange angle and the stage was badly lit so he wasn't easy to see. We were sitting in the middle of row 4 on the arena floor so it's no mean feat to not be able to see clearly from there! The person I went with hadn't seen him before and she found him enchanting, but I would have preferred him to have played for longer than 40 minutes!

Don't know if anyone is a fan but the wonderful Mr Jonathan Richman, accompanied by his drummer Mr Tommy Larkins begins a four night London tour on Saturday, starting at Bush Hall (a great little venue). He's then at Hoxton Square Bar on Sunday, Dingwalls Monday and the Borderline Tuesday.

He's a great live performer, funny, sad, and life affirming. Here he is doing "I was dancing in the Lesbian bar"

My three top gigs were all at London Astoria (RIP) - can't remember the exact years but I think between 1988 and 1991:

Sub Pop triple bill - Nirvana, Mudhoney, Tad (the occasion of my one and only stage dive!)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - saw them quite a few times around the time they released "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and this was the best, they were such fun to dance to

Jane's Addiction - totally awesome, couldn't believe a band of four could produce such a huge noise. I wonder if they'll come to play in the UK again now they've reformed with the original line-up?