> mrs.lotte Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > too shallow for serious swimmers.

>

> I still don't get it.

>

> Surely if they are that "serious" then they won't

> need to stand up, so the depth is irrelevant.

Roll turns? (or whatever they are called?)

Lovely new building.

But unfortunately:

Last night the queue at 6.30 - 7.00 was huge.

With 1 person trying in vain to cope.

Despite several other members of staff milling around

in & out of the back office, trying (& succeeding)to NOT serve customers.

There seemed to be confusion about the "Quota" allowed into the pool at any one time

with people only being allowed in in batches & as for the gym .....

one small room with @ 20% of the previous equipment but no quota or head count system,

resulting in a mobbed room with several people queueing to get on the few machines. Not good!

The pool may be cold, which can I'm sure be cured.

But

the gym is a joke & unless you can attend at very very quiet times, looks like it will be best avoided

for the next 6 mths.

I asked for a refund last night & left. Very disappointed.

Think I'll give Seven Islands a try. (Also a much better pool for swimming in case anybody interested.)

Not tried the new pool yet.

Does not sound very inviting.

With reduced water depth, should be cheaper to heat.

When people see a sign saying Deep End, they assume it is deep 8-12ft in old money.

Whether or not diving is permited, someone will enevitably dive in.

There is a serious risk, someone will hurt themselves.

Take away the "deep end" sign, clearly signal the depth of the pool. Then if someone dives in and hits their head, it's their own fault.

The tumble-turn argument is not valid, as they are always performed at both ends of the pool - so clearly not dependant on deep water.

What are people planning to do about their gym membership fees?

My husband is lucky to be able to use the gym during quiet periods when most people are at work but he could not go on all the machines he wanted to use this afternoon. So he wants a refund or reduced fees at the very least.

Only Me! when you said "I asked for a refund last night & left. Very disappointed." - what did they say? Was it just a refund for last night's session?

The feedback I've had from head of leisure is the newly reopened Dulwich Pool is at the following temperatures:

Male change 21c

Female change 21c

Family change 22c

Poolside 29c

Pool water 28c

Looking around the web suggests for excercise swimming pools 27-29.5c with the ambient temperature 1c higher - not just for comfort but to avoid condensation.

Apparently Dulwich College pool 28c today but I thought Dulwich College pupils are 13-18 probably expected to swim athletically.

Peckham Pulse apparently varies between 28c-29c but normally 28c.

The following website seems authoritative:

http://www.caromal.co.uk/Resource%20Page%201.htm

It states:

Recommended Maximum Pool Water Temperatures

Competitive swimming & diving, Fitness swimming, Training . . 27 deg C - (80.6 deg F)

Recreational, Adult teaching, Conventional main pools . . . . 28 deg C - (82.4 deg F)

Childrens teaching, Leisure pools . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29 deg C - (84.2 deg F)

Babies, Young children, Disabled & handicapped. . . . . . . .30 deg C - (86.0 deg F)

So my overall conclusion is Dulwich Pool needs to be 0.5c->1c warmer and the corresponding air temperature higher.

However, first few hours 6.30-8.30am and 7pm-9pm could potentially be kept at the current temperature when adults swimming lanes.

I've requested they try 0.5c higher and gauge peoples reactions.

I thought it might be a nice touch to give people a bead or somthing similar and have three perspex boxes so users can place bead in cold, hot, just right boxes. that way most people will comment publicly.

Until this is agreed I would'nt dream of taking my kids to this pool.

> I thought it might be a nice touch to give people

> a bead or somthing similar and have three perspex

> boxes so users can place bead in cold, hot, just

> right boxes. that way most people will comment

> publicly.

>

>

I humbly request a 'bloody freezing' box. And one for the changing rooms as well.

And a thermometer to check it.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The feedback I've had from head of leisure is the

> newly reopened Dulwich Pool is at the following

> temperatures:

> Male change 21c

> Female change 21c

> Family change 22c

> Poolside 29c

> Pool water 28c

>

> Looking around the web suggests for excercise

> swimming pools 27-29.5c with the ambient

> temperature 1c higher - not just for comfort but

> to avoid condensation.

>

> Apparently Dulwich College pool 28c today but I

> thought Dulwich College pupils are 13-18 probably

> expected to swim athletically.

We swim at dulwich college and it's comfortable, not as people are describing the new dulwich pool

James, can you find out what discussion there was, prior to deciding not to have a softplay? i am sure i am not the only one who requested one in the consultation. bit of an opportunity missed there.

James - Does the agreement to raise the temperature also stretch to the air temp? 21/22C is way too cold for me to even consider taking the kids. Also, I don't mean to sound awkward, but doesn't the manager of the centre try out their facilities? Why does it take a furious reaction from the public to get anyone to do anything in this fucking country?

Hi TJ,

The pool temperature increase would have a coresponding pool air temperature increase. Good practice says the air temperature around the pool should be 1c higher.

Changing room temperature. That is tricky. I've not found any recommendations fo what that should be and its currentl;y shared with gym users while that part of the centre is rebuilt/renovated.

The amount on whinging on this thread is amazing. When we had a new baby recently we kept our bedroom temperature at 18 degrees - 21/22 is plenty warm enough for a changing.

And surely the pool was previously at the best practice temperature, 28 degrees which is for "Recreational, Adult teaching, Conventional main pools" as per James' post above (which I note gives maximums)?

Hi James and thank you for letting us know : )

What I think is that the thermometer is actually not right, as you said Peckham Pulse heats the main pool at 28?C and you are not in shock when you get in, as you do in Dulwich baths..

I suggest they change their thermometer !!

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh, good grief! 21C too 'cold'? What rot. Butch up

> a bit, mate! Sheesh.

> Over-heated pools and changing rooms are

> uncomfortable and wasteful, of money and

> electricity.

Actually, water below 29 degrees can be dangerous for babies who lose heat very quickly

Having a proper swim in an overwarm pool is dreadful - you just don't feel refreshed. It would seem that the problem is that there is no temperature that will suit people who want a vigorous aerobic swim, which will also suit children. It does seem a shame that there is no separate 'mother and baby pool' with a warmer temperature.

I haven't been to the pool yet, but I really hope these are just teething problems, because I've been looking forward to it re-opening and planning to start using it regluarly.

Reading everyones' comments about the temperature it seems to me that someone needs to establish of the pool really is the temperature it says it is, because the pool being 28 degrees and some people thinking that's too cold is one kind of problem, and the pool saying it's 28 degrees and actually being a lot colder is another kind of problem, if you see what I mean.