I say southwark - fortnightly bin collections

We're part of the pilot.

I guess the assumption is that that if you've removed all recyclable paper, magazines, cardboard, cans, bottles, jars, plastics - and all food waste - from what would previously have gone into your giant green wheeliebin, then what exactly would you have left to fill it with - in a fortnight?

Maybe we will fill it - and then we'll object. I dunno yet. It will be interesting to see.

Contrary to the above posts, I'm all for the pilot scheme. We are a family of four and our green bin is never more than a third full and we have a worm bin for our peelings. I have no problem in collecting food waste separately with the brown bin and blue box being emptied once a week and the green bin once a fortnight. I really hope the pilot is a success and hope that it will make it easier for us all to be a bit greener.

I agree with MrsP. We're also a family of 4, our green bin is never full on collection day. We have a kitchen waste disposal unit which deals with most of our food waste, and it's not a bother to put the other bits and pieces in the bags the council have supplied.

We're lucky to have such a comprehensive recycling scheme in our area, well done Southwark!

I hope that we can be fitted with a lock on our cupboard as we seem to get everyones rubbish dumped in our bins. We have recycle bins at the back, my problem is that we get other peoples rubbish dumped on us, because they dont want to recycle. I even caught the Councils own bulk waste collector dumping cardboard and plastic bags in our shed, which had been collected from elsewhere and offloaded on us. I told him not to do it again, we are not allowed to put our own lock on and the Council wont put one on for us :(

A '6 month pilot' scheme involving 10,000 homes in Southwark starts on Monday 4 October. The pilot involves adding organic waste i.e. food to the weekly recycling collections via 240L, 23L and caddy brown bins and also biodegradeable plastic bags. For non recycling rubbish collections will become fortnightly. This is a big emotive change and frankly looks botched due to ridiculous timescales.

The concept is great - we all want to see great recycling but the execution for this pilot is very weak.

The pilot was announced about 6 weeks ago and it has been really difficult to get information. I've repeatedly requested a precise list of which properties are in the pilot and this si still not available.

Those homes in the pilot should have received a non addressed letter a month ago and another leaflet this week. Hopefully you didn?t miss it!

Only 'easy' properties are included - so we have a pilot designed to learn next to nothing as it doesn't attempt to try this extra recycling at properties with less space for extra bins.

Clearly many will be surprised come Monday with the letter and leaflet being lost in the general masses of junk mail/leaflets we all receive. To confirm if you?re in or out of the scheme you can call 020 7525 2000 - I was assured people could check this via the web but this is still not up and running.

East Dulwich ward street that have properties in the pilot are - Barry Road, Crebor Street, Dunstans Road, East Dulwich Road, Etherow Street, Friern Road, Norcroft Gardens and Upland Road.

For those that are in the scheme not all homes on a street are necessarily in the pilot - if council officers felt insufficient room to store a brown bin then you?re not included. So you can expect neighbouring properties to have either weekly or fortnightly ?residial ? rubbish collections - you?ll need to pay close attention!

If you have any problems please let me know and I?ll try and help.

PS. I've attached a photo of the 23L brown bin, the kitchen caddy and biodegradeable bags.

we are in upland road and havent recieved a "food waste" little bin. I found a "medium" sized one one oout the front of our house.

Im all for recycling and sorting out waste but isnt this getting a bit daft? I see the paper recycling bags flapping around on the streets/pavements. the usual recycling boxes, the wheelie bins for i suppose general waste a food caddy and a medium sized bin for garden waste and food?

Hi Peckhamgatecrasher,

Council officers anticipate each home typically needing 100 of th e biodegradeable bags during the 6 month pilot. 50 were meant ot be delivered with the leaflet this week and another 50 in 3 months time. Worrying you've received a triple dose but perhaps they think you have a big family.

Would recommend food in the bags then in the brown bins else your brown bins will quickly get smelly.

One central gov't recommendation when introducing these schemes is to start them going into winter to reduce initial smells. Eitherway, good habit to use the bags.

james.