Iceland eyesore

sallyw

Hehehe, no don't worry at all, I realised that after I wrote it!

Quinoa rocks- It's relatively cheap, goes with almost anything, actually tastes nice, takes 10 mins to cook, AND it's good for you :)

And THANK GOODNESS ED hasn't become trendified! It will just bring pretentious narcissists into the area, ruining the lovely community feel here. Have you seen the the youtube video called 'Being a dickhead's cool'? it's hilarious, and completely spot on when it comes to the East London trendies. Give me cosy and suburban anyday >:D<

Have lived all over East London both North and South, and spent the last two years in Forest Hill and Sydenham before moving to ED. I really do love South East London so if it is a choice between a Waitrose and the community feel of ED, thebestnameshavegone, I can do without Waitrose.

However, can someone please sort the music out in Morrisons!

Tibbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I would rather buy fresh organic

> wholesome foods and cook meals from scratch

> especially as I have 3 young boys to feed and my

> husband.... I shop for what is on offer and plan my menu round

> that ......

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You don't have a paid job then, I guess, if you have time to do all this? If you do, respect, but give a thought to those who would find it too difficult to fit it all in.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is not about

> snobbery it is about quality, most of the food in

> Iceland is shocking,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Things like Iceland's frozen vegetables and bags of prawns or plain white frozen fish seem perfectly fine to me, and very good value.

I understand that because frozen vegetables are frozen soon after they are picked, they retain their nutrients longer than so-called fresh vegetables do.

I have also had yoghurt, cottage cheese and mature cheddar cheese from Iceland which have appeared to be no different to anything I'd buy anywhere else.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely people who buy ready meals do so either because they have no time to cook, because they're too tired to cook after work, or because they've never been taught to cook. Or because a ready meal is cheaper than buying all the individual ingredients, particularly if you live on your own and want to avoid waste.

I cook soups/ stews/ bolognese and pies and stuff like that from scratch and then freeze them....and it takes a whole day every two weeks to do that and you have to be pretty disciplined about it. Once done though, it doesn't take long each evening to have a really good meal...so definitely worth doing.

The snobbery associated with the dislike of Iceland is comical. I'd like to remind the Claphamite brigade that there is an Iceland store in Clapham, so even when heaven and earth merge and you guys finally find yourselves in a position to be able to afford to live in such a 'snazzy' neighbourhood.. unfortunately you wont be able to escape your old foe.

Louisa.

regards food from iceland: the mature cheddar is not a good mature cheddar compared to say sainsburys mature cheddar. it's mild really and not got the taste of a properly matured cheese.

i bought my frozen veg in there for a while, but now only peas as actually the sweetcorn wasn't as good quality.

this is just from shopping around and looking for a compromise between quality and cost.

as i have said before i don't care that there's an iceland but i do care about the snobbery and inverted snobbery on this site. it's no less galling to be told that you're posh than you are cheap. there's place for both waitrose and iceland, that's real choice. not one OR the other. but the neighbourhood certainly doesn't need another supermarket.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Narnia, just for you.

>

> Print it out, try and learn ten acronyms a day.

> We'll be having a test at the end of the week.

> Anyone who doesn't pass will stay down a year.

Thanks Hughie. This is the death knell of the English Language in so far as I know it. Once pronunciation is agreed I wont understand anyone as I'm not planning on learning that list. YMBJ.

plimsoul Wrote:

> regards food from iceland: the mature cheddar is

> not a good mature cheddar compared to say

> sainsburys mature cheddar. it's mild really and

> not got the taste of a properly matured cheese.

xxxxxxxx

The mature cheddar I had from Iceland was not mild at all, it was very good.

I haven't had it lately, maybe they've changed their supplier.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Why do we need Waitrose when The Co-op are

> charging ?4.00 for 150gms of Blueberries.

xxxxxxxxx

They were ?2 for ages.

Maybe they are charging ?4 so that they can then truthfully say that ?2 is "half price".

They did that recently with bog rolls.

Very annoying, but all the supermarkets seem to do it. They must think we're all idiots :))

Every year, the strawberries are "half price" all Summer :))

• 10 months later...

Greengod Wrote:

> Have you seen the Little Waitrose's in Holborn and

> Tottenham Court Road, Iceland is the perfect size

> for one

I'm sure Iceland is the perfect size for a lot of things - how about a 99p shop :))

Sue Wrote:

> Greengod Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Have you seen the Little Waitrose's in Holborn

> and

> > Tottenham Court Road, Iceland is the perfect

> size

> > for one

>

>

> I'm sure Iceland is the perfect size for a lot of

> things - how about a 99p shop :))

YES... I can see it now..

NEW .99p Shop Opens in East Dulwich

Everything... 4.99

Foxy ;-)

It is a pretty ugly looking building though isn't it, Iceland I mean. Just not pleasing on the eye. I have never been in so can't comment beyond that. I still think Iceland is the shop for people with chest freezers. I haven't got one. Looks busy enough in terms of customers so obviously still lots of people that do. And then the Police station is also tremendously ugly. I think Roy Strong, Kevin McCloud and Alain de Botton would all have a convincing argument to say that Lordship Lane would benefit from a redevelopment of both of those buildings and improve place-making. Taking a value-led appraisal though for me it would be to demolish Foxtons and Jo-Jo Maman Bebe (is that what its called?). Both vile but in different polarities. But that's my prejudice. I would also really like a Waitrose as I like their food, appreciate their stock control and staff training practices and the ones at Tower Bridge or Beckenham are a bit of hike really. But worth it if you can be bothered with the journey.