Syringe Exchange/Methadone Services: Crystal Palace Rd

BARA

Wow, isn't she a hero! "Thanks to MY early intervention"... Self satisfied Moi?

So can someone clear this up. There is definitely going to be NO SYRINGE EXCHANGE, but there is still an applicaiton for a late pharmacy?

What do people think then? I think it's great, and bugger the people that don't want some competition.

1 The DMC (in the person of Dr Jane Fryer at BARA's meeting) has said itself that is has no plans to develop drug user sevices and, importantly, that there is no need for them

2. People got hold of the needle exchange idea when the plans for the 7-11 pharmacy became known.

3. If the PCT had consulted about the precise nature of the application then that confusion could have been avoided.

BARA, I think you have to explain your original post in the light of this?

The pharmacy will be a ?100 hour pharmacy?, hours likely to be 7.00 AM to 11.00PM, 7 days a week. Services will include a needle exchange service and possible supervised methadone consumption for drug addicts, e.g. heroin addicts (the methadone service may be available immediately or at a later date).

Where did this information come from?

That is the information I have from the PCT.

The PCT has said categorically that it does not intend to commission any drug related services as there is no need for an extension of these services in the area. The PCT will consider the application at its November vacancy panel along with feedback from local pharmacies and any other submissions received.

Well I for one will.

Oh no ... wait a minute ...

Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.

Voted strongly against investigating the Iraq war.

Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.

Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.

Voted moderately against a transparent Parliament.

Voted moderately for introducing ID cards.

Voted very strongly for introducing student top-up fees.

Sorry ... back on topic ...

In reply to Ted Max question re needle exchange etc. Those of you who were at the BARA meeting would have seen on display a copy of the letter that PCT sent out to the Local Pharmacists etc - a copy of this was sent to BARA on request by Rose at PCT. The letter was also read out at the start of the BARA meeting - listing all the groups that PCT should have consulted.It was the PCT who informed us via this letter that in order to have a pharmacy in an area which does not have a need for pharmacies, that it has to agree to provide other services i.e. needle/possible methadone consumption (supervised)

There are various local groups (PTAs/child care providers/tenants/residents associations/pharmacists) who are also involved in this action and have organised stalls in the shopping areas and petitions.

Going back to another point, it is normal for BARA to invite the local safer neighbourhood police team to our general and social events.A verbal invite was made on Sunday 23rd Sept to a local beat officer, this was then followed several days later by an e mail to the East Dulwich SNO. The community centre building is owned by southwark council and has certain conditions relating to the number of people allowed on the premises and for what purpose. The Police Officer present on the night only had intentions of staying a short while, then leaving if all was satisfactory but became interested in the discussions, we later discovered that he should have gone off duty earlier that evening.Had a very large number of people turned up at the centre, we may have exceeded our permitted numbers and would have been in the difficult position of having to refuse people entry - the police presence would have helped in this aspect. The meeting was advertised within our catchment area and to our members as a General Meeting - it was publicised by the press as a Public Meeting.

BARA if I live in your catchment area, suffer from some form of addiction would I be able to join your association ?

I read an article recently about some local community groups in a number of European Countries who ran there own needle exchange services. They recieved funding from local government and obviously the benefits worked both ways. The community became more informed about addiction and therefore were less afraid of the issues at stake. Do you think that this is something that you may look into? it would be an interesting outcome to all this debate would it not?

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Which other medical practice does ~on-site~

> dispensing?

>

> Given the choice I would prefer to stay on-site

> and collect my prescription rather than walk the

> streets of East Dulwich to find a dispensing

> chemist that is open after 6pm.

Maceys is oopen till 7.30pm, I believe. I don't know why it's getting bad press.

When I needed an emergency prescription, the oncall doc phoned it through to Maceys and my partner collected it without me even needing to get out of bed.

As a shop, Maceys is great for baby stuff and natural cleaning products, also handy for people with buggies and elderly people and they have seating. I'm not in favour of anything that drives out of business the useful shops in E Dulwich. There are enough expensive gift shops and boutiques on Northcross Rd already. For a lot of people, traipsing up the DMC would be just too far, when you can arrange for repeat prescriptions to be at Maceys without needing to go to the docs.

> Maceys is oopen till 7.30pm, I believe.

Unfortunately my human frailties don't turn off at 7:30pm in accordance with Maceys' timetable.

The offer of an on-site 100 hours pharmacy (14 hours per day) is wonderful.

If DMC get permission and it is a success they could start working towards a 24/7 integrated service.

The DMC site has room for a team of NHS dentists to.

This is the way forward for 21st century provision.

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Maceys is oopen till 7.30pm, I believe.

>

> Unfortunately my human frailties don't turn off at

> 7:30pm in accordance with Maceys' timetable.

>

>

I was responding to your words "> Given the choice I would prefer to stay on-site

> and collect my prescription rather than walk the

> streets of East Dulwich to find a dispensing

> chemist that is open after 6pm. "

As the doctors finish at 6, there's plenty of time to get to Maceys for 7.30.

There are occasions that one needs an emergency doctor and prescription totally out of hours, admittedly. But that's not what you were talking about.

The statement from the PCT reads:

[quote name=Mediquick have now withdrawn their application to open a 100-hours pharmacy on the Dulwich Medical Centre site in Crystal Palace Road' date=' East Dulwich.

This decision has been taken in conjunction with Dulwich Medical Centre in response to feedback from the local community.

Dr Jane Fryer, Medical Director, Southwark Primary Care Trust said: "We are delighted that other established community pharmacies in the area have indicated their willingness to open longer hours to meet the needs of the local community."

Ends]

Tessa Jowell MP