Any advice on highchairs?

Knomester

We're looking to buy a highchair for Baby Knomester - he doesn't need it just yet, but thought there may be some reductions in the sales.

I'd be really grateful for any views on what we should be looking for... Stand alone v one that attaches to a chair, with a tray v one that pushes right up to the table, things to look out for, etc, etc

I can really really really recommend one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster/dp/B002YK2WMI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293797315&sr=1-3

It is AMAZING. Honestly, it is probably the best thing that we have bought since having a baby. It fits onto pretty much any chair, is really easy to take places with you, really easy to clean - you just wipe and the tray can go in the dishwasher if you want.

We are doing baby-led weaning with our daughter, and it is also perfect for that as the tray is a really manageable size to act as an eating tray.

I love love love it! It is also so space economical - goes on a normal chair, easy to throw in the car/boot/footwell.

It really depends whether you are looking long term or short term, and what your style is. The Tripp trapp http://www.backinaction.co.uk/tripptrapp

just goes on being a useful seat right through life. It's versatile, adjustable, nice to look at, and ( speaking as a teacher) one important advantage is that your child can sit at the table at right height when doing activities, homework etc for years after.

For a basic high chair, the IKEA one is a good short term solution, as is the lovely Baby Bjorn - very stylish in a white kitchen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BabyBjorn-067021-Appetite-Highchair-White/dp/B003CFATG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1293799641&sr=1-1

Spoilt for choice? Good luck!

We have a Little Helper FunPod Highchair

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41I02sfDstL._SS400_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CF3WKAPVL._SS400_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bHd5YJFqL._SS400_.jpg

Not cheap at about ?130, but it's great. Chair can be lifted out, and used as a chair on the ground, and when baby is bigger, they can stand in the big part of it, and do things on the kitchen worktops, like painting, until they're about 5 years old.

Would definitely recommend.

We bought a stokke based on everyones recommendations but then bought an antilop for our nanny share which we've ended up using instead as my daughter seems to prefer it and to be honest it seems more practical. We have the funpod as well that keef posted (although without the high chair bit) and it is fab - has been so useful.

We love love love our Tripp Trapp. Great for smaller kitchens as you push it under the table and it's height adjustable so from 6 months your little one can eat with you and see everyone. We found at 6 monhs our daughter looked a bit lost in the ones with the big trays.

Like the look of the fun pod though...

We got an Oxo Sprout and love it tho they are expensive (200 from john lewis) - sooo glad we didn't go for a wooden one (formerly my favourite) as he has decided it is great fun to bang his head against the back when he has had enough food! Plus you can use them from 6 months til around 5 yrs old, so you get your moneysworth :)

I would make sure you get one that is going to fit your baby for a while. My son is on the 98th growth line and he was too big for the ikea chair, all the basic chairs that are suitable up til 15kg. He is 15 kg now at 20 months. We have a fisher price highchair which was the only one we could find that was under ?100 and takes children up to 22kg. It is great.

Another vote for the Tripp Trapp. Daughter has been in it constantly since 6 months (she's now 3yrs). Brilliantly adjustable, not unattractive, will fit her until she's had enough - quite often I find myself sitting on it, it's so comfortable. Her baby brother was born on Christmas Eve and she's already stated he'll have to have his own chair when the time comes!

We also have a travel highchair which we love Fisher Price portable highchair

Cheap, easy to clean, fits all chairs. I tried a few of the material/canvas ones that attach to tables etc, but just never felt they were as safe - just my personal opinion though as I know lots of parents love them, they just weren't for me.

I'm not recommendaing a brand in particular as it depends what you're after. But personally I ended up getting a second one because the height didn't adjust on the 1st which meant I couldn't push it under my table and took up loads of space, it was also a material fabric...not ideal! Someone mentioned headbanging which is pretty common so I'd also avoid a wooden one for that reason and go for something softer and wipe-clean with an adjustable height and reclining seat for when they might nod off while you're faffing in the kitchen. I don't think you need to overboard though at the end of the day, certainly wouldn't spend hundreds!

• 1 month later...
In my experience the baby set is enough. I started off using the cushions but they ended up getting so dirty I took them off and never put them back again! When your baby first uses it you may need to stuff some towels or something around him/her but once they are confidently sitting they are fine without cushions.

We bought the cushions to go with the baby set. Nor sure if they're strictly necessary but they make it look much more comfortable and provide extra padding for younger/smaller babies. We still use the bottom cushion now at 2 yrs. They do get pretty dirty though...

My daughter used the cushions with the first baby, but not the second...

Do read the notes on http://www.backinaction.co.uk/tripptrapp (the Back in Action site - a really good company to buy from ), especially if you are buying a second hand chair:

IMPORTANT: If your Tripp Trapp Baby Set pre-dates 2008; the latest cushion sets don't fit the high backed wooden babysets that were sold in 2007 and earlier. You can however fit the latest cushion sets to any Tripp Trapp for children above 18months (i.e. after the baby set is removed.)

the nappy is all the cushion that they need ;) as above ours got filthy...

tripp trapp all the way:

they look great

they grow with your kids

from the off your children are sat at the table

they tuck under the table

my 2 are 5 now and it means that they are sat at the table at the right height which is good for posture and also means no annoying boosters. that's 4 years use for ?120 initial outlay...

I got a concord spin because it folds up very small and I liked the way it looks, but I never acutally bother folding it up, it's fiddly to clean, there is no lip on the tray so finger food goes straight on the floor and it was pretty expensive. I would second tripp trapp if going expensive, friends who have them love them, they look great and are long lasting. Otherwise go for the cheap Ikea option as previously suggested.