David Beckham - The most over rated of men

Mick Mac

"What the statesman is most anxious to produce is a certain moral character in his fellow citizens, namely a disposition to virtue and the performance of virtuous actions,* though caution when slipping one into the odd assistant, even though the missus isn't looking ."

Aristotle ?

I'm not so concerned about the whole statesman thing, after all what are we looking for, a saint ?

Golden balls Beckham is OK in my book & at least he hasn't squandered talent or opportunity

;-)

A.C

* added extra

Hugenuts you're really being a terrible bore. I saw him play live just the once. At White Hart Lane where he scored that sublime goal where he chipped the Spurs defence and our keeper Pat Jennings from just inside the box. Even as a Spurs fan you had to admire and applaud such great skill. Up until then, no one had ever done anything like that before.

What's more I remember very well watching him regularly on MOTD and On The Ball and the time he terrorised Scotland in the Home Internationals, the time he whipped the ball out of Gordon Banks in mid-air and "scored". And remember clearly watching the European Cup final of '68 aged ten when he rounded the keeper to score and ended up 5-1 winners. We're not all young bucks like you you know. Some of us are a little more mature in years and haven't quite gone senile yet.

Thats brilliant. LOL Declan. Poor Jah having to own up to that.......but other than that I enjoyed jahs post.

I definately saw him play for tobermore against ballymena in the very early 1980s when George was doing a game at a time for a match fee. Not at his best but I can at least say I saw him play a competitive match.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thats brilliant. LOL Declan. Poor Jah having to

> own up to that.......but other than that I enjoyed

> jahs post.

>

> I definately saw him play for tobermore against

> ballymena in the very early 1980s when George was

> doing a game at a time for a match fee. Not at his

> best but I can at least say I saw him play a

> competitive match.

For a bit of personal nostalgia I have just found this report:

The day Best played in Ballymena for Tobermore United - 1984

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Bloody hell! You're right. Maybe I am going senile

> after all.

I don't want to rub it in Jah but that European Cup Final in 68 ended 4-1. On the Ball was a preview programme. ITV's version of MOTD was The Big Match if I remember correctly. The Beeb's preview programme was Football Preview and was hosted by Sam Leitch. Bet you remember him.

re Beckham I think he's brilliant. Not the most talented but has a specific skill and makes the most of it, if I want a role model for my boys then he's it, as far as I can see he genuinely wants to play and works really effing hard to do it. Similar to his missus who also made the most of what she's got. Seems to me he doesn't have to try and play for Spurs, he wants to just play to try and play for England. He doesn't need the money for sure as he could probably buy a club if he wanted to.

In a world where footballers are routinely castigated for their behaviour he works hard, speaks well, represents his country positively and along the way makes some money. He also looks like he's part of a pretty happy family - what's not to like?

And btw, I'm a City fan.

Narnia Wrote:

> Jah........you'll remember some of these I'm sure!

Thanks for reminding us that Jimmy Greaves was a goalscoring god. The goal he scores against United in that 5-1 mauling was pure genius and one that Bestie would have been proud off. He was my idol when I was a kid. In fact he was George Best's footballing idol too.