How do you find a babysitter

Grotty

Hey,

My daughter is 9 months old and so far we've been relying on family to look after her so we can go out. But this is not always easy to arrange. How do you find babysitters in the area and whats the best way to ensure they're going to be ok/trustworthy? we're obviously novices at this particular game...

References from a family they've been with for a longish time, mininum a few years, with children of an age that they can speak.

Plus, make sure they can speak good English - in the unlikely case case of disaster, they need to be able to communicate with emerg services.

I had the same dilema when my daughter was about the same age and kept seeing lots of babysitters advertising their services on here but was dubious about being able to reliably check them out. Eventually, I saw a post from someone saying that their babysitter was looking for extra work. I checked the poster's previous postings which had gone back a number of years and she seemed like a normal, every day mum(!) so decided I could trust her recommedation. The babysitter turned out to be a child minder by day so we really felt we could trust her judgement. We still use her now and she's fantastic.

When you find the right person, your whole life opens up. Good luck with your search!

Have you looked at sitters.co.uk - they use regular sitters, who have childcare expeience, and seem to me to be very reliable - much more releiable than some of the teenagers who cancel on you when a better offer comes along! And you can ask for particlaur sitters once you get to know them.

Are there any babysitting parent groups in the area? E.g. where your partner stays home to watch your own kids while you go to a house to watch kids for another family. The next time you swap and get the night off while one parent is at home with your kids? This saves on the cost of a babysitter, you know the parent has experience of full time care for kids and makes going out for the evening much more reasonable. We found a family around the corner from us and found this has worked well once or twice, or course it isn't great if you both want to go out on the same night but at least it is an option. I would be interested in finding another couple families if anyone is interested please PM me

Ko - Sitters charges a quarterly membership and booking fees. ?13.85 per quarter + booking fee, usually ?4 per booking, ?6 for short notice/daytime. The standard rates are suppose to be Weekdays: ?5.95 per hour, Weekends: ?6.95 per hour but it depends on the sitter. You are advised of the rates when a sitter is booked and can cancel if you are not happy with the rate of the sitter they have offered.

Sqiggles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you looked at sitters.co.uk - they use

> regular sitters, who have childcare expeience, and

> seem to me to be very reliable - much more

> releiable than some of the teenagers who cancel on

> you when a better offer comes along! And you can

> ask for particlaur sitters once you get to know

> them.

Squiggles, I would never allow my teenage daughter to do this. Never. I make sure she is very reliable & impress on her the importance of a professional attitude to her babysitting work. Her friends are the same.

Re; the cost she's only a teenager & so not a childcare professional but I think she & her friends charge ?4.50 per hour.

Hi,

I think a lot of people find babysitters through word of mouth through friends and neighbours with children etc. I babysit myself, but being at uni I can only babysit when I am home in Dulwich in the holidays. I am 21 and have been babysitting for years for children from 8 months - 13 years old. I have been CRB checked due to working in schools and can provide references. I also drive. I am next back over Easter so should you need any help then please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks,

Kate

i got a babysitter off here - ally mcb - and she was LOVELY. i'd certainly recommend her. we'd never used one before so i was pleased to have found such a gem. she's a registered childminder and i remember thinking that if my childminder ever went awol i'd be knocking on ally's door!

My daughter's had lots of experience baby sitting locally, she's now in sixth form and a lot of her work has come from other families who have recommended her. She's had requests that she has turned down if there are things happening with her friends. All the families have been pretty close to where we live and there's been no emergencies to date. I can understand the reassurance of an experienced childminder but for the most part it's having someone present who can communicate with the parents if there's a problem, the children are after all, asleep. You wouldn't go out in the first place if the child was sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I do a lot of babysitting in Dulwich, Blackheath, Greenwich and Bromley.

I'm a 22 year old female nanny with an Early Years First Aid Qualification and clean CRB.

I drive so don't need lifts/taxis.

I charge ?8.50-9 an hour and can provide many glowing references.

Please contact me if I can help out!

Kind Regards

Amy