Man stabbed to death near East Dulwich station

louisiana

Presumably information is being kept back, with the cooperation of the media, to assist the investigation and any future criminal case. A little more important perhaps than the need to satisfy the voyeuristic desires of the public.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It seems a sad commentary on modern times

> (assuming that the press report is accurate) that

> teenagers should go to a private birthday party

> apparently carrying at least one gun and one

> knife, and be prepared to use them.

It is indeed. Its a sad society where the potential consequences of this arent a sufficient deterrent.

taper Wrote:

> Presumably information is being kept back, with

> the cooperation of the media, to assist the

> investigation and any future criminal case. A

> little more important perhaps than the need to

> satisfy the voyeuristic desires of the public.

Agreed taper. Also if family not identified and informed as yet then I doubt the police will release much further info.

As to the idea mentioned elsewhere that having this area 'supervised' would have possibly prevented this event? Not likely in my view. You can be punched and kicked to death in trafalgar square or stabbed to death in victoria station with both places heavily covered by CCTV, policing and passers by.

Around the same time this young man was stabbed, police stopped a bus on Lordship Lane near the Curry Cabin and a young man was taken off the bus and put into an ambulance having been stabbed, others were detained and the bus shut down and guarded by police until being taken away (presumably for forensics etc). I thought this was the stabbing referred to in early news reports but now know otherwise.

My heart goes out to all the friends & family of the young person who lost his life.

It upsets me to see the comments made in regards to him being black or it being a trident case-are we just speculating or do we know this?

Also, the comment made about it affecting small businesses? Honestly-is that really important? I think not

Does anyone know whether the event had security to supervise the event - who would have carried out bag searches and body searching if requested to do so? As I know at previous events they have done. This may not have prevented this tragic incident from happening but would have definitely been a deterrent to the young people to not bring in weapons or maybe alcohol or other substances.

Once again,my thoughts are with the families & friends affected x

The Hamlets football club,should not be having late night parties.

What as that got to do with football,a football club should be promoting a healthy lifestyle,do they have a drinks licence.

There was a time they were going to sell that sight to build a Homebase on.

As for Sainsburys car park on this forum alone people have reported muggings and car thefts,

let alone the actual stabbing in the store last year.

Police are a detterent,and as D.J.K Q said they could stop and search and save lives.

There should have been some form of security at the Hamlets club.

This happened in our locality, so it is in our interest to discuss it, I dont consider it yabber yabber.

I was walking home from Herne Hill around 12:30 and walked down the alley behind the football club, but heard nothing at that time. It's shaken me up to think this happened 20 minutes before I was there...

My thoughts and condolances are with the family. Such a tragedy, and so young. I'm sure they will catch the culprits, since it was a birthday party people must know who was there and who was involved.

I am under the impression that is was an under 18's event not a birthday party. We cant just say there should not be late night events at hamlets as we will just be pushing these events into to other areas. At certain clubs & bars I have been to in order for you to enter you have to show a form of id-not to prove your age but so that they have a database should there be any trouble, maybe at future events this could be considered.

kateland Wrote:

> I am under the impression that is was an under

> 18's event not a birthday party. We cant just say

> there should not be late night events at hamlets

> as we will just be pushing these events into to

> other areas. At certain clubs & bars I have been

> to in order for you to enter you have to show a

> form of id-not to prove your age but so that they

> have a database should there be any trouble, maybe

> at future events this could be considered.

Should you really have to be on a database to go out and enjoy yourself. Perhaps next we should have to swipe into Sainsburys to do our shopping in case we're shoplifters?

This doesnt work btw, its easy enough to pass weapons into a venue via the smoking area.

kateland Wrote:

> I am under the impression that is was an under

> 18's event not a birthday party. We cant just say

> there should not be late night events at hamlets

> as we will just be pushing these events into to

> other areas. At certain clubs & bars I have been

> to in order for you to enter you have to show a

> form of id-not to prove your age but so that they

> have a database should there be any trouble, maybe

> at future events this could be considered.

May I ask where? If some pub/club wanted my details for a database (that is not for simply letting me know whats coming up) I would not frequent the place, also I'm sure it's illegal.

I'm sorry but in a sense we do swipe in at saisburys....nectar cards? They store all the information you've bought,personal info from d.o.b to address etc. With SIA licenced door supervisors who are trained to deal with difficult situations and are more than aware of ways in which things may be smuggled into a venue this would work. Also in regards to the smoking area at hamlets there is only one engrance/exit where security would be.

Positive ways in which we can help or prevent situations should be discussed rather than us simply things won't work.

Bluerevolution Wrote:

> kateland Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I am under the impression that is was an under

> > 18's event not a birthday party. We cant just

> say

> > there should not be late night events at

> hamlets

> > as we will just be pushing these events into to

> > other areas. At certain clubs & bars I have

> been

> > to in order for you to enter you have to show a

> > form of id-not to prove your age but so that

> they

> > have a database should there be any trouble,

> maybe

> > at future events this could be considered.

>

>

> May I ask where? If some pub/club wanted my

> details for a database (that is not for simply

> letting me know whats coming up) I would not

> frequent the place, also I'm sure it's illegal.

Several Southwark clubs have had this imposed on them already and you are right, a lot of people stay away because of it.

kateland Wrote:

> I'm sorry but in a sense we do swipe in at

> saisburys....nectar cards? They store all the

> information you've bought,personal info from d.o.b

> to address etc. With SIA licenced door supervisors

> who are trained to deal with difficult situations

> and are more than aware of ways in which things

> may be smuggled into a venue this would work. Also

> in regards to the smoking area at hamlets there is

> only one engrance/exit where security would be.

> Positive ways in which we can help or prevent

> situations should be discussed rather than us

> simply things won't work.

You do know you dont have to carry a nectar card or use it at sainsburys?

You can all pick on Kateland but her sentiments are positive and good so give her a break please.

Whether the idea is flawed or not, i don't see any positive suggestions from Miles or Bluerevolution.

Maybe this subject deserves it's own thread..

Pearson, it's life. It's a shame these things happen but it does and has done since the birth of humans.

What do we do? Close every where at 10pm and impose a curfew?

Chip and DNA test everyone?

I know these will come across as flippant but there really is no way that anything can be done. I've lived in various parts of the country and it's the same everywhere. ED is a lovely place but there are no restrictions on bad people entering it

Bluerevolution,

Well managed venues and spaces have significantly less conflicts. East Dulwich has a recently started a PubWatch scheme and some of the first advice given was visiting some establishments and just double checking that the flow of people inside pubs didn't cause customers bumping into each other unnecessarily with the risks of conflict that causes. So lots can be done without ridiculous infringements to have normal lives.

The shooting and then knifing incidents Friday night around midnight are tragic.

As much must be learnt to reduce the chances of this happening to people in our area as possible.

James, I fully appreciate what your are saying, as an experienced doorman/ security officer (Manchester) I have seen it all. (including having blood filled syringes pulled on me)

We need to wait to find out what actually happened on Friday, assumption appears to be that it was all about the party at DHFC.

We don't know if that was well supervised, I would think it was to be honest. There is a very good chance that someone annoyed someone else and phone calls were made, speculation I know.

The perpetrator/s could well have been from well outside ED and therefore DHFC nor anyone else would have known nor could have done anything about this.

I'd love to be able to give a simplistic answer to the knife/gun culture problem but there isn't one.

Your earlier comment regarding Sainsburys openning hours wasn't really helpful, staff/security are not insured beyond the confines of the car park and would be trained/told do not under any circumstance pursue/deal with situations beyond those bounds, call the police by all means but do not get involved.

Had someone called the police would it have made any difference? I doubt it.

Police numbers at that time of night in this area would be negligible.

When I worked night security (for a 24hr Tesco in Manchester), each division had and average of 6 officers on duty, I doubt there is much difference here.