East Dulwich Schools

FGS!

I said I would pm Ann to put her in the picture. She was talking about a poster (as in someone who posts messages on a thread) you were talking about a poster (as in a piece of paper with a picture on it). You two were talking at cross purposes. I didn't ask anyone to pm me! I thought it was patently obvious I was a Goodrich parent.

This is ridiculous.

Er, Dorothy, that's not true. You posted this: "I'd suggest you pm the one or two individuals who have posted (their first ever post on this forum) about Goodrich in the last week or so and ask them exactly what their agenda is and what do they think can be done to improve the school? And then could you pm me and let me know! Thanks."

Here's the tables for 2010

http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/primary_10.shtml

It's not really possible to draw conclusions from a dip in school results in one year - the cohort of pupils is different each year

Furthermore, if 77 pupils sat the tests, then the no of pupils achieving Level 4 in Eng/Maths to give 73% is 56.2 (56) and to give 71% is 54.7 (55) so the results of 1 or 2 pupils can cuuse the apparent drop

Btw, I know very little about Goodrich, this is just a comment looking at the data (I have some knowledge of schools' attainment data)

Notes on the tables: http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/primary_10/p4.shtml and CVA http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/primary_10/p1.shtml

I don't know how the stats in 2010 were skewed by 25% of schools boycotting the tests...

Emily Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The drop has been year on year, every year for

> four years. Not a blip. Goodrich did not boycott

> the tests. It does not give me any pleasure to say

> this. I am extremely worried. The next meeting

> might be our Tahir Square!

The fact that many schools did boycott the tests will have affected the percentages achieving L4 nationally and across Souhwark, is what I meant.

Emily Wrote:

it is true that Goodrich has also slipped

> down the rankings in Southwark compared to other

> ED schools.

And that may well be because some Southwark schools decided to boycott, whose results wouldn't have been that good...

I am not saying parents have no right to raise concerns about the school, but looking at the raw %s year on year achieving L4 in English and Maths is a poor indicator of the real health of a school, honestly. These statistics are notoriously difficult to analyse and interpret, particularly in primary schools where one child can make up 2-3% of the cohort all on their own!

samstopit Wrote:

> I agree with toast. What are these parents

> thinking of? I can't be alone as a concerned mum

> whose child who will be starting school in

> September, reading these posts and thinking that

> maybe I should not have put Goodrich on our

> application form for Southwark. Is that helpful to

> your situation? Surely you would be better off

> getting behind the school and promoting it to

> other families who care about their kids'

> education, as the goose green contingent have done

> so successfully over the past couple of years.

Agree. As a parent who will very soon be making applications, this is worrying. All I am getting is don't take you child to Goodrich. This seems to be a continuing thread in EDF ask a question and all you get are arguments that do not really help. Seems like everyone is part of the problem and no one is a part or even willing to be a part of a solution.

>

> Agree. As a parent who will very soon be making

> applications, this is worrying. All I am getting

> is don't take you child to Goodrich. This seems to

> be a continuing thread in EDF ask a question and

> all you get are arguments that do not really help.

> Seems like everyone is part of the problem and no

> one is a part or even willing to be a part of a

> solution.

Reneet

I have a son in year 2 and a son in Nursery at Goodrich. I like the school. I certainly do not think it is perfect but when I have a problem I go to the class teacher/ deputy head/ or head teacher directly. I think one of the main issues is staff sickness and the level of teachers that have recently left. This is of course not good but I do think things should get better. Like I say, it is not perfect. I do take my kids education seriously so I have got extra help because I think it is probably needed (not a private tutor for the record - although that would be nice!).

I do not want to get mixed up in the arguments that are being discussed on here. I have my own opinions on that but here is not the place! I just feel that people should not be regarding Goodrich as a School that has completely lost it's way. It is not the case at all. I am very involved with the school as can any other parent be. Don't be too put off. Speak to some of the other parents and you will get a feel for it when you go and visit.

Plus, I think the teachers really care about the children.

Emily Wrote:

> Fuschia, you clearly don't know much about the

> situation.

Actually I have heard a fair bit from various Goodrich parents, and it sounds totally bizarre! But I do feel the need to point out that a drop from one year to the next in % achieving L4 in the SAT results needs to be analysed properly, as it comes down to whether a handful of children are present for the tests/how they perform and takes no note of their level on intake/any SEN they may havce. That's why the contextual value added is a far more meaningful figure.

I don't think Goodrich parents will do themselves any favours if they don't seem to have any more grasp of the "league tables" than the Sun or the Daily Mail, is all!

When I go to pick up my kids at Goodrich I really like the sense of community and the lovely atmosphere. I like my kids teachers as they seem to genuinely care about the children. I also loved the Christmas Fair and last year's KS1 Sports Day. My kids have made good friends there. These are some of the ways I judge the school. I would say to those who are applying this year just go ahead and put it down first choice if it is your nearest Community School - because that's what it is, a Community School in London with a mixed intake. You are securing a place for your kid for the next 7 years, not just for next year, so if you are a nice person with a happy, friendly kid with decent values then you will be helping to secure Goodrich's future.

There are always some people who love to moan. Genuine issues should be discussed with the school through the proper channels not debated on an internet forum.

Emily Wrote:

> though it is true that Goodrich has also slipped

> down the rankings in Southwark compared to other

> ED schools. It's very sad.

A rising tide floats all boats. This would also happen if other Southwark schools improved and Goodrich had to work harder to maintain its place in the rankings. It doesn't necessarily mean that Goodrich is worse than it was.

When we moved to ED, estate agents used 'in the Goodrich catchment area' to talk up properties because other local schools like Heber and Goose Green were struggling. Now that these other schools have improved so much (with the help of good leadership, dedicated staff and student/parent pride in achievement) Goodrich probably doesn't shine quite as brightly as before.

I have no idea what the problems might be with Goodrich, but this forum is not the place to air them - it isn't fair on its children or on other parents, and will only serve to worsen the long-term prognosis for the school.

Reneet - I sincerely hope you are not discouraged from applying to Goodrich school. If it is your closest community school, I would encourage you to apply. If Heber or Fairlawn or Goose Green or wherever else is your closest, I would encourage you to apply to those. I really believe people should get behind their local school in their local community. And actually put some hours in at the school on a voluntary basis if at all possible.

I also have two children at Goodrich, one in KS1 and one in the foundation stage. They love the school and their teachers and they are making great progress with their learning. Of course the school is not perfect, and I understand that some parents have legitimate complaints, but we as a family are very happy with it.

And although I would not consider myself to be out of the playground loop, and my partner attended the recent parents' forum, I have to say that I have no idea what the threats are that Emily refers to.