Berlin - Stag Do - Help!

jamesb

My advice would be to scrap the Berlin trip and head further east. You'll get a lot more for your money in the Baltic states than Germany, especially Estonia. The booze is cheap and the police, believe it or not, really go out of their way to look after wobbly tourists (within reason, of course).

We all bought a one-way ticket to Tallinn and spent five not-so-memorable days having a great time off our faces on cheap lager and hash. After which, we hopped on a ridiculously cheap ferry to Helsinki where we spent the weekend recuperating. We flew back on Squeezy Jet the following Monday.

One of the best holidays I've ever had.

Berlin is a bit too civilized for a stag do methinks. But it depends on what you and your mates get up to. I went to Munich and it was fun. For a proper debauched do I think you should consider the East. But Berlin has great galleries and techno clubs so that might work. They dont really cater for the last great hurrah like some places do. In Munich we spent an evening in a Beer Hall singing ompah pah songs and then hit some clubs. Real Lederhosen and madchens like the heaving madonna with the huge bossoms territory. A couple of galleries during the day and eating local delicacies like pig knuckle roasts. What are your mates into piant balling and go kart racing?

Interesting. I have spent quite alot of time in Berlin and Tallinn and would go for Berlin every time. Tallinn has a reputation for being a party town, but isnt that brilliant.

Berlin is good fun, it really all depends what you want from your Stag do? If its civilised then there are plenty of museums, civilised bars and restaurants. If its uncivilised, the brothels are legal .......... :))

I cannot remember a 'stag do' that I would want to relive.

They seem to make good guys become infantile and boorish.

Then there are the idiots who cannot wait to create unnecessary trouble, and bring the world down on top of themselves and upon everyone else, to somehow make themselves appear to be a 'party animal' when in fact they are just animals.

If I never went to another stag do, it would be too soon.

@ Fyvum personal opinion aside, it is a matter of taste, not so? It marks a right of passage. In ancient times in Africa you have the option of drinking old men's semen, hunting lions or drinking some noxious concoction. In the West today, we like to mark it with some fun activities. I guess you dont have to go if you dont want to and nobody would think any less of you if you didnt. Rituals break up the monotony of life, they mark the passing of one stage to another, you might not care for them but we are social beings, we need this stuff. Having said that, if you have mates or friends of mates who act like plonkers, doesn't it say more about you rather than the rituals? Just a thought.

@ Mike P ::o

I don't see what semen and lion hunting have got to do with people who are normal and decent until they change into complete brainless a****holes under the guise of a stag do.

He is getting married that's all, ......rites of passage good grief!

fyvum - decent people don't become arseholes who want to start trouble, just because they're on a stag weekend. I would suggest that those people are arseholes anyway, who just lose their inhibitions after a few pints. A stag weekend should be a blast if your friends aren't dicks.

Berlin is sophisticated, genteel, stylish, welcoming and confident, adjectives I would rarely apply to members of a stag (or hen or 30th/40th/etc birthday) party, so either go to have a non-trad do or don't go at all. Brits on the piss - especially supposedly middle-class ones - are shaming and sad.

You could have a piss up one week here in the UK and then go and do something less boring instead with the mates you really appreciate.

• 1 year later...

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> don't sully our collective reputation abroad.

> Berlin is a bit too cool for a stag party anyway.

I don't know, most Germans seem to like a piss up just as much as their British counterparts. I don't see a problem as long as nobody's disrespectful - and if they are, maybe it's time to reevaluate the company you keep!