Aircraft noise - have your say...

SplendidLikePeckham

Well I'd like to make a fuss but I can't make Tuesday's meeting, unfortunately. I'm not surprised the first meeting was poorly attended as I have not seen any mention of it anywhere until I chanced to read the above post. I'm afraid I am heartily sick of aircraft noise but don't feel that the rewards from being active in campaigning against it are likely to justify the cost/time, etc. However, I am very grateful to those that do campaign about it (I did march against the Heathrow extension...) and I would be very grateful if anyone who does go to Tuesday's meeting would cast my proxy vote against any mealy mouthed political flim flam about the necessity of ever expanding airport capacity etc. etc.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course the planes fly over us. They have done

> for the 26 years that I have lived here and

> decades before.

>

> You don't like planes. Move.

>

> They have been here longer than you. Until

> Politicians build a lovely new airport in a big

> green field in Kent or Essex, they will be flying

> over for many many decades to come.

Christ - deja vu... Sure we've been round this argument more than once in the past 12 pages...

fazer71 Wrote:

> Just back home in ED.

> Drone central.

> watching top gear and the aircraft noise is

> constant.

> drone drone drone.. In the background constant

> rumble.

>

>

> 99% of people don't want to make a fuss about

> negative issues.

>

> maybe the ostrich in them stops them from making a

> fuss.

Or maybe 99% of people don't mind the planes.

I've been trying to watch a re-run of the Australian Grand Prix but this incessant aircraft noise is totally ruining the experience.

Can any of the seven people who attending the Brockley meeting let me know how it went? I only flew back into the country last night so missed the meeting.

hpsaucey Wrote:

> Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Of course the planes fly over us. They have

> done

> > for the 26 years that I have lived here and

> > decades before.

> >

> > You don't like planes. Move.

> >

> > They have been here longer than you. Until

> > Politicians build a lovely new airport in a big

> > green field in Kent or Essex, they will be

> flying

> > over for many many decades to come.

>

>

> Christ - deja vu... Sure we've been round this

> argument more than once in the past 12 pages...

Michael Palaeologus

It's never been like THIS! I've lived here for 40 years and I can remember only ever hearing birds in the morning it's changed dramatically in the last couple of years.

Why else would the people of Brockley and others near us be screaming about it?

Your perception is flawed.

If it had always been like this I think I'd know. It's not as though ones hearing improves over 40 years!

-

True Top Gear what a load of rubbish last night.

This morning aircraft noise as loud as hell the rumble drone and whistle pretty intense.

It's not hot enough to have the windows open but OMG once it is WTF are we going to do?

OK, here's a fair challenge for the aurally challenged.

Daytime

1. Go to Peckham rye park

2. Listen and count for 5 mins.

3. report back here.

Night time

1. Set alarm for 4.25am

2. Listen for 30 mins.

3. Report back.

Simples!

KidKruger Wrote:

> What about ear plugs like you wear at a gig ?

Some do. I can't. But when it rains, I wear a mac in bed to stay dry... ( just a little humour to stop me pulling my invisible hair out).

PLANE TROUBLES/NOTES FROM THE MEETING ON 13TH MARCH 14/@ THE ASHBURNHAM ARMS

There was a really excellent turnout for the plane noise meeting on the 13th at the Ash. Input from long - term local campaigners and from from HACAN, Greenwich Society , Blackheath Society and Brockley Noise really helped in gathering local information and planning.

They confirmed local perceptions that there is indeed -

? An increase in plane traffic and disturbance over the area that has continued since the end of the Heathrow night trials in March 2013

? Greenwich is probably suffering a combined effect of noise from City and Heathrow as well as helicopter noise

With potential plans for increased traffic at Heathrow and City, this is likely to get worse - it seems this may indeed be the ideal time to start campaigning

Possible Actions

For those already concerned or those wanting to observe the situation - the HACAN website is an excellent start. www.hacan.org.uk. It also offers:

- Loads of info and reports

- a link to the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) for anyone wanting to lodge a complaint about excess numbers of flights/timing of flights/ noise level.

- The chance to sign up to the ?5 minute action ? campaign ? where you get a weekly email only with an action London wide that guarantees to take only 5 minutes

- Also, letters to the MP/councillors/local paper about your experience are always useful. Please send copies to the email below so we can start to collate a file

Local meetings are now planned to track the situation and consider campaigning. The next meeting is provisionally planned for the 29th April or 6th May @ The Ashburnham Arms (TBC).

Initially this informal local group will:

- Explore how to get co-ordinated information about flight paths from both Heathrow, City and the helicopter flights to see the true joint picture

- Aim for a joint meeting with Heathrow and City airport to discuss the cross over and related matters , perhaps linked through the London Assembly who already have plane noise on their agenda

- Link up with other action groups across SE London to co-ordinate activity and effectiveness

- Start local info gathering will be the first step so please watch this space

Lastly, ?Brockley Noise? have organised a meeting with Heathrow for next Tuesday 18th March

If you?d like to know more about why the traffic has increased since Dec 2012 this is a great source.

Venue : Howell Hall, upstairs at St. John's Church, Brockley, London SE8 4EA. (The Church next to St. Johns mainline train station). You can also follow them on Twitter. See you there.

fabfor Wrote:

> AND NOW....

>

> Re: Aircraft noise - have your say...

> Posted by Otta Today, 10:31AM

>

> Probably poorly attended because for most people

> this isn't a big problem.

> ....................................

>

> Looks like I made a lucky guess, eh... Talk about

> a wolf in sheep's clothing.

>

> Anyhow, I'd appreciate hearing about Tuesday's

> meeting, please.

No, it looks like I made a reasonable comment about the meeting being poorly attended based on the fact that only 2 people are actually on here saying it's a big problem.

A ha, I think I've cracked your problem. You should not set your alarm for 4.25am.

Not taking sides here but for the benefit of the 'hearers' I struggled with traffic noise outside by house for several months. At its worst I was sitting like a house cat in the window counting cars and using this decibel thingy on my iPhone to record noise. I searched noise reduction websites and went as far as asking an acoustic fence expert to comment on the possibility of installing 2 metre high acoustic fencing at the front of my house. I think it was his reaction when I mentioned the road I lived on that made me question whether I was listening for the noise rather than hearing it, if you get my drift. So I had an extra beer or two in the evening for a week running to help me let it go. It worked and now I wonder what I was thinking.

fabfor Wrote:

> OK, here's a fair challenge for the aurally

> challenged.

>

> Daytime

>

> 1. Go to Peckham rye park

> 2. Listen and count for 5 mins.

> 3. report back here.

>

> Night time

>

> 1. Set alarm for 4.25am

> 2. Listen for 30 mins.

> 3. Report back.

>

> Simples!

fabfor Wrote:

> If you?d like to know more about why the traffic

> has increased since Dec 2012 this is a great source.

THIS ^

Exactly, I would like to know ..

We know why it was bad over the trial period but why has it remained ?

EDIT to add

Found this on HACAN

Comment historyFlora Poste Flora Poste 4 March 23:45

The East Dulwich forum is full of trolls and/ or people who don't want to acknowledge the impact of Heathrow on the area. They're probably worried about their property values. The noise is just as bad in Dulwich itself.

I don't think anyone is denying the the planes are either there, or that they are not silent. Whenever I write on this thread,I listen out and hear planes - the point is that when I am not thinking about them, which is most of the time, I don't notice them.

And I am sure (and I think the stats show) that the amount of traffic overhead has not changed dramatically over time, I certainly remember watching planes overhead 25 years ago (and more) when I moved here first.

So I think it is worst when you are 'plane-aware' - which is a state of mind. And a state of mind which the comparatively small number of sympathetic posters (compared with the ED Forum 'population') suggests may not be that widely shared - at least among ED Forum-ites.

It's not about being 'plane-aware' ..

When you're on Lordship Lane talking with someone you bumped into and the noise of aircraft going overhead means you need to SHOUT !!!!! You know 100% it's not fvckin 'plane-aware' !!

Utter bollocks., ....

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Yeah, ^ that statement is utter bollocks. I have

> never ever ever needed to shout above plane noise

> in East Dulwich or anywhere come to think of it.

>

> You sir, are talking out of your arse.

WHAT I CAN't HEAR YOU ?????? Those bloody jets !

fazer71 Wrote:

> It's not about being 'plane-aware' ..

>

> When you're on Lordship Lane talking with someone

> you bumped into and the noise of aircraft going

> overhead means you need to SHOUT !!!!! You know

> 100% it's not fvckin 'plane-aware' !!

>

>

> Utter bollocks., ....

This post does say everything really. This has never happened to me, not once. Never have I had to shout to be heard above aircraft noise. That's just silly.

As I was walking past The Patch on the fine Sunday that's just gone, I looked up into the clear sky and saw a plane. Low hum at best. I remarked to my companion there is a whole thread about aircraft noise on the EDF. If I hadn't pointed out the plane it would have gone unnoticed, certainly no need to SHOUT. A simple way to test this surely is to have a pint or whatever outside The Patch with Fazer, and have a shouty conversation every time a plane goes over. Won't happen as there is no need to shout. Massive over exaggeration. I'm happy to have that pint by the way.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Presumably some of the well-balanced,

> non-obsessives will be attending tomorrow's

> meeting to advise on cbt, etc.? ROFL

>

> I doubt it - if you don't care, you don't care

> enough to attend meetings.

EXACTLY!

So why interfere? Trolling? Busybodying? Vandalism?