Cycling (daily commute) for a beginner. Advice?

philip walker

I have just started a new job in East Croydon, it is in fact very easy to get to on the train, but have been toying with the idea of cycling for the fitness benefits, so thought the 6 mile each way daily commute on a bike would be a good place to start, and a good way to loose my ever increasing stella belly.

I've put ?200 aside to get a road bike (not going to get a very expensive one until I am sure I will stick with it, then I will invest). I just want to ask what else do I need to consider? helmet of course, but what do you lovely cycling people do about taking your work clothes with you? Surely they get creased up?

I am a member of a gym that is in the same street as my office so can go in there for a shower easily enough.

Any advice for a newbie cycle commuter? Do's and don'ts etc?

Also, anyone selling a light road bike??

Thank you all.. :)

Look at getting a second-hand bike for your ?200; you'll probably get a better one than if you spend ?200 new. You probably want to look at getting one with a rack on the back or panniers since it can be nicer than putting all your stuff in a rucksack and getting a sweaty back as a result. Mudguards, although they may not look cool, are a good idea if you plan on cycling in the rain at all... or get caught in it.

Clothes-wise, it depends on how you dress in the office and how 'hard' you cycle. If you're not really pushing it, then you're not going to sweat that much so you might get away with just wearing your regular clothes in. I tend to change and just roll my clothes neatly and pack them into a bag. Rolling as opposed to folding leads to fewer creases. I do quite often leave a pair of all-purpose shoes at the office since they tend to be the 'heaviest' bit of the outfit. If you need to wear a suit, then it might be worthwhile getting the train in/back once a week and taking a couple of suits/shirts in with you and leave them there.

Don't get too focused on thinking you have to do it everyday to start with since it's surprising how much it can take out of your legs initially and don't get too caught up in 'racing' others that pass you.

Do's

Get some cycling training from Southwark Council - they can help you plan the best route and give you some great tips on cycling assertively in traffic. I felt lots more confident about my commute after I had my free hour lesson.

Get something high-vis - even if it's only a rucksack cover. It does make you much more visible to drivers

Practice on your bike in the park to get used to its quirks - its turning circle, its brakes and get comfortable signalling with each hand and checking behind you - before you head out in earnest on the road

Follow the Highway code even if you feel stupid for sitting at lights while others sail blithely through them on red.

Do learn some basics on bike maintenance

Thank drivers with a wave if they're nice to you

Enjoy it - it's a great way to start the day especially when the sun's out

Don't

Hug the kerb - learn about the primary position and use it

Use pavements - and on mixed use ones, remember that they are primarily for pedestrians and the onus is on you to slow down and not hit them.

Jump red lights - annoys everyone and unless you're 100% sure of phasing, eventually a recipe for disaster.

Go down the left side of high sided vehicles stationery or moving - they can't see you

Filter down the left side of any vehicle if it's indicating left; unless there's an ASL that you know you can get to before the lights change.

Really good advice from applespider.

The one bit I'd stress is being aware of whats going on behind you. Being able to frequently glance behind (making eye contact if you can) without swerving or straying into the road takes a while to get the hang of. Awareness is the one over-riding thing that will keep you safe imo.

As for a route to Croydon, the direct route is via Palace, which is a nasty climb both ways for a commute. Might be better trying honor oak cemetary/brockley/sydenham/west norwood as a flatter way to go.

Just to add, you can obviously vary the route top maintain interest/optimise your journey time, but perhaps it's testing it out on a couple of saturdays/sundays just to get the feel for it before facing it in the rush hour? If you haven't cycle commuted before this will help you get the hang on your bike when there isn't so much traffic around, and help you get a feel for the lie of the land.

I'd advise against buying anything new for ?200 - lots of people get turned off cycling by starting with a cheap bike and finding it's not doing the job. You should either look at second hand, or perhaps thinking of paying a little bit more and starting off with a fast hybrid with road tyres on it. You might find this gives you a bit more of stable platform to start on compared to a road bike anyway, and if you stick with it, sell it off in a couple of months and get the bike of your dreams!

Clothes wise - if you wear a suit etc you could keep a couple of suits and a stock of shirts at work and get them cleaned there. Keeping shoes and a coat etc at work and just bringing in the other items with you would also help.

And ride safely, as already mentioned, allow plenty of time, don't race anyone else, and stay aware of what else is going on around you.

Enjoy - I've been commuting around London for nearly 20 years, rain or shine, still love it.

Once you have a route in mind (from Google, cyclestreets or TFL) then identify key junctions and take a look at them on Google Streetview - it makes it much easier to identify the turn on the ground rather than desperately trying to keep an eye on street names.

And I'll second the notion of not assuming most direct is the way to go especially where Sydenham/Crystal Palace hill is involved. Don't be too nervous of big roads tho - bus lanes can be great since there are remarkably few buses in them for the majority of the time. It is sometimes easier (and there are more signposts) than winding your way through more residential roads which often are narrower with lots of parked cars.

Enjoy! I only started commuting by bike last year since I got my bike on a Cycle to Work scheme so thought I should at least try. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and how frustrated I now get on the occasions I do use public transport now

DaveR - Very good advice: Schwalbe Marathons are the best.

Applesider - ditto. Bus lanes are your friend.

Plus i'd look to spend at least ?400 on a bike. Once you've tried it you won't look back.

Kepp your arse back in the saddle, maintain the same cadence, and wipe the flies of your teeth every ten minutes.

sorted.

monica Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Phillip you can book free cycle lessons through

> Cycling Instructor, they help you become more road

> safety aware.

> http://www.cyclinginstructor.com/

> We have local Cycle instructor Marilyn Donahue, I

> recommend everyone should take lessons, no matter

> how road savvy they are.

> Good luck

Just wanted to say that I had a lesson with Marilyn after seeing this post and it was extremely helpful. I'm a reasonably experienced cyclist - my main transport is a bike and I cycle pretty much every day - but I learned some useful stuff and can now cycle through the Herne Hill junction without screaming or getting onto the pavement. And it's free!

Congrats Ms B! I remember my first venture over Herne Hill... and then I hit Vauxhall Cross (yikes... it's better than a double espresso in the morning!)

So Philip, how was your test run? And have you tried this week? It's been a great one for cycle commuting - gorgeous weather and fewer cars on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First few days were a struggle, more that I felt like I had been kicked in the ass a few dozen times, but it wasn't as bad as I thought, and found myself enjoying it in parts! Plus I've lost half a stone, bonus..!

Thanks for all your comments and advice.. :)

PW

Applespider Wrote:

> Get something high-vis - even if it's only a

> rucksack cover. It does make you much more

> visible to drivers

I haven't got up the courage to cycle yet, but as a bus traveller and occasional driver, please please do as Applespider suggests. I see lots of cyclists riding in the twilight or dark wearing dark clothing with only a single bike light, and they are almost totally invisible from the back, and not much better from the front. It's really scary.

philip walker Wrote:

> and

> found myself enjoying it in parts! Plus I've lost

> half a stone, bonus..!

Congratulations! On both the commute and the weight loss! And yes... forgot that if you're not used to it, you can get a tad saddle sore...

Moos - try the cycle lessons mentioned. They're amazing for a confidence boost; seriously, I went from being too nervous to face the roads to merrily careering over Vauxhall Bridge on a daily basis.

Applespider Wrote:

> philip walker Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > and

> > found myself enjoying it in parts! Plus I've

> lost

> > half a stone, bonus..!

>

> Congratulations! On both the commute and the

> weight loss! And yes... forgot that if you're not

> used to it, you can get a tad saddle sore...

>

> Moos - try the cycle lessons mentioned. They're

> amazing for a confidence boost; seriously, I went

> from being too nervous to face the roads to

> merrily careering over Vauxhall Bridge on a daily

> basis.

Exactly, you'll soon be riding on the pavement & down one-way streets like the best of us.

( red lights, what are they for ? )

Nette:)

There is also a Cycle maintenance course you can attend on the 14th May, I have posted the course on the whats on. Definitely worth doing, and it may save you money in the long run. Mrs B glad you took advantage of the free courses run by Cycling instructor, its worth while doing. EDSNUB will be sponsoring various Cycle maintenance courses in East Dulwich over the next few months, look on the ED forum for future dates.

http://www.cyclinginstructor.com/

http://www.eastdulwichsnub.co.uk/

• 11 months later...