The Rosendale

Buzzard

Just gone there for a Sunday roast, and was grossly disappointed. First, they would not let us order from the 'proper' menu which had roasts on it because apparently there is an imaginary line in the pub and we were on the wrong side of it. Has we been on the right side it was, I was told, "find dining". We were stuck with the bar menu - and the bloke was none too polite about telling us. I asked him why we couldn't order from the menu that we wanted to. "We tried that and it didn't work", he said. Didn't work for whom?

Then when the food arrived they had unilaterally changed the ingredients. It was noisy and overfull and we had to wait forever.

p.s. can't really blame them but the baby shat itself within seconds of our arriving and there are no facilites so we ended up dining amidst baby poo.

I'm confused - if there was "imaginary line" in the pub then just out of curiousity - why didn't you move?

I have had good experiences from the bar menu - decent fishcakes; decent burger ... but an absolutely rotten Sunday Roast. But for the latter I blamed myself because I ordered at 7pm - so couldn't really expect much...

They claimed that they were fully booked on the finey diney side of the imaginary line, notwithstanding which I saw several unoccupied tables for the duration of our stay. I think they didn't want us because we had a baby buggy and, as I may have mentioned, a baby covered in baby poo. What was not to like?

"But for the latter I blamed myself because I ordered at 7pm - so couldn't really expect much..."

Is this the typical British response to poor quality and service?

My view is that you're entitled to expect the same constant standard of quality in food and service for the whole period that they advertise themselves as being open for service and say they are serving the menu items mentioned. After all, a real restaurant (or gastro pub) wouldn't survive very long if it got a reputation for only having food worth eating up to a particular point in the day or evening.

Dear Mr Buzzard,

We dined at the Rosendale today, and if you will allow me to be completely candid, your baby stank the place out. The waiters actually gave you bad service as they wanted you to clear off. There is indeed ample room to change a baby's nappy, but as you seemed unwilling to sort the infant out, despite several hints, we (the customers) unanimously agreed that you should not be allowed to join us in the fine dining area and should be served only grilled black pudding and chips.

Darling - you were in West Dulwich today, please remember to behave yourself accordingly.

Hate to be a PC tw@t, but don't you think 'frog' is derogatory?

I feel uncomfortable when hearing or seeing anything like that.

I can't stand classism either, which seems to be the other 'acceptable' predjudice.

I know you guys think it's funny and just part of being British to take the piss out of the French, but class hatred has been around for hundreds of years too, and it's just as disgusting as racism, homophobia, religious hatred, sexism etc.

Nice work Dulwich Mum. Seriously, are there baby changing facilities? I couldn't find any and was so incandescent with rage at the staff that I couldn't bring myself to ask.

Chav, I do think frog is derogatory, yes. But it's the French we are talking about. They are our sporting and cultural rivals, and although we love them and they love us, we also hate each other. During the Hundred Years War they called us the "Goddamns". Now they call us the "F*ckoffs". It's not racism or classism - it's casual baiting. It's about as offensive as a Spurs fan calling an Arsenal fan a gooner.

Dear Mr Buzzard,

Indeed there are nappy changing facilities. They had one of those great big plastic thingies in the ladies toilets. The staff were so perplexed at your lack of interest in availing of it, that they removed it from the toilet and set it up (eagerly) next to you in the bar area. When the bar filled up it was subsequently placed on a bench and table outside the bar and was carried away by robbers.

Shame on you Mr Buzzard. I am sure they will install another changing facility forthwith...

Indeed Chavwivalawdegree, you say you don't like classism and yet on another thread you said...

"I also think you lot all went on the defensive cos none of you can kick a ball straight.

When the oil runs out and climate change hits, there won't be the kind of civilisation you lot are propped up by now. If you can't build your own house, grow your own food or protect your land, you are gonna be in trouble."

What would you say the above quote indicates then sweetie?

Went there yesterday also, we were the 'right side of the imaginery line' and have to say it was a mixed experience. There was much confusion in the delivery of both our starters and our main courses (although all was fixed eventually), Lamb was very good but steak was average (apparently), and the fish came with such a meagre accompaniment that a side order of potatoes was hastily added. Disappointing cheesecake to finish too.

We considered withholding our service, but got the impression that it wasn't really the waiters' fault and they were both apologetic, friendly and polite throughout so we left it at a brief complaint. Doubt we'll go back though.

Also, not sure why you'd want to call the French Frogs, when losing semi finalists is soooooooo much more appropriate, aha, ahhaaaa, ahaaaaaaaaaaa...

To be gracious in victory is ... well, not as much fun frankly.

DM - ""I also think you lot all went on the defensive cos none of you can kick a ball straight.

When the oil runs out and climate change hits, there won't be the kind of civilisation you lot are propped up by now. If you can't build your own house, grow your own food or protect your land, you are gonna be in trouble."

What would you say the above quote indicates then sweetie?"

This is not class-ism, both of my nerdy IT special-ist brothers have changed career, one trained as an electrician, the other has become a farmer. They both decided that life without pracical skills leaves them vulnerable in the face of what may become a totally different society after the environmental deficit that has supported capitalism and growth is called in. Nothing to do with class.

Solar and wind power can replace fossil fuels for quite big projects, so I don't see a problem with that. There were workshops on the climate camp on how to convert your system to 12v DC something or other and there are loads of other places to find out how to do that. (Not being someone who has a clue about these things, I'm probably not the best person to relay that info - but I could ask my brother if you are interested).

Went to the Rosendale with friends for saturday lunch as the place was recommended.

it was piss poor. cold food on cold plates, one main course didn't arrive at all.

Waitress ( v stressed ) said it was ' cause no one in the kitchen or the other floor staff

speak english ' bit of a drawback that, methinks !

we were in the bar bit, suppose the restaurant is better, but it's the same kitchen.

Will give it a miss in future, shame really after all the hype.