What shops do we NEED in ED then? (Lounged)

Spangles30

"we DO (I think) have an abundance of pointless trinket and kitchen shops and estate agents."

Well, over the last 15 years the trinket shops did tend to fill up shops that became empty on LL, arguably as a result of Sainsburys opening in ED in 1992/3, so that it never became so rundown looking that shops were converted to flats, etc. as has happened elsewhere - even in parts of ED. I think they were also part of the catalyst for the improvement in the area, so I'm a bit reluctant to be too critical of them. Also, take away the gift/trinket shops and what realistically would replace them? If the market was right here, we would have a decent bakery by now. I've never quite understood why ED Deli doesn't fulfil this role, like lots of delicatessens do.

"There are some chain shops which I think are OK, and I would not be dismayed at an M&S or a Wagamama opening up."

I'd prefer an independent Japanese food/noodle place myself, I think Wagamama is a bit too 'fast food', and things are now beginning to all taste the same.

no ready meal, and I mean NO ready meal is worth it

have another look at that ingredient list guys

And even if the was the bees knees, there you are with your microwave meal, knowing that hundreds of thousands of people are having EXACTLY the same slop. Is slop harsh? Have another look at it - you've had a proper version of that meal somewhere before haven't you. And what you see in front of you isn't it

Is it THAT hard to cook for yourselves? I'll come and do it for you... but please. Ready meals... NO!!

(and I have been there.. for years. And not even the good stuff. 2 years of Bernard's Turkey Drummers... Of course I tried the Waitrose & M&S meals.... but... oh look nothing I say will make a difference)

"Is it THAT hard to cook for yourselves? I'll come and do it for you... but please. Ready meals... NO!!"

Why have a now got a vivid picture in my head of Basil Fawlty beating up the Austin 1100 with a stick on his failed hotel 'gourmet night'?

Frisco - if only I were that tall and skinny!

tis a pet peeve of mine. I am up at 6am every day and often don't get back til late evening but (and I stress how often I have in the past had ready meals with the guilty scars to show for it) just like there is a forum rule.. Never The Vale.... Never The Ready Meal

(Never is a changeable concept.... I work next to a Waitrose and tried their premium premium chili recently... but it was, frankly, dogshite.... and nearly a fiver's worth of dogshite at that. Some mince - a quid - plus ingredients lying about at home - 45 mins tops. If you don't have 45 mins for food then there is more wrong with life than M&S not being nearby)

oooh I do rant on this topic don't I?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Frisco - if only I were that tall and skinny!

>

> tis a pet peeve of mine. I am up at 6am every day

> and often don't get back til late evening but (and

> I stress how often I have in the past had ready

> meals with the guilty scars to show for it) just

> like there is a forum rule.. Never The Vale....

> Never The Ready Meal

>

> (Never is a changeable concept.... I work next to

> a Waitrose and tried their premium premium chili

> recently... but it was, frankly, dogshite.... and

> nearly a fiver's worth of dogshite at that. Some

> mince - a quid - plus ingredients lying about at

> home - 45 mins tops. If you don't have 45 mins for

> food then there is more wrong with life than M&S

> not being nearby)

>

>

> oooh I do rant on this topic don't I?

Sean, You have my full support, even when a bachelor and arriving home late I always cooked my meal (take aways don't copunt as ready meals). I still take the lead in cooking stakes 20 years later.

A baked potato and topping - 60 mins max (during most of whgich you can be doing other things), salad, pasta and home made sauce - 30 mins tops. Special meal, good steak, oven baked chips (slice large baking potato into 8 pieces, rub cooking (olive) oil all over, sprinkle with salt & pepper and bake 25 mins), mushrooms and a tomato - 30 mins again. Grilled mackerel from Moxon's with boiled pots and veg, sausage & mash, vegetable crumble, shepherd's pie with leek & cheese topping, I cannot think of any ready meal that tastes better or costs less than something made at home. Even the "ready steady cook" problem of peering into the fridge and cupboard to conjure up a meal from remnants is more fun, more relaxing and more nutritious than the best waitrose can offer.

Lay the table, add a glass of wine - relaxation and conversation is guaranteed.

Cheers Marmora Man - but I know it can come across as condescending rantage from me...

The list of things you can do that are cheaper/easier/healthier/tastier/shorter than ready meals is exhaustive... but of people don't want to do it it's their choice

But if I hear they "can't" do it then my hackles really rise

Dom,

you dont need M&S foods and wholefoods isnt needed either. Like Lozzi said we have smbs foods that sells foods, Healthmatters, pretty traditional and the butchers and moxons spread around in this great area. The likes of wholefoods and M&S have it under one roof that would spoil the fun of shopping in this area. The shopping length of LL is growing and hopefully will reach the police station soon.

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dom,

>

> you dont need M&S foods and wholefoods isnt needed

> either. Like Lozzi said we have smbs foods that

> sells foods, Healthmatters, pretty traditional

> and the butchers and moxons spread around in this

> great area. The likes of wholefoods and M&S have

> it under one roof that would spoil the fun of

> shopping in this area. The shopping length of LL

> is growing and hopefully will reach the police

> station soon.

Karter, old chap, we don't all have the time or inclination to put it together for ourselves. Moxons is fine but they don't cook it for you, etc, etc.

"Pratts was part of he John Lewis partnership."

Yes, it closed down at the start of the last recession (1988 or 89), apparently as part of a planned contraction and consolidation of business, along with other local JLP shops like the one in Holloway Road (where the Waitrose now is).

I have to admit it would have been a nightmare to upgrade Pratts, and parking would be an absolute nightmare now.

What say we get rid of the stretch of buildings where the Woolwich was located (I know some people live above there so please don't take this as a dig). This would provide a great space for a dept store/ indoor market plus on the top a viewing platform. 3 of my suggestions rolled neatly, or not so as the case may be, into one.

"but a decent art-house-style cinema would be good."

I don't believe that ED had one of the earlier, and therefore smaller cinemas that these seem to be housed in. It's a pity that the there isn't somewhere closer on similar lines to Clapham Picture House or the Ritzy, but even if there were, the curent population my not be able to sustain it.

Besides, I like to venture out to wild-west outposts like Brixton and Clapham occasionally, just to see how they manage without the ED factor!