What shops do we NEED in ED then? (Lounged)

Spangles30

East Dulwich Cinema was opposite Goose Green next to Grove Vale School redeveloped for essential worker housing not that long ago, was it London House? before that was some odd Marharisi type temple. I'd like not to queue at Clapham or do the 10.30 am one at the Ritzy. Lets get another cinema.

"East Dulwich Cinema was opposite Goose Green next to Grove Vale School redeveloped for essential worker housing not that long ago, was it London House?"

Yes, but it wasn't one of the very earlier and smaller cinemas that now tend to accommodate art-house cinemas, like Screen of the Green and the Electric Cinema.

No sadly not but it would be now, it was a very nice cinema, as were the ones in Peckham and Forest Hill. The Greens not doing very well in the opinion polls here perhaps that would make a nice cinema, almost big enough. There used to be a cinema club at St Thomas More (?) hall, is it still going?

"There used to be a cinema club at St Thomas More hall, is it still going"

I was trying to remember the name of that place as a potential site for an indoor market on LL, if it ever closed down. I've only been in there once for a Christmas Fayre type thing a couple of years ago, and it was bit of a dump.

Also, if the Constitutional Club was a bit more entrepreneurial they could update one of their big rooms to hold events, possibly including a cinema club.

>>There is simply NOWHERE in ED that does decent grub to cook at home.<<

Words fail me, unless by "cook" you mean "heat through in a microwave"? Shopping at any permutation of Pretty's, SMBS, Moxon's & William Rose would provide the basics for 1001 home-cooked meals far cheaper and more interesting than the overpriced and overprocessed concoctions on offer from M & S (although their creme caramels are to die for...)

We dont need wholefoods in the area,we have SMBS pretty traditional,East Dulwich tavern,cheeseblock.why does there have to be repetition in a predomoinantly independant shopping district.

Camberwell should have the chains move in,its a dump and chains are better then what it is at the moment,dont you think alan?

I wouldn't mind an M&S, seafood risotto, I was amazed. It's all very well saying there are all the raw ingredients and that M & S is over priced but it is dead convenient. It might actually improve the shopping, er, 'experience' in LL. It could bring people down to LL who don't usually shop there and they might spend more money in the existing shops. No, I don't work for them.

Domitianus, I appreciate not everyone has time for the butcher, baker, candlestickmaker route, but you can just as easily go to the supermarket. When I'm working (long story) I spend far more in Sainsburys than I do on the Lane. Ready meals aren't even "fairly" nutritious or "fairly" fresh ? check the fat content; the stabilisers, preservatives ? and take Sean up on his offer!

re: overpackaged/overprepared, all supermarkets are guilty to an extent, but M&S is the worst I think ? four clingfilmed apples on a polystyrene tray? Packets of grated cheese? I mean, who doesn't have time to grate cheese?

And as for Moxons, they do cook it for you! They've always got some ready made fishcakes that look pretty toothsoome.

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Restaurants:

>

> Yo Sushi

> Pizza Express/Gourmet Pizza/Zizzi/ASK Pizza

> LEON

> Canteen

>

> Home furnishings:

>

> Heals

> Habitat

> Laura Ashley

>

> Grooming/toiletries

>

> Clinique

> Space NK

>

>

> Clothing:

>

> Ralph Lauren

> Gap/Abercrombie

> Jones the Bootmaker

> Top Shop

Alan Dale, I thought better of you. Is this your attempt to downgrade ED to make Cambersmell look better? Or is it just a wind up? I'm going to take it as the latter...

Domitianus Wrote:

> Why not an M&S? There is simply NOWHERE in ED

> that does decent grub to cook at home. Somerfield

> is a joke and trudging through the labarynthine

> aisles of Sainsbury's is enough to deter anyone.

We've just moved to ED from Blackheath, where an M&S Simply Food opened a few months back. Those who have had to suffer M&S being their local 'supermarket' will I'm sure share the frustration of 1) it being vastly overpriced for the basics and 2) it not having anything like the range of ANY other supermarket chain (aisle after aisle of microwave meals and 'picnic food' -- the culinary equivalent of the LL 'tat shops'?). I actually think the Dog Kennel Hill Sainsbury's is exceptionally good, compared to their usual offerings. Well-stocked, good range, and well-priced. Be grateful for what you have!

> M&S provides [..] fair enough prices.

Sadly not true! Only once you've been fleeced a tenner for a loaf of bread, pint of milk, and a poxy jar of sundried tomatoes will this become painfully apparent. :-)

landellite Wrote:

> We've just moved to ED from Blackheath, where an

> M&S Simply Food opened a few months back. Those

> who have had to suffer M&S being their local

> 'supermarket' will I'm sure share the frustration

> of 1) it being vastly overpriced for the basics

> and 2) it not having anything like the range of

> ANY other supermarket chain (aisle after aisle of

> microwave meals and 'picnic food' -- the culinary

> equivalent of the LL 'tat shops'?). I actually

> think the Dog Kennel Hill Sainsbury's is

> exceptionally good, compared to their usual

> offerings. Well-stocked, good range, and

> well-priced. Be grateful for what you have!

>

Is it just me, or, whenever you go into an M&S food place, you always a) spend a fortune and b) come away with loads of goodies you never intended to buy in the first place ...

Still, they do a nice line in chocolate crispy cornflakes in a big plastic tub :)

EDIT: But yeah, just the food equivalent of LL/NCR tat shops

> Is it just me, or, whenever you go into an M&S

> food place, you always a) spend a fortune and b)

> come away with loads of goodies you never intended

> to buy in the first place ...

I remember seeing a comparison of supermarket prices for a trolley full of popular items a couple of years ago. M&S food was one third more expensive than the competition.

macroban Wrote:

> Not many people seem to have read and responded to

> the original question which said "NEED", not

> "want".

>

How about a good gentlemans outfitters with proper trilby hats for sale? Perhaps some of the local yuppies would smarten up a bit then instead of this shorts and sandals nonsense. I used to shop in Gente in LL and jolly smart I looked too.

Except it isn't really lozzyloz - sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one

Telly isn't important to anyone's life, food is

how food gets produced, who produces it, who demands it and how it is sold is a big production with far reaching consequences.

Even if they had the best practices in the world, just the existence of mega supermarkets mean more people now drive to buy food and that has a knock on effect for many of us

People have come to associate food with supermarkets which has made life a lot harder for many growers/farmers/suppliers as well as increasing the amount of packaging and waste. And big articulated lorries unloading outside some people's homes at 4am. And... oh you get the gist

As it happens, we are lucky enough in ED to be able to have indie food suppliers and there is a bit of a renaissance going on but the point remains that the power remains with the big supermarkets

I think we could really do with an 'organic cafe' - like the one in Greenwich, which is extremely reasonably well priced.

We definitely don't NEED a record/CD shop, as they can never compete with the likes of the online retailers price wise.

I think we need a really good unisex clothes shop, and if that means a good chain shop, like a GAP, Joseph, Whistles then so be it.

I would love a genuine Italian deli like Luigi's in Fulham Rd SW10.

I think, like others, that we need a good bakery selling organic bread, some yeastfree, some wheatfree. Cakes and pastries, some sugarfree, some glutenfree.

Someone also mentions an arty cinema would be a blessing and I agree. However, would it do well financially as ED is 'dead' during the week.

Jigsaw

I asked the guy in Jigsaw if the shop was named after the carpentry tool or the children's toy. He said he didn't know so I insisted he rang head office. The fool at head office said the toy.

I then told her that the toy was named after the saw and that as it is a transitive relation the implication is that the shop is therefore also named after the saw.

Imagine her embarrasment! Head office!

Er...Links of London

Tie Rack

Pret a manger

blinder999 Wrote:

>

>

> I remember seeing a comparison of supermarket

> prices for a trolley full of popular items a

> couple of years ago. M&S food was one third more

> expensive than the competition.

Yeah - I think I heard someting similar. You are paying an "aspirational" premium. It's absurd: you pay more because you aspire to shop in a place where you, er, have to pay more. Madness!

No, we defo don't need an M$S.

Still think we need a cake shop - you can get a nice sticky bun at the blue bakery on the corner, but there's nowhere to get good cream cakes, chocolate sponge or cheesecake, etc, etc.