What shops do we NEED in ED then? (Lounged)

Spangles30

This is going way off topic but as someone who buys a fair bit of vinyl I've given up on shops. Way more choice online and that's excluding the Bay of Dismay.

I suppose the bigger issue is that if somewhere the size of Croydon can't support great 2nd hand record caverns like Beanos it doesn't look too good for ED.

As for Chener's I just finished reading a great recommendation from one of the staff. Always found them to be super-helpful.

>>As for Chener's I just finished reading a great recommendation from one of the staff. Always found them to be super-helpful.<<

I have always found Chener's to be a proper book shop, unlike, say, one like Foyle's where some of the assistants might just as well be selling tins of baked beans for all their knowledge of the "product"

cheners are i think, the exception, to snorkys twisted law of retailing - in that , for some unknown reason, they are not there to make a profit.

I dont know why they are there, but suspect they are heavily subsidised by a mysterious cartel of people lurking in thwe shadows - it certianly does not make a profit from its book sales

I have never seen anyone in the kitchen shop opposite Cafe Nero. The thing is you can buy Le Creuset kitchen stuff hugely cheaper online. I feel a bit sorry for some of the independent shops, which admittedly do look rather 'pretty'. However, perhaps they should do their research before opening up round here. We absolutely don't need any more trinket or kitchen type sshops. The discerning amongst us will go to IKEA or buy online.

Spangles30 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have never seen anyone in the kitchen shop

> opposite Cafe Nero. The thing is you can buy Le

> Creuset kitchen stuff hugely cheaper online. I

> feel a bit sorry for some of the independent

> shops, which admittedly do look rather 'pretty'.

> However, perhaps they should do their research

> before opening up round here. We absolutely don't

> need any more trinket or kitchen type sshops. The

> discerning amongst us will go to IKEA or buy

> online.

its called "cookwank"

As someone who has been watching this forum for the last few weeks, I've chosen to join now.

I visited East Dulwich for the first time a couple of months ago, and I can say it is a unique town - But one thing that seems to have a lasting presence on my mind is the extortionate prices in the clothes shops.

I visited a few shops on LL and one on Northcross Street, and the same clothes that are sold for ?15 in the midlands (where I am from) are being sold for ?45+, its crazy

As my family own a retail mens clothing business , im tempted to investigate whether it would be worth opening up around the Dulwich area, but I need an insight from the people of east Dulwich. Could East Dulwich do with a casual men's shop thats not ludricously priced? We sell trendy mens jeans similar to that River Island for around ?20. Smart Hoodies, ( the multi colour stripes etc) the type you would lounge around in for around ?15

Would this work, I'd love to hear your thoughts on a possible mens shop in East Dulwich

Welcome aboard the good ship EDF TheOutsider. I think we could definitely do with another men's shop in East Dulwich but I'm not sure that the sort of garments you have in mind would sell much around here. Also, the rents have shot up so much over the last few years that you would struggle to make a profit.

Thanks for the info Jah Lush

I did have that impression of East Dulwich, because there is not that much volume of customers most the shops try to make a large mark up just to stay in profit.

I'm watching the space around ED ready to make the move? does anyone else think a casual menswear shop would work in ED?

The less discerning Bob might also do as I do and get a lot ofstuff from Freecycle. I just got 3 Le Creuset pans in fact!! Actually, I am jesting with regards to IKEA as I haven't been there for ages, but I am referring to the fact that you can get cheap white crockery, glasses etc. there and not pay extortionate prices.

Still, I work in the public sector and don't have money to burn. However, granted that all these relatively useless shops do look 'pretty', and are good for house prices.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

Sells a lot of very big and very

> cheap kitchenware

Apart from being rubbish to use, 'cheap kitchenware' works-out more expensive in the long run. Invest in some good stuff.. a pan here and a pan there as and when you can afford it, and use it for the rest of your life.

I agree Bob (as far as cookware is concerned). However, all my cheap wine glasses are still intact whereas the expensive ones all break - or are broken. The same goes for crockery. I don't bother buying expensive stuff anymore. However, I do use Le Creuset cookware and swear by it.

peckhamboy Wrote:

> Matalan maybe, *Bob*.

>

> Outsider - I think a menswear shop would probably

> do well in ED provided you get the right sort of

> stuff in. But as others said, you may struggle to

> make much profit because of the rent.

Question-Air in Dulwich Village is the only half decent men's clothes shop in the area imo.

http://www.question-air.com